Looking at two Measurement Mics and Have Question About XLR Connectors

marsx

Hi,
I'm looking at two different low end measurement mics to connect to my computer audio card through a preamp.  One is the Dayton Audio EMM-6, which says it has an XLR connector with 200 ohms between pins 2 and 3 and the Behringer ECM8000 which describes its connection as XLR at 600 ohms.  Both can take phantom power from 15v to 48v, does the ohms described above have anything to do with whether either or both will or will not work in a standard audio preamp?
I know the Behringer will, because they say it will in their literature; but the Dayton Audio, which I would prefer, says 200 ohms between pins 2 and 3.  Can anyone tell me what they mean by that and whether that will affect its ability to plug into a standard XLR input in a standard studio preamp?

Thanks!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
The standard ECM8000's do not come with calibration data.  The EMM-6 does.

When I had my ECM8000 calibrated it was about $40, so it was closer to $90 for the total.

If you are looking to use the calibration data with a program like RoomEQ Wizard, you will need the data.  The EMM-6 appears to come with a graph.  You would need to interpret the data to build a file for the program.  You might want to ask Dayton if they offer a file with the calibration data besides the graph.

I use a standard ART or M-Audio balanced mic preamp with phantom power with my ECM8000 and it works well.

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
I have an extremely high quality Audix TR-40 calibration mic, in new condition. Much better than either one you listed. It sells for $189, if you're interested, make an offer.

santacore

Both the mic's mentioned will work fine with a standard mic preamp that has phantom power.