Best "big band" recordings.

roymail

• Roy in TX
Best "big band" recordings.
« on: 18 Feb 2010, 05:01 am »
I love good big band recordings.  I know there's a large variety available and many with excellent vocals.

I was listening to "Blue Light" by Harry Connick Jr. which features his band in an excellent recording on Columbia.  But I'm not picky, I love 'em all... as long as it's a good recording.

Tell us some of your favorite BB recordings.  Thanks!

Mike Nomad

Re: Best "big band" recordings.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2010, 05:31 am »
Count Basie - Atomic Basie (Mono)

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2010, 05:52 am »
The Lyle Lovett and the Large Band disk is quite nice. Any Lyle recording is superb. Not really traditional 'big band' but, good stuff. The opening track, is a pretty straight cover of a Clifford Brown tune however.

On a more traditional note, there is (not sure if still in print) a Mobile Fidelity recording of Louis Armstrong w/ Duke Ellington and his orchestra that sounds terrific. Duke was maybe not a virtuoso pianist, but never the less an excellent and underrated player.  Two legends not trying to out duel one another, but just having fun.

Harry C jr's really good. A great showman, and a nice guy to boot. I met him a few years ago. The "When Harry Met Sally" soundtrack might float your boat.

ZLS

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2010, 06:38 am »
    Duke Ellington  Jazz Party with special guests Dizzy Gillespe and Jimmy Rushing.   

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2010, 07:12 am »
Check out Gordon Goodwin....and his Big Phat Band. 8)

Good stuff, Chris - and very nicely recorded and mixed.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2010, 07:21 am »
Good stuff, Chris - and very nicely recorded and mixed.

They are Russell...unknown to some...that's why I posted it. :wink:

Here's their web site...  :thumb:

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2010, 12:10 pm »
+2 for Gordon Godwin!  Hottest band nowdays - monster players.  My conductor is so impressed with that band and he's a musical expert/pro.

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2010, 01:31 pm »
Check out Gordon Goodwin....and his Big Phat Band. 8)

A few links....

http://www.amazon.com/Swingin-Fences-Gordon-Goodwins-Phat/dp/B0006SSP7G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1266472966&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Property-Gordon-Goodwins-Phat-Band/dp/B0000CABHC

http://www.amazon.com/Gordon-Goodwin/e/B001LHOWZK/ref=ntt_mus_dp_pel

Why can you buy the MP3 album for $9, yet the CD is $18?  Really, the music industry is stupid.  CDs should be $10, and should've been $10 for years now. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2010, 02:10 pm »
 Reference Recordings Big Band. Out of print though but a killer regardless.

charles

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2010, 02:12 pm »
There are a lot of very good contemporary big band recordings but I tend favor the work of the folks who invented the stuff.  For me that goes back to the likes of Fletcher Henderson, Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Count Basie (back when Lester Young was in the band), Duke Ellington, etc.  I enjoy a lot of recordings from 1920s, 30s, and 40s.  A lot of this stuff will not appeal to audiophiles who prize sound quality above everything else.  The music itself is top shelf.

With the advent of magnetic tape, however, sound quality took a quantum leap forward.  There are a lot great big band recordings from about 1950 onward that have stellar sound.  Here are a few of my favorites:

Woody Herman - Mosaic Select

This 3 CD set from Mosaic Records includes all of the 1960s sessions that Woody
Herman recorded for Philips.  Many fans believe that this was the best of the Herman's
Herds and the sound quality is truely great.  This limited edition collection is on
backorder at the moment but Mosaic is expecting new stock to arrive next month. 
Get it before it goes out of print.

Duke Ellington - Blues in Orbit

You can't go wrong with anything that Duke Ellington came out
with for Columbia Records in the 1950s.  Jazz Party is also great
but as much as I love that title Blues in Orbit remains my favorite.
Get them both.

Duke Ellington - Such Sweet Thunder

After you pick up Jazz Party and Blues in Orbit get this one.

Dizzy Gillespie - Birks Works: The Verve Big Band Sessions

Gerry Mulligan and the Concert Jazz Band at the Village Vanguard

--Jerome

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2010, 02:46 pm »
"88 Basie Street".  A most incredible recording.

BobM

« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb 2010, 03:04 pm »
JJ Johnson - the Brass Orchestra - the sound is incredible, but the music is quite a bit different from what you might expect from the old time big bands. It's a little more out there and in some cases slightly dissonant. Still a very good recording with very interesting music.

coldfogey

« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2010, 04:32 pm »
I also like the Bands of the 40's, I also like them well recorded.  One of my favorites is LES BROWN and his band of renown.  The title is "Session # 55". I think it was recorded in 2001.  I know it must be pretty new, Jane Monheit sings two songs on it.  It sounds as good as the Big Phat Band.  The best part is that I know all the songs.  The really best part is that you can get it from Amazon, used from .56 cents plus S&H.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #14 on: 18 Feb 2010, 05:05 pm »
Chris Walden Big Band

http://www.chriswalden.com/ChrisWalden/Big_Band.html

"Home Of My Heart" and "No Bounds" highly recommended.

If you like Gordon Goodwin, you'll love Chris Walden

Russ

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #15 on: 18 Feb 2010, 05:58 pm »
Great suggestions guys.  That should keep me busy for awhile.

I've got an old Alpine reference disc that has 2 big band cuts, "Take the A Train" by Duke Ellington and "Little Brown Jug" by Glen Miller.  Both are very fine recordings that I wish I could find the cd's.  Anyone know? 

coldfogey

« Reply #16 on: 18 Feb 2010, 06:27 pm »
Hey Roymail,

This is your lucky day.  Amazon has 2 versions of Glen Miller "In The Digital Mood" One is the Limited Gold Edition, it has one more track <At Last> than the original CD. It is a very nice track, a wonderful trombone solo. However this  CD goes for $1.56, plus shipping.  The original CD goes for .01 cents plus shipping.  Both are very well recorded.  It is probably the best you will ever hear Glenn Miller.  If you like "Little Brown Jug" you will love "American Patrol"

The first cut is "In The Mood"  stay with it until near the end, it always  gives me goose bumps.

simoon

« Reply #17 on: 18 Feb 2010, 08:37 pm »
If you're into modern big band, more progressive stuff, I highly recommend;

Or;

This is incredible beyond words. To clarify, when many people think of modern progressive jazz, they might think 'free jazz'. These are not that, they are well composed and arranged.

Another great one is;

Wayner

« Reply #18 on: 18 Feb 2010, 09:11 pm »
How about the Brian Setzer Orchestra. I have most and enjoy them all. Great recordings!

Wayner  8)

Mike Nomad

« Reply #19 on: 18 Feb 2010, 10:12 pm »
I also like the Bands of the 40's, I also like them well recorded.  One of my favorites is LES BROWN and his band of renown.  The title is "Session # 55". I think it was recorded in 2001.  I know it must be pretty new, Jane Monheit sings two songs on it.  It sounds as good as the Big Phat Band.  The best part is that I know all the songs.  The really best part is that you can get it from Amazon, used from .56 cents plus S&H.

+1. Lou Rawls is the other guest vocalist. Available as DTS/DVD-A.