2 receivers to one pair of speakers. Can I do this?

duff138

« on: 27 Jan 2004, 08:36 pm »
can i go cd player-> panasonic-> speakers, then for turntable go
turntable -> integrated amp -> same pair of speakers the panasonic is hooked up to.

basically want to run speaker wire from panasonic to speakers and speaker wire from integrated to speakers.  So if I listen to CDs I can use panasonic and when I want turntable I can turn on integrated.

byteme

« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2004, 09:20 pm »
In my experince you can't do this without putting a speaker selector in the equation someplace.  You'd route the speaker wire out of each receiver/integrated and to the selector and then one run of speaker wire to the speakers.  You'd then, obviously, select which source you want to listen to.

infiniti driver

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2004, 03:32 am »
You could go, CD player>panasonic>speakers and use the intergrated with the volume all the way down as the phono preamp and come out of its tape out to another input to the panasonic. That way you will have all sources ready. I would advise against using both amplifier sections on the same set of loudspeakers.
Bytemes soultion will work though.

manek

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2004, 04:39 pm »
why cant you play the Cd and the turntable both from the integrated ?

whats the use of the panasonic ?

duff138

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2004, 06:11 pm »
Quote from: manek
why cant you play the Cd and the turntable both from the integrated ?

whats the use of the panasonic ?

the panasonic seems to be best used with the simple path cd player->digital cable-> panasonic-> speakers.

the digital amplification with the panasonic sounds better than the cd player-> analog interconnects-> integrated amp->speakers

but the turntable sounds better going through phono amp to integrated to speakers.  it does not sound as good using the panasonic instead of the integrated amp.

the panny is being used as a DAC basically

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2004, 10:05 pm »
Essentially if you did this, you'd be hooking up 2 outputs together.  This is a great way to have a receiver train wreck.  Which one would blow first?  :lol:

If one was always off when the other was on, it'd be risky at best.  Plus, I don't know how kindly those MOSFET's would take to getting charged in reverse.  Would that make the display blink? ;)

It sounds like you need a different piece of gear in order to operate optimally.  I wish I could recommend a good stop-gap measure but, the responses above should be good insight into the best plan of attack.

Good luck..

Mad DOg

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2004, 10:19 pm »
as others have said, this would not be a good idea.

duff138

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2004, 10:23 pm »
thanks.  i'll just use the panny in my home theater set up if i keep it.