Help Understanding Measurement Mic Calibration

marsx

Help Understanding Measurement Mic Calibration
« on: 16 Feb 2010, 01:00 am »
What does Calibration of a Mic Mean exactly, (Measurement Microphone)?  I read a lot about how important it is to get a mic used for measurement (such as speaker accuracy or room accuracy), but I'm unclear about exactly what it means.  When someone calibrates the mic, do they actually physically alter something, or do they recommend that you place some device, like an EQ, between the Preamp and Amp or inserted in amp or do they just mean they compare it to a reference mic and then provide readouts or printouts of what the graph of your mic is compared to a flat mic?  Can anyone clue me in and help me understand.

Thanks,
marsx

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Help Understanding Measurement Mic Calibration
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2010, 01:18 am »
When you have your mic calibrated, you'll receive the same mic back without any changes ... and a correction file that you load into your measurement software before taking any measurements.  The correction file is essentially data that shows any deviations from flat.  So when you take a measurement after loading the correction data, small + or - changes are made where the mic was found to be other than flat.