Center for Strata Minis

LejfK

Center for Strata Minis
« on: 11 Feb 2010, 08:43 pm »
Hi, I guess it's time for me to come out of hiding (long time listener, first time caller).

Right now I'm running a 7.1 setup with the AV123 Strata Mini's as the L/R channel, a Onix Ref 100 for the center and four Ref 0.5s for surround duties (and one MFW-15).  Anyway, the Ref 100 is a leftover from a prior system and I have an opportunity to sell it (along with a old pair of Ref 1s).  So, I'm looking for a compatible replacement center channel.

I know people run the AV123 X-Voce as a center with Minis/LS-6/9s.  However, it looks like either a single horizontal NS3 or OB-5 would give more bang for the buck - plus, I could theoretically have it built with a rosewood finish which would "match" my Minis/Ref .5 instead of getting a black X-Voce which would just "go" with everything. 

So, two basic questions.  First, given the choice, would you folks go with the NS3 or the OB?  I've already asked Danny and he says both would work fine, but the OB is a "step above" the Minis.  (Not sure what that means since I thought he designed the x-over for the Minis.  I assume he means the open baffle is a better design and/or the BG planar is a step up from the Minis' tweeters/mids.)  FWIW, I already have the Ninja elite x-over in the Minis.

Next, how would you guys recommend I get the speaker cabinet of my dreams built?  I do not have the time, tools or talent for diy right now, so a flat pack won't do it.  (Trust me, I've done diy in the past).  Any enterprising forum members interested in building a single cabinet?  I'm in central California, if that matters.  If possible, I'm thinking of a satin rocket rosewood finish with piano black caps - like the AV123 "Bigfoot"  http://www.av123.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=30&category_id=19&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37  If this is possible, I think that would be the best possible match for the Mini's finish.  http://www.av123.com//index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=271&Itemid=37
 Any potential builders feel free to PM me as needed to avoid breaking the forum's rules.

Your thoughs - fire away!!! :green:

skeeter99

Re: Center for Strata Minis
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2010, 09:31 pm »
Well I've already responded over at AV123 but since you're talking about the N3S as a possible center I'll give a little input as well. I'm waiting for Danny to call me so I can order it up but I'm going to build a set of N3's and an N3S for a secondary setup at my house. I should probably have them built within the month so if you want to wait a little bit I can get the N3S built and try it out with my Mini's in my system and see how it compares to the X-Voce. Like I said at AV123, I've had the REF100 and the X-Voce matched with the Mini's and feel the Voce is a much better match than the REF. If the N3S is better than the Voce, I'll be sure to let you know ... and I'll probably build another one for that setup too!

LejfK

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2010, 09:38 pm »
I was betting you were going to weigh in Skeeter99.  Are you going to build the cabs yourself?  What finish?

I'm a little concerned because I did diy monitors in the past (an ACI kit - that dates me), and my finish work was terrible.  One thing you have to say about AV123 speakers - great finish (assuming UPS doesn't destroy them on route).

mojave

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2010, 09:47 pm »
There are Strata Mini's on the B-stock list at av123 right now. Why don't you guys split a pair and each use one for your center. Of course then you would need an acoustically transparent screen.  :icon_lol:

skeeter99

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2010, 09:50 pm »
I was betting you were going to weigh in Skeeter99.  Are you going to build the cabs yourself?  What finish?

I'm a little concerned because I did diy monitors in the past (an ACI kit - that dates me), and my finish work was terrible.  One thing you have to say about AV123 speakers - great finish (assuming UPS doesn't destroy them on route).

I am going to build them myself. I am good at finish work and my dad is better so its going to be a father-son project :) I'm going to make the front look like a baffle and it will be a satin black. The cabinet body itself will be a maple or light wood (I think) since the floors in that room are a dark bamboo and trying to match would be very hard.

AV123's finishes ARE very nice, my Mini's really are gorgeous  :drool:

skeeter99

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2010, 09:53 pm »
There are Strata Mini's on the B-stock list at av123 right now. Why don't you guys split a pair and each use one for your center. Of course then you would need an acoustically transparent screen.  :icon_lol:

There's also a set of Darth Vader's in Open Box as well:

:drool:

LejfK

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2010, 09:58 pm »

While not a bad idea, as some point my Minis will probably be in a 2nd system (living room - when I move to my next house which will have a man cave).  So, a horizontal center makes sense from a planning perspective

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2010, 10:14 pm »
An N3 will match them pretty well.

The open baffle mids of the X-Voce and OB-5 or OB-7's are a step up in transparency over the sealed box drivers used in the Mini's.

dvenardos

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2010, 04:51 am »
I liked the Neo 2x better than the stock Minis. The Neo tweeter is really something special with the sonicaps. I am getting kind of tired of mentioning it, but I have had very good dealings with Elemental Designs for cabinet work. They can do pretty much anything and are great to work with.