WTB: Lowel's Tota, DP and Omni light.

SET Man

WTB: Lowel's Tota, DP and Omni light.
« on: 18 Feb 2010, 05:44 am »
Hey!

Well, I think it is a long shot posting this here. :D

Just wondering if anyone here have Lowel's Tota, DP or Omni light hanging around not using it and want to pass it on to a fellow ACer?

If it in a good condition I will take it if you give me a good price. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

drphoto

Re: WTB: Lowel's Tota, DP and Omni light.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2010, 06:08 am »
Gotta hang on to mine for the time being, but there should be a ton of this stuff around. I've got a small fortune tied up in flash equipment, but I really love tungsten lighting. You can see it and play with it. Don't forget about all the great Mole-Richardson or Altman gear. Since it was used for film/TV might be easier to find. Search ebay for theatrical or TV lighting. In other words, once you're open to tungsten, don't only think 'photo'.

cheers,

joe

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2010, 06:40 am »
Gotta hang on to mine for the time being, but there should be a ton of this stuff around. I've got a small fortune tied up in flash equipment, but I really love tungsten lighting. You can see it and play with it. Don't forget about all the great Mole-Richardson or Altman gear. Since it was used for film/TV might be easier to find. Search ebay for theatrical or TV lighting. In other words, once you're open to tungsten, don't only think 'photo'.

cheers,

joe

Hey!

Yeah, there are some on eBay of which I will keep my eyes on for a good one at a good price.  And actually I just missed a good set of Totas on Craiglist. It was posted on Monday, I email the seller yesterday and it was gone! :o

Anyway, I'm just tried of borrowing and sometime renting stuff like this. So, I think I will better off getting my own in the long run and this things can last a life time... well almost :D

Take care,

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2010, 06:57 am »
Cool, but just remember that there is a ton of great stuff out there that is not necessarily for photography. The downside is, is maybe pretty physically large. I mean even a Mole Baby Solar, is a pretty big unit. You have to get down to the 'inky' size light for them to be really portable.

I'm not sure what you want to accomplish, lighting wise. Hell, even the tungsten 'work' lights from Home Depot could provide a big source in a pinch. (you can email or PM me if you want to discuss further)

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2010, 10:01 pm »
Just curious, how hot is a light like that Mole?  Because we've got this old light at work, not sure what they used it for, but it takes these 600W bulbs and the thing could melt your face off!  You could fry an egg on the barn doors within five seconds of turning it on!  The thing scares me, it's like a fire waiting to happen.  Bright as hell, though, that's for sure.

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2010, 04:02 am »
Just curious, how hot is a light like that Mole?  Because we've got this old light at work, not sure what they used it for, but it takes these 600W bulbs and the thing could melt your face off!  You could fry an egg on the barn doors within five seconds of turning it on!  The thing scares me, it's like a fire waiting to happen.  Bright as hell, though, that's for sure.

Hey!

Got marshmallow? You could make s'more with that light. :lol:

The photographer I work for got one of those big old Mole. I think it a 1000w one with fresnel lens, I this one it from the 60's. Still works but we rarely use it.

Cool, but just remember that there is a ton of great stuff out there that is not necessarily for photography. The downside is, is maybe pretty physically large. I mean even a Mole Baby Solar, is a pretty big unit. You have to get down to the 'inky' size light for them to be really portable.

I'm not sure what you want to accomplish, lighting wise. Hell, even the tungsten 'work' lights from Home Depot could provide a big source in a pinch. (you can email or PM me if you want to discuss further)

Well, I just respond here to bump up the thread maybe someone want to sell DP or Omni see this. Or if others like to talk about lights :wink:

Yeah, I was thinking of picking up work lights from Home depot but that won't give me much light control and those old Moles are too heavy and bulky. Not something I would want to carry around on location. But they are sure cheaper.

Anyway, I went to B&H today and pulled a trigger on a 2 Totas light kit. I know I could have wait and buy used but I need it for this Saturday. So, why rent? Local rental place charge $15 per day for just one Tota I think! :o  I just buy it and now I'm all set. Not to mention that this Saturday gig will pay for the kit and than some.

Well, almost I'm still looking for a DP or Omni. BTW... Hmmm the new Totas are now made in China. :o But they look and feel pretty much the same, hope they are as tough as the old US made one. :D

Take care,

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2010, 04:11 am »
Hi Buddy,

while you are on the shoot why not take a few shots of those Totas? I would love to see them in action, don't know anything about studio lighting.

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2010, 04:10 am »
Hi Buddy,

while you are on the shoot why not take a few shots of those Totas? I would love to see them in action, don't know anything about studio lighting.

Hey!

Sorry, I forgot to take the shot of the setting.  :duh: Actually they didn't give me much time for the shoot. I had to rush through the whole thing before the evening dinner rush start.

I really wish I had more time for this. There are things that I wish I could have done. But I did what I can.

The lighting was pretty much simple with one Tota with 500 watts on each side through tracing paper and one 50 watts halogen spot in the back as back highlight on food and/or beer. I had a small table about 16in x20in  and about 6ftx10ft space to work around... a tight one.   :icon_lol:

Anyway, here are 2 pics from the shoot....

The rest can be seen here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8309248@N06/sets/72157623410530299/

Wish I had more time to do these but good thing they turn out OK.

Oh! BTW.... I'm still looking for a DP or Omni if anyone want to let their go to a good home :wink:

Take care,

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2010, 05:27 am »
Nice! I ready for some beer and some food!