Source switch

1ZIP

Source switch
« on: 9 Feb 2010, 03:40 am »
I want to be able to select either of two integrated amps (one a B-60) to feed a single set of speakers.  Niles Audio makes an A/B switch box that would be ideal.  However, it does, so I've heard, degrade the sound.  Just curious if anyone has heard of another device to do the job.  No, I'm not going to by another set of speakers!

Thanks 

Phil A

Re: Source switch
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2010, 03:37 pm »
I've seen sites like this one -  http://www.hometech.com/hts/products/audio/selectors/index.html

but have no idea how they perform

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2010, 05:07 pm »
What is the other int. amp?

You could wire the speakers to the b-60's amp, and the other int wired to the b-60's pre-ins.

audiojack

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2010, 05:12 pm »
Any A/B switch is going to degrade the sound and is a sub-optimal way to go. Why would you want to be able to swich which amp is driving the speakers? If you don't have enough inputs on the amps (too many sources?) I would look into a multi switch for the sources and go with one amp.

1ZIP

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2010, 06:54 pm »
The other Int. is actually a receiver, a restored Marantz 2270.  I use the Marantz almost entirely for FM listening.  It has a very nice sound when paired with the Paradigm Studio 20's, almost McIntosh like.  I also have a B-60 and an Arcam CD36.  This combination produces a detail sound with good stage and imaging.  I've tried different combinations including running the Marantz FM section through the B-60.  None of the combinations match the Marantz FM - Paradigm sound nor the Arcam - B-60 - Paradigm sound.  I guess I wouldn't expect any other result.  So, I'm tired of having to move speaker wire back and forth between the Marantz and the B60.  So, I was hoping there was a simple way to do this without sacrificing the sound of each arrangement.  Maybe there isn't!