Salk Crossover Design Studio temporarily closed

jsalk

Salk Crossover Design Studio temporarily closed
« on: 12 Feb 2010, 02:12 pm »
Dennis asked me to post this picture so people would understand why things have ground to a halt at his crossover design studio...

Reminds me of my youth in Minnesota.

- Jim

divisionbell77

Re: Salk Crossover Design Studio temporarily closed
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2010, 02:29 pm »
On the East side of Cleveland we call that a 'dusting.'

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2010, 02:57 pm »
Well,

That may be so but that is exactly the reason why we have been totally shut in for a week.  People in lake affect snow zone are used to it.  Those of us near the coast are not.  Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington have all accumulated 5 to 6 time normal snowfall.  Not only did we not have enough snow clearing equipments, we also have infrastructures that were not designed to handle this kind of snow.  With all the Jersey walls and tight shoulders in densely populated areas, we just simply ran out of places to plow the snow to and lost lanes.  Top loaders and bulldozers have to truck the snow out, which is a very slow way to clear snow. 

divisionbell77

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2010, 03:01 pm »
Believe me i know.  My sister lives in Baltimore(Waverly neighborhood) and has 50 inches of snow.  City is shut down, nothing they can do.  Her neighbors actually shoveled their road.  With the city being all street parking, there is not much plows can do anyways.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2010, 03:38 pm »
Gee, this looks like my front yard right now, completely normal for this time of the year.

Except that the streets and highways are plowed dry and there is no transportation problems here in Minnesota at all.

Good luck with the shovels.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2010, 03:51 pm »
Yeah Yeah.....But do you have 150,000 bureaucrats trying to drive on snow for the first time?  In any event, the design studios have reopened and fresh supplies of resistors, capacitors, and inductors have arrived.  I'm just finishing up the prototype SnowBird. 

vintagebob

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2010, 04:02 pm »
Yeah Yeah.....But do you have 150,000 bureaucrats trying to drive on snow for the first time?  In any event, the design studios have reopened and fresh supplies of resistors, capacitors, and inductors have arrived.  I'm just finishing up the prototype SnowBird.

The SnowBird is the one with the CRYSTAL clear sound?  ; )

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2010, 04:26 pm »
The SnowBird is the one with the CRYSTAL clear sound?  ; )

Actually, it just produces white noise.   Very restful. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2010, 05:47 pm »
Actually, it just produces white noise.   Very restful.

Beats the Blizzard model alternative! :oops: :green:

Pez

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2010, 05:53 pm »
Ahhh that's a cute little powdering you got there! Here's a photo from a couple years back here in sunny Colorado.  :lol:

My car... I think

TomW16

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:11 pm »
All of this snow talk reminds me of the Canadian high speed chase caught on camera.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YiVchVOZhc

OgOgilby

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:17 pm »
Those shots remind me of my youth when I used to walk 10 miles to school in the snow, barefoot, uphill both ways...

martyo

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:18 pm »
All of this snow talk reminds me of the Canadian high speed chase caught on camera.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YiVchVOZhc

:lol: 8)

OgOgilby

« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:23 pm »
All of this snow talk reminds me of the Canadian high speed chase caught on camera.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YiVchVOZhc.

Classic!

prpixel

« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2010, 03:26 pm »
Hey, I actually walked over a mile, in the snow, wearing only socks because my parents didn't have the money to buy me a pair of shoes and nothing they had at the Goodwill fit.  It's a miracle I didn't loose any toes.  The Vice-Principal of my High Schools didn't take to kindly to it.  After having the nurse examine my feet, he drove me home to chastise my mother.  On the way, he stopped and bought me a pair of sneakers out of his own pocket.  After that, I stopped pulling pranks on him such as helping to carry his VW Beetle up to the third floor and parking it in the Library. 

Here, in South Jersey, we got two feet of snow.  The people here have no clue as to how to deal with snow.  Heck, when we get an inch of accumulation, they close the county and roll up the sidewalks.  Everybody runs to the store and stocks up on bottle water, milk, and frozen pizza.  The crowds at the markets are horrendous and the shelves are bare.  You would think that the only food they keep in the house is a package of frozen hotdogs and a half package of stale crackers.  Me, I always have a stock of beverages, enough canned/processed food to last at least a week or two, and a box of powdered milk.  If the electricity goes out for a long time, pack your refrigerator and freezer with bags of ice and snow.  If the water goes out, melt snow to flush the toilet.  Heck, in all my years living here the power has never gone out for more than a few hours.  When the snow stops, you dig out and life goes on.  The snow plow is never more than a day or two away.

HoosierInOhio

« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2010, 03:58 am »
On the East side of Cleveland we call that a 'dusting.'

You still in the Cleveland Area?  I'm on the west side in Avon?  What Salks do you have?  Pretty much set on getting the Songtower RTs. 

funkmonkey

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2010, 04:01 am »
I suppose you guys don't want to hear that it is going to be sunny and 78º here tomorrow  :wink:

edit:  Being born and raised in the Detroit area, I actually miss the snow.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2010, 09:08 am by funkmonkey »

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2010, 06:09 am »
Dennis:

That looks pretty bad.  We get that much snow in Boston occasionally, but we have plows, snow throwers, and all-wheel drive vehicles.

Hope you did OK.  You are supposed to get more snow tomorrow, according to The Weather Channel.

Henry

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2010, 10:50 am »
Ya it's bad here too. We got a dusting about an inch and they shut the schools down, sent everyone home

jsalk

Snow stories
« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb 2010, 02:21 pm »
I told Dennis this story the other day and I'm certainly showing my age, but what the heck...

Back in 1965, I was in high school and wanted to earn extra money to buy a guitar.  So I got a 50-cent per hour job, a couple of miles from home, collecting eggs at a chicken farm. 

I think it was about March 17th when we were slammed with a blizzard - about 10 feet of snow.  Then, on about the 23rd, we got slammed again.  Snow drifts were about 20 - 25 feet tall.

I know this depth was correct because the chicken barns were two stories tall and I had to shovel to get down into the second story window so I could collect the eggs after that second storm.

Minnesota winters were always rough back then, but that was one I'll never forget.

- Jim