Multiple Inputs switch box

Alexdad54

Multiple Inputs switch box
« on: 14 Feb 2010, 02:57 pm »
Hi all,
I have a question. I am currently using a Mapletree Audio Ultra 4A SE tubed preamp with 4 inputs+phono but unfortunately I have too many sources for the 4 inputs. My current solution is running the lowest grade sources (Nakamichi 680 cassette deck, Oppo DV983-H DVD player, FIOS cable box & Briteview Cinematube media player) through  a Niles AXP-1 rotary switch box (5 inputs/one out) and then on into the Mapletree pre.
My question is whether the Niles is considered "transparent" or might it be wiser to go for a more "audiophile" quality such as a Mapletre LR-1 (which is reasonably priced and of course would match my pre  :D ), a Goldpoint SW4 or something else? I have a lot of concerts on DVD and some rare old cassettes and I feel that both the Oppo DVD player and the Nakamichi 680 merit a decent connection.
Grateful for all ideas!

sugbob21

Re: Multiple Inputs switch box
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2010, 10:20 pm »
Decware Audio makes a rotary switchbox which i use. Has 6 inputs

Alexdad54

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2010, 10:46 pm »
Decware Audio makes a rotary switchbox which i use. Has 6 inputs
Hmmm, that appears  identical to my Niles AXP-1 and one fellow on Audio Asylum goes so far as to claim it is the same item....

bprice2

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2010, 11:44 pm »
I have the Mapletree input switcher and everything sounds great through it.  Like you, I route my lower quality sources through it.  At one point, I ran everything through the Mapletree switcher and I could hear a very minor degradation of sound, or at least I thought I could.

I purchased the Mapletree LR-1 based on what I heard folks saying here at AC regarding its higher quality.

lcrim

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2010, 02:02 am »
The Niles Switchbox has 5 inputs and the Decware has 6.  Not the same unit. I have the Decware unit as I have an older model Select amp and need digital and analog inputs. Actually pretty decent quality.
The Mapletree LR-1 is of higher perceived quality and price.  Manley Labs also offers a switching solution  called the Skipjack that is a good deal more sophisticated  using an electronic logic matrix that is programmed.  It is also on the pricey side- about $900 last time I checked.

Alexdad54

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2010, 02:29 am »
The Niles Switchbox has 5 inputs and the Decware has 6.  Not the same unit. I have the Decware unit as I have an older model Select amp and need digital and analog inputs. Actually pretty decent quality.
The Mapletree LR-1 is of higher perceived quality and price.  Manley Labs also offers a switching solution  called the Skipjack that is a good deal more sophisticated  using an electronic logic matrix that is programmed.  It is also on the pricey side- about $900 last time I checked.
I stand corrected!
The deeper I dig, the more I find....I saw the Manley Skipjack and so far it costs the most  but there is also  a custom option built by AmpBox for about $325, 47 Laboratory has one for $800, Goldpoint SW4 is about $325 and the Moth Audio PS5 is $395 (beautiful case too!).
I think I'll drop a line to Dr. Lloyd at Mapletree and ask him about the best options for a custom LR-1.
Many thanks to all who responded! :thumb: