Krell vs Bryston pre -> 7B SST -> PMC PB1i

RonCH

Krell vs Bryston pre -> 7B SST -> PMC PB1i
« on: 15 Feb 2010, 01:58 pm »
Hello,

Has anyone had experience with the Krell Evo 222, and how does it compare to the Bryston preamps?  I already have a pair of Bryston 7B SST Power amps and PMC PB1i speakers.  I can get the Krell ( ex demo ) at a very good price and as I need a preamp with HT bypass, the BP 26 is out - that leaves me with just the BP16 from Bryston. 

How does the Krell 222 sound, does it sound good with Bryston power amps? Or am I better off going for a BP16?

Thanks

Ron

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Krell vs Bryston pre -> 7B SST -> PMC PB1i
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2010, 06:13 pm »
All I can say is that technically and subjectively, Bryston amps and preamps go great together. I wouldn't have it any other way.

gerald porzio

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2010, 06:56 pm »
At least Bryston will still be in business in the foreseeable future.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2010, 08:32 pm »
Hello,

Has anyone had experience with the Krell Evo 222, and how does it compare to the Bryston preamps?  I already have a pair of Bryston 7B SST Power amps and PMC PB1i speakers.  I can get the Krell ( ex demo ) at a very good price and as I need a preamp with HT bypass, the BP 26 is out - that leaves me with just the BP16 from Bryston. 

How does the Krell 222 sound, does it sound good with Bryston power amps? Or am I better off going for a BP16?

Thanks

Ron

Ron,

another question: what is the HT bypass doing for you? i mean what connections will it have considering the Krell preamp? will it have something like a multichannel bypass?

al.

RonCH

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2010, 08:56 pm »

Ron,

another question: what is the HT bypass doing for you? i mean what connections will it have considering the Krell preamp? will it have something like a multichannel bypass?

al.

By HT bypass I mean for example the PASS THROUGH MODE of the BP16:
PASS THROUGH mode sets the pre-amp gain to 1 (unity gain) and locks out the volume & balance controls for any single analog audio source. For example, if the Front Left and Front Right outputs of a home theater surround sound processer were connected to the TV input of the BP16, and then PASS THROUGH was engaged then wher- ever TV input is selected the volume and balance con- trols would be locked at unity gain. If other inputs were subsequently selected, volume and balance controls return to normal operation for those other input sources. Only the TV inputs would be locked at unity gain. PASS THROUGH mode, therefore, can only be assigned to one input at a time, but that input can be any one of the analog audio inputs. The power amplifier stage is not affected by PASS THROUGH mode.
The Krell also has this functionality, but they call it Theater Mode.

Levi

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2010, 09:57 pm »
Have you tried a fully balanced tube preamp with HT Bypass mode like the BAT VK51SE?  I am using one in conjunction with PMC LCR, 7B and 9B amps.  You can get the BAT preamp cheap at audiogon.  In my opinion, nothing can beat a tube preamp as far as three dimensionality in sound.  You guys should try it.  :thumb:

yyz

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2010, 05:51 am »
Another worthy preamp for the Brystons is the BAT VK-42SE (Solid State).  It has the fixed volume stuff for HT by-pass.

RonCH

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies, but what I like is the Bryston sound and I was just wondering if the Krell was even worth considering (at a very good price).  I’m in Switzerland so I don’t have the opportunities you guys have to check out various other brands.  In the end I want something that sounds like a Bryston, so I think that I’m probably better off going for the BP16. 

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:28 pm »
If you join a local audio club, chances are you will be exposed to a myriad of audio gears and their sound signature. My point is, how would you like a tube preamp would sound like if you have no exposure to tubes.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2010, 10:42 pm »
Thanks for the replies, but what I like is the Bryston sound and I was just wondering if the Krell was even worth considering (at a very good price).  I’m in Switzerland so I don’t have the opportunities you guys have to check out various other brands.  In the end I want something that sounds like a Bryston, so I think that I’m probably better off going for the BP16. 

Yes, yes you are. It's a great preamp, imo. Very underrated. If I had the money I would have bought that instead of the BP6. But, c'est la vie.