Proper mounting of Bridge Rectifier ?

Abby356

Proper mounting of Bridge Rectifier ?
« on: 15 Feb 2010, 11:05 pm »
Forgive my ignorance in advance but I am about to wrap up my first amp build and am unsure about mounting the 2 bridge rectifiers. Its a DIY First Watt F1 in a chassis that has a metal painted bottom. Obviously the bottom of the rectifiers is metal and i am questioning whether the paint needs to be removed from the chassis where the rectifier is mounted ?

Regards, Daniel.

jules

Re: Proper mounting of Bridge Rectifier ?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2010, 11:48 pm »
If the case is steel or only thin aluminium maybe you could consider getting hold of a couple of heat sinks for the rectifiers. They do put out a reasonable amount of heat and they will last longer if they run cooler. That said, I have no direct experience with the First Watt so maybe someone who does can contribute.

jules

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2010, 12:59 am »
Daniel:
What is the voltage and amperage rating of your bridge rectifiers?

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:29 am »
The metal case of the rectifier does not need to touch bare metal of your chassis. You don't need to scrape off any paint, just mount it and that's all! The metal case of the rectifier partially acts as a heatsink.

Abby356

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2010, 05:26 am »
Thanks for the quick responses everyone. The bottom of the case is a thin painted steel. So if I'm reading correctly the metal bottom of the rectifier is to help dissipate heat ?

Chris the rectifiers are 200v 35a. I honestly can't remember where i pulled the Digikey part # from but I'm guessing it was from a BOM on Diy Audio.

Daniel

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:37 pm »
Yes, it's to disipate heat, mount them and don't worry about a thing.