Offramp - aes/ebu vs rca

gordon

Offramp - aes/ebu vs rca
« on: 8 Feb 2010, 08:53 pm »
Looking for opinions - currently have mac mini to Bryston BDA1 via toslink. Looking to add an offramp. First - should I expect a big improvement? Second is aes/ebu or RCA the better output from the offramp?
Thanks!!
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2010, 03:02 am by gordon »

Newk Yuler

Re: Offramp - aes/ebu vs rca
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2010, 11:00 pm »
Nobody has said anything about this because it's impossible to answer accurately.

As an Off Ramp 3 with Superclock4 owner, I'd hazard a guess and say it would likely make a positive difference with your Bryston.  Possibly a big difference and even an 'oh my god' difference.  The Bryston is a nice DAC but you won't know how well it actually controls jitter until you feed it with a truly very low jitter source.  I've often wondered what one of Steve's boxes with the better Audiocom clocks would do for the nicer DACs on the market now.

Steve's implementation of SPDIF is very likely very close to as well as it can be done.  Off Ramp 3 coax SPDIF has proven itself in my little high resolution system with undoubtedly very low jitter characteristics in focus and sound field.  There's really no practical way to say what it will do for your system unless you try it.

I'd think a good, easy test for any digital audiophile system would be to put a comfy chair in a prime listening spot, play an excellent quality stereo recording, turn out the lights (for a completely dark room) and try to find the speakers with your mind's eye.  If your system is doing a proper job you shouldn't be able to see the speakers.  The sound should be in the room, not coming from the speakers.  Jitter stifles that quality.  If you can easily find the speakers with the lights out, something isn't right.

You might want to try a M2Tech Highface with a BNC connector (since the Bryston is made for it) before trying anything else.  It's a relatively inexpensive gamble that may give you a big improvement over the Toslink connection you have now.

gordon

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2010, 10:47 pm »
Thanks Newk Yuler - thats good background and I've placed an order for an offramp3.

Any offramp user feedback on coax spdif vs aes/ebu connections?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2010, 11:01 pm »
Thanks Newk Yuler - thats good background and I've placed an order for an offramp3.

Any offramp user feedback on coax spdif vs aes/ebu connections?

FWIW, I had originally ordered my Off-Ramp with the Superclock only to later upgrade to an Ultraclock which made for a substantial improvement in both clarity and in an increased spatial sound stage. It's a worthwhile upgrade IMHO.  :thumb:

I use a silver NexGen output on the Off-Ramp 3 in order to match up with my Crystal Cable's NexGen plugs. I've never used the other connection option myself.

Cheers,
Robin

Newk Yuler

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2010, 08:18 am »

FWIW, I had originally ordered my Off-Ramp with the Superclock only to later upgrade to an Ultraclock which made for a substantial improvement in both clarity and in an increased spatial sound stage. It's a worthwhile upgrade IMHO.  :thumb:

I use a silver NexGen output on the Off-Ramp 3 in order to match up with my Crystal Cable's NexGen plugs. I've never used the other connection option myself.

Cheers,
Robin

I concur.  I intend to upgrade to an Ultraclock when the async module becomes available.  It's also very important to use very good quality USB and digital coax cables, although you probably should use a very good quality AES/EBU cable for the Bryston instead.  I use a solid silver conductor Audioquest VDM-5 coax cable and a Ridge Street Poiema USB cable (with cryoed solid silver conductors).  The quality of the USB cable isn't so important when Steve introduces the async module for the Off Ramp, but that's unfortunately a down the road a bit.

Newk Yuler

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2010, 08:25 am »

BTW, we would greatly appreciate it if you'd let us know what differences you get with the Off Ramp on the Bryston.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2010, 09:01 am »
I concur.  I intend to upgrade to an Ultraclock when the async module becomes available.  It's also very important to use very good quality USB and digital coax cables, although you probably should use a very good quality AES/EBU cable for the Bryston instead.  I use a solid silver conductor Audioquest VDM-5 coax cable and a Ridge Street Poiema USB cable (with cryoed solid silver conductors).  The quality of the USB cable isn't so important when Steve introduces the async module for the Off Ramp, but that's unfortunately a down the road a bit.

I use & like the Locus Design Nucleus USB cable myself as it's not quite so laid back as the Ridge Street cable imho. I won't be doing the async module tho as I've very happy with where I'm at.  :D

Cheers,
Robin