Neo 2X's with Sonicap Platinum Bypass

Ron

Neo 2X's with Sonicap Platinum Bypass
« on: 11 Feb 2010, 12:45 pm »
  I plan to build another pair of Neo 2X's as soon as the weather turns warmer ( really sick of all the snow and cold weather). The previous 2X's that I have built had the Mills resistors, Sonicap capacitors, Vampire input terminals, and No-Rez sound damping treatment performance upgrade options. The next pair to be built will also have these same upgrade options, but I have been thinking about also going with the Sonicap Platinum bypass capacitors too. My questions is has anyone else built the Neo 2x's with the same performance options and the platinum bypass caps? If so, what is your opinion of the improvements made by adding the platinum caps? Did you do a before and after comparison? If so, please post your opinions.

Thanks.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
Re: Neo 2X's with Sonicap Platinum Bypass
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2010, 02:20 pm »
Ron,

Hank and Emac are two who hopefully will jump in here with their comments.  Emac did change out the caps in a GR designed speaker and had positive comments about the mod.  My Neo's were born with the platinums and sound wonderful.

Happy listening,
Lou

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2010, 02:25 pm »
The N2X here have the Sonicap Plantinum Bypass caps.  I tried them without the bypass and they did not sound quite as extended in the HF end at one point.  Mine were easy to do A/B with since the XO's were all clip leaded together.  Wanted to match the sound quality of the Dodd Battery Preamp with the speakers since the pre also has the Platinum bypass caps installed.  Still very happy with the setup!

Ron

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2010, 05:32 pm »
 Thanks to Laserman and Hal for your comments. From what both of you are saying, the platinum bypass caps  apparently do make a noticeable improvement to the sound quality. Based on your findings, I have requested Danny to include the platinum bypass capas with my Neo 2X parts kit that I just ordered. Upon completion of building the Neo 2X's, I will post my impressions as to how they sound to me with the platinum bypass caps.

Question - Did either of you use the JPS Labs internal wiring?

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:37 pm »
No.  I upgrade everything but the wire.  It was just one of those personal preferences and YMMV.

Lou

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2010, 08:28 pm »
If you want to try a cheaper alternative to the Platinums I would recommend trying the Russian teflons. Yeah, they're a a little big, but if you've got the room they make for great bypasses.

emac

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2010, 09:16 pm »
Thanks to Laserman and Hal for your comments. From what both of you are saying, the platinum bypass caps  apparently do make a noticeable improvement to the sound quality. Based on your findings, I have requested Danny to include the platinum bypass capas with my Neo 2X parts kit that I just ordered. Upon completion of building the Neo 2X's, I will post my impressions as to how they sound to me with the platinum bypass caps.

Good choice.  I've added Platinums to 3 speakers at this point (Ninja'ed X-Omni's, Ninja'ed Mini's, and my O-3's), and have really liked the results each time.  The Platinums do take at least 100 hrs to burn in, so be patient. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2010, 09:27 pm »
The Platinums actually take about 500 to 1000 hours to settle in. So you really have to be patient.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2010, 09:28 pm »
The Platinums actually take about 500 to 1000 hours to settle in. So you really have to be patient.

really?   :scratch:

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2010, 09:51 pm »
Yep really. The Teflon dielectric material is the reason for the long settling time.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2010, 10:26 pm »
IMPE, they were noticeably better after say 150 hours.  After that any real improvement has apparently been gradual, because I can not notice a decernable difference from the 150 hour mile post.

Caps that take a long, long, long time are Black Gates...I'm still waiting on the ones in my Pre to settle in.    :(  :scratch:  :cry:   

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2010, 10:37 pm »
From what I heard the Black Gates take about 30 days to form if left on 24 hours a day.  The early ones if you turned the unit off took another 30 day's to reform.  That is way to much time for me!   :o

Ron

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2010, 11:59 pm »
 Thanks guys for your input. Didn't realize that it took so long for the Platinum caps to burn properly in order to sound their best! Also decided to go all out on the performance upgrade options this time, so I am going with the JPS Labs internal wiring too. Anxious to hear how they sound with all these upgrade options. As I stated previously, I will post my impressions after my Neo 2X's are built.

Ron

« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2010, 12:50 am »
 Question - Before the Platinum bypass caps settle in, do they sound overly bright and etched or  provide poor detail? I am just wondering what to expect prior to them settling in.

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2010, 02:01 am »
It will sound better when they are fresh than if they are not there at all.

Ron

« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2010, 02:24 am »
 Great! So they do initally make a noticeable improvement in the sound, which improves even more after they settle in. Thanks Danny for answering my question.

kramertc

« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2010, 07:24 pm »
Hello,

(Newbie here...so please go easy if this is a dumb question)

Are these Platinum Sonicaps the Sonicap upgrade in the N2X kit or an altogether separate upgrade not specified in the order page?

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 24 Feb 2010, 07:46 pm »
The Sonicap upgrade offered as an option on this kit replaces the Erse poly caps with Sonicaps. It does not include Sonicap Platinum by-pass caps. That is an additional upgrade.

kramertc

« Reply #18 on: 24 Feb 2010, 08:21 pm »
The Sonicap upgrade offered as an option on this kit replaces the Erse poly caps with Sonicaps. It does not include Sonicap Platinum by-pass caps. That is an additional upgrade.

Danny,
I'm looking at your GR-Research website and can't find the Sonicap Platinum by-pass caps.  What is the price?

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 24 Feb 2010, 09:05 pm »
I never did put the Platinum by-pass cap option on the site. I really didn't think that there was going to be a lot of people willing to take this design as far as it could go, but have been surprised. I guess I'll have to add it as an option for on line orders.

A .1uF Sonicap Platinum is $29 each. If you just by-pass the caps in the tweeter circuit then you'll need four of them.

A slightly lower cost alternative that will also get you into that range is to use a .047uF Sonicap Platinum as a by-pass cap. I have those in stock for $22 each.