Albums you didn't want to like but love anyway

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 27 Jan 2004, 05:56 am »
Anybody have any bands or albums that you really expected to/wanted to dislike due to their image or hype?  For me, Flaming Lips was one of those.  With every critic and his dog lining up to sniff their ass, I was just sure I'd despise them.  Still, when TAS rave 'em I took notice.  And when Yoshimi came out on DVD-A I jumped- and a couple discs later I'm just totally in love with them. :inlove:

Beck is another.  With the smarmy image he has, and all the talk, I really wanted to hate that sucker.  But I think Sea Change is friggin' hipnotically brilliant.

One last one:  Coldplay.  I'm so sick of hearing about their singer tagging Gweneth Paltro, etc, but what I've heard of them so far has made me think I'll probably have to buy A Rush of Blood to the Head.

Two more teachers pets that I'm finally going to have to break down and listen too:  Wilco & Radiohead.  I wanna hate em, but I'll probably end up digging em.

Any discs you guys have wanted to hate, only to find you really liked it?

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2004, 12:41 pm »
I never thought I'd like Lyle Lovette but I find his music very entertaining.
Especially when he gets his Big Large Band swinging.

There are a couple of albums that I really like but are not considered great by their fans:
Elvis Costello- Spike
Miles Davis - Amandila

Eric

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2004, 04:03 pm »
Anything by the Monkeys

Tbadder1

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2004, 04:16 pm »
Certain Dinosaur Rock Lps I like even though they're a) derivative, or b) not loud enough or fast enough:

Led Zeppelin--II (ripped off every single song)
Tears For Fears--Songs From The Big Chair (really embarrassing)
Led Zeppelin--Physical Graffitti (has to be one of the slowest lps of all time, really boring)
Yes--Relayer (prog rock, indulgent and self-important)
Kiss--Live (other than Styx, the single biggest waste of space known to humankind)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2004, 04:03 am »
I feel your pain:  I really love a few of those Tears For Fears songs.  It's probably nostalgia in my case (graduated HS in '87).

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2004, 04:10 am »
Listen to Wilco, but more importantly listen to Uncle Tupelo.

Here are a few I thought I wouldn't like:

Johnny Cash
Lucinda Williams

mcrespo71

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2004, 06:29 am »
Justin Timbalake- Justified-  I'm actually not kidding on this one.  For a pop album, it's quite good.  It reminds me of early Michael Jackson (off the wall era).

George W

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2004, 12:12 pm »
Sickeningly I must agree with mcrespo71

meilankev

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2004, 02:40 pm »
Rob,

When I saw the title of your thread, my initial reaction was "Why in the world would I (or anyone) buy an album/CD if they were hoping/expecting to dislike it?"  This is my hard-earned cash we're talking about.

Then, I remembered that I am not the norm.  I don't listen to the radio;  I don't watch MTV/VH-1; I haven't watched the Grammys in years;  I don't sample/download songs off the internet.  Once I came to my senses, I realized there's many ways for music-lovers to get exposure to artists without plopping down money first.

If I just don't take advantage of these possibilities, that's my problem.  For folks like me, a more fitting thread would be:

"Which albums have you bought lately that you wish to God you hadn't wasted your money on?"

Now, that is a thread I could identify with!

Kevin

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2004, 03:46 pm »
Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
George Michaels - Listen without Prejudice...
Pretty much anything by Neil Diamond
Metallica - the Black Album
Jerry Rafferty - City to City

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2004, 03:39 am »
Well, meilankev, I was more talking about things you stubbornly keep disliking until you actually listen to them! :lol:   I'll often form a reactionary dislike to stuff that gets hyped to death.  But if enough people I trust keep harping on me, I'll often give it a try.  And I'm open minded enough to admit something is great even if I fully expected it to stink.

Justin Timberlake would be that kind of thing.  The guy seems like half a fag, and his previous band sucked the big one.  On the basis of that I'd expect his solo stuff to blow the dead.  And maybe it does, I don't have the guts to listen to it (if I ended up liking him I'd have to shoot myself! :lol: ).

When I was a kid I passionately hated mushrooms- they looked funny and felt like little erasers.  Then one day when I was 12, I accidentally ate a piece of pizza without looking to see if there were 'shrooms on it- low and behold, it was great!  All I had to do was set aside my opinion long enough to try them.

BTW, I did post a thread a while back about albums you wanted to like, but eventually had to admit sucked.  For example, I worship Liz Phair, so despite all the scathing reviews I bought her new CD.  And since she kicks ass, I wanted to like it, really I did.  But after cracking the windows to let the stink of that awful disc air out I had to admit that it's fucking dreadful.

Sorry, Liz.  I still love you though! :inlove:

TG

« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2004, 07:11 am »
Kiss.

I avoided them like the plague when they first emerged just because I couldn't stand the whole glam/schmaltz image thing.  Then one day I  accidentally tuned into a live performance on TV and was unwittingly hooked in.

Not the greatest musicians (Ace is pretty sloppy, actually) but much, much better in concert than I'd expected.

Mind you, I didn't rush out and buy any of their albums either :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2004, 07:19 am »
Honestly I think Ace was the only one with any talent at all, of the original guys.  Gene can't sing a note, Paul is average/mediocre, Kris was a laughably mediocre drummer and one trick pony as a singer.  Granted, over the years they've all learned to play passably, but starting out Ace was the only member with any above average instrumental ability.

That said, I really love Kiss.  The had a lot of attitude and many great songs.  I don't have many of their albums, but I do have Unmasked and Dynasty.  And the  remastered "Double Platinum," too.  Eventually I'd like to buy a couple of the '78 Solo's and The Elder.  (My brother has all the remasters, all the originals, most of 'em also on tape, some 8 track & LPs, too! :o   He's a Kiss fanatic, so I've heard 'em all a zillion times).

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2004, 12:33 pm »
One artist I ignored was Ani DiFranco, thinking she was just a radical feminist to whom I probably wouldn't relate. Alana Davis covered Ani's "32 Flavors" and I loved it, finally causing me to break down and buy the original Ani version.  Ani also got some mainstream exposure on TV when "Plastic Castles" came out, so I bought that as well.  I've ended up buying all of her stuff though some of the later CD's aren't as appealing.

She IS a feminist, but one I can relate to.

elektratig

« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2004, 12:00 am »
With all due respect, you guys are pikers.  My confession is that I'm addicted to Eminem.  Until last Fall I was sure that he was an utterly repugnant human being who symbolized everything I detest and made disgusting, horrible music to boot.  Last Fall, a nephew gave me a copy of "The Eminem Show" to test out a new subwoofer.  The CD confirmed that Eminem is an utterly repugnant human being who makes incredibly addictive -- and I must confess, often hilarious -- music.  He is truly my guilty pleasure.

Tempest Sub Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=130

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2004, 12:38 am »
I do agree with the repugnant part- although he's Mr. Milquetoast compared to the hardcore guys.  The Rap Weird Al thing isn't getting many chuckles from me, though.

BTW, what's a "piker?"