Why are audio power triodes so expensive?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Why are audio power triodes so expensive?
« on: 12 Feb 2010, 12:57 pm »
A triode is easier to build than a pentode. It has to be- there are fewer parts. Why are they so expensive? My guess is they must be a novelty item. 

Ericus Rex

Re: Why are audio power triodes so expensive?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2010, 01:56 pm »
And they are not used in guitar amps.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2010, 02:00 pm »
And they are not used in guitar amps.

This. Demand in a high-end market.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2010, 02:19 pm »
Thank goodness for guitar amps!  :D

As far as the high end market: If there was more demand, the price would be much lower. Perhaps manufacturers are purposely bottle necking supplies? If they were reasonably priced, more amps would be made with power triodes.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2010, 02:22 pm »
You should be kidding.   Seems to me all big brand guitar amps are pentode for hi efficiency, except some expensive hand made amp.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2010, 02:24 pm »
Guitar amp companies buy allot of tubes and that keeps prices down vs. triodes.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2010, 02:29 pm »
It is more than just demand.  It is also a matter of status and what the market will bear.

Demand for cheap Chinese made tubes is relatively low.  A NOS matched pair of Western Electric 300Bs will go for a fortune.  The former does not enjoy any particular status as a revered product among audiophiles.  The latter is a legendary product that few audiophiles could even hope to listen to, much less own.

The Chinese are catching on though, what with all the boutique/designer tubes coming from the Far East these days and commanding fairly high price premiums to boot.

--Jerome

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2010, 02:52 pm »
I have never heard a WE 350B. Does its price really justify the sonic difference vs. other 300B's or it it more of a status symbol? 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2010, 02:58 pm »
In the natural world, predators seek out the weak and vulnerable and exploit them. The business world works the same way.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2010, 03:13 pm »
I have never heard a WE 350B. Does its price really justify the sonic difference vs. other 300B's or it it more of a status symbol?

That's a matter of individual value judgment.  There are some audio reviewers and audiophiles who feel there is no better 300B tube in existence.  Personally I would never throw down the $4,000 to $5,000 it would take to buy a NOS pair of WE 300Bs.  Right now I am using Chinese made Sophia Princess 300B Mesh Plates in my tube mono blocks and think they sound great.  New stock WE300Bs have had somewhat limited availability (demand has far outstripped the available supply).  My understanding is that production will be ramping up this year at a new plant and availability of new stock Western Electric tubes will be much improved once all of the back orders are filled.  The price is a much more reasonable $900 per matched pair.  Still expensive and many audiophiles will have a hard time justifying the cost.

--Jerome

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2010, 03:13 pm »
Good point and I agree, but this is regarding a hobby and not groceries or other necessary staples. People are not forced to buy anything. The purchase of a WE350b is 100% free will with full adult consent. It is not a life of death situation or anything that impacts a person's standard of living forcefully.

I do not view this as a serious topic. Informative, maybe.

What about the WE350B? Do the reviews justify the price?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2010, 05:38 pm »
It boils down to personal decision. If you have it and want to spend it good for you. If not good for you as well. Bang for the buck is where it is at.
  Our hobby appears to concentrate on the premise of " High End" customer [ 3% not the average hobbyist. Thank God for Nightshade.
  As far as NOS triode tubes go they are some 50 years old. Rare and desireable so the high price. Which is understandable.  It is the new tubes prices that are tough to swallow. I use 211s a KR is close to $1100/ pair, TJ Meshplate $500/ pr. Nos GE cost me $700/ pair. RCA about the same or higher and the United over $1400.
  It was my choice to pay those numbers, each tube has its own character and should last over 10,000 hours. So for me worth every penny.
  So [2] $2000 powercords or tubes.  Again bang for the buck and personal choice.

charles