High Efficient Bookshelf?

yuman

Re: High Efficient Bookshelf?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Feb 2010, 07:20 pm »
I have to 2nd the Tekton 6.5. These speakers are beyond amazing! I'm using them with a 5wpc Glow amp, but they also sounded great with a NAD 325bee. I use them in the nearfield and the soundstage is amazing. I've  also owned the Hsu and Paradigim Atom v6. The speakers replaced the Paradigm studio 20's..at $1,000 pr. No contest! They cost $350.00 in black...I spent $500.00 to get them in Ferrrari red...Hi-gloss and beautiful to match the color of the Glow amp,

batmanslc2

« Reply #21 on: 19 Feb 2010, 08:37 pm »
the tektons are really nice, had a pair as rear surround and played with them up front and I would not hesitate to get them again.

Chairguy is right about quad active, 12L is my main system and they've got it right, by the way I also had Mackie 824 studio monitor.  IMO they do a lot of things well, but I could not connect w the emotion of the music.  I just did not listen as much, it was wierd, I could not pinpoint a problem, just no life to the music.
The quad provides soundstage, freq response ( i do use a sub) detail, spl and emotion! Put a good pre in front of them (currently running musical fidelity A3CR) and big BANG for $$

Well as i read OP, you want passive so forget my ramblings about active quad, however I stand  by the Tekton recommend!

chgolatin2

« Reply #22 on: 20 Feb 2010, 12:07 am »
Tekton looks like a good choice but at $650  hmmmm   :scratch:

Cacophonix

« Reply #23 on: 20 Feb 2010, 01:58 am »
Might be off topic here ...  :oops:, but can someone post a closeup of quad 12L active's rear connections? There is atrociously little information about 12L active online... esp on Quad's homepage.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #24 on: 20 Feb 2010, 04:46 am »
Tekton looks like a good choice but at $650  hmmmm

I believe the Tekton using the Fostex 167e (6.5" driver), which is the same one that Bob Brines uses in many of his excellent designs, is $350.00

chgolatin2

« Reply #25 on: 20 Feb 2010, 01:09 pm »

Do you have a link or additional info to Bob Brines?

Tekton looks like a good choice but at $650  hmmmm

I believe the Tekton using the Fostex 167e (6.5" driver), which is the same one that Bob Brines uses in many of his excellent designs, is $350.00

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #26 on: 20 Feb 2010, 01:18 pm »

chgolatin2

« Reply #27 on: 21 Feb 2010, 01:54 pm »
Klipsh brand of speakers has a pair of bookshelf's rated at 95db :)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #28 on: 21 Feb 2010, 03:27 pm »
Klipsh brand of speakers has a pair of bookshelf's rated at 95db :)

I haven't looked at the site in a while...but they used to use metal domes, too, Robert :(

John

srb

« Reply #29 on: 21 Feb 2010, 03:28 pm »
Klipsh brand of speakers has a pair of bookshelf's rated at 95db

Klipsch.

If I was going to be using a 10W/channel amplifier, I would be looking at 94dB or higher speakers.

On single driver speakers - It's obviously a good idea to audition any speaker before buying, but for me, especially so with single driver speakers.  I've tried a few, but so far I've never been happy with the high end.  My ears prefer a tweeter for the highs.

YMMV.

Steve

TheChairGuy

« Reply #30 on: 21 Feb 2010, 04:51 pm »
On single driver speakers - It's obviously a good idea to audition any speaker before buying, but for me, especially so with single driver speakers.  I've tried a few, but so far I've never been happy with the high end.  My ears prefer a tweeter for the highs.

YMMV.

Steve

Totally - me, too, Steve - tho I don't know your age and that tends to matter.

At 47 now for me, and tho my ears and overall health as good as most 47 year olds, I suspect my treble hearing is down enough to maybe not care about a tweeter anymore :scratch:

Then again, maybe not - I'm happy with the speakers I have, so I care not to venture elsewhere now.

John 

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #31 on: 21 Feb 2010, 11:01 pm »
One speaker that hasn't been mentioned is the Triangle Titus 202.  You can find them used on A'gon for about $250-$275 occasionally but they don't stay long.

Although rated at 90lb, they are very efficient since the mid/woofer plays all the way to 6,000hz before handing off to the tweeter which uses a single cap.  Very minimalist design... just like I like it.

Many use these with tube amps with very good results.  Should be no problem with 10 watts, maybe less.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2010, 10:35 pm by roymail »

chgolatin2

« Reply #32 on: 23 Feb 2010, 02:37 pm »
I just purchase the Audioengine A5 Bamboo on agon for a cheap price so lets see hopefully this will be my "LAST" speaker purchase for now!  :roll:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #33 on: 25 Feb 2010, 07:52 pm »
Bob Brines is a straight shooter, does good work, and is cheap.  His Fostex 167E model is a good value (many won't need a sub with them and of course no stands).

barryso

« Reply #34 on: 25 Feb 2010, 09:16 pm »
Bob Brines has had his speakers at the Lone Star Audio Fest and I've been able to hear them a couple of times.  If you like full range drivers then Bob's work is as nice as it gets: great sound, amazing bass down to the 40 hz region, great workmanship and very reasonable prices.  Bob is a very nice guy, too.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #35 on: 25 Feb 2010, 10:24 pm »
I'm not much of a bookshelf (standmount) fan as the comparable floorstander has more bass and/or efficiency and takes up the same floor space.  Some designers (like VMPS) recommend the stands include a front baffle to extend the bass.  Of course extra cabinet and shipping costs must be considered.

But if you already have a sub or just need HT side/center/rear channels they do make sense (until kitty/doggy/kids knock them over).