Any B.B. King fans here?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Any B.B. King fans here?
« on: 25 Jan 2004, 11:57 pm »
He's going to be playing here in SF at the Great Hall of the Washinton Pavilion.  I'd like to go, but I don't wanna pay the $55 per ticket price they're asking! :o   Yikes!  Maybe a reformed Judas Priest with Rob Halford concert, I could see fifty + bucks for that...

Marbles

Any B.B. King fans here?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2004, 12:06 am »
He has a bunch of concert DVD's that will make it feel that you almost went to a concert :wink:   Most are less than $20 and you can see him anytime you want...of course it will always be the same show  :cry:

bob82274

Any B.B. King fans here?
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2004, 12:31 am »
I like him in small doses.If you havn't seen him live before I would say pay the 55 to go see him.  I went and saw him a few years ago and it was great (Buddy Guy was also playing).  Its kind of like this may be the last chance you ever get to see him live so I say go and enjoy the show.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Any B.B. King fans here?
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2004, 12:41 am »
I guess I never thought of it that way; the guy is a living legend who's really getting on in years.  The Blues isn't really my favorite genre, but I do appreciate it to a degree.  And that's such a nice venue to see a concert.

BlackCat

Any B.B. King fans here?
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2004, 06:28 pm »
Many years ago I saw him in Denver.  The next day there was going to be a huge concert up in Boulder....The Rolling Stones, Heart and George Thorogood.  I paid the m'aitre de $20 to get me a good table.  He put us right up front, the table touching the stage.  BB put on a great show, I got an E-String from Lucille that he dropped to me from the stage.  At the end of the concert, he acknowledged the presense of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, George Thorogood and Ann & Nancy Wilson, as well as members of the Oakland Raiders and Denver Broncos who were to play that Sunday.  I had better seats than any of them.  I'd pay $55 to see him again.

Thump553

Any B.B. King fans here?
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2004, 09:46 pm »
Sadly enough, these days $55 is more like an average/budget price for concert tickets.  BB King would be worth it to me.  Here (CT) he is coming soon, but I think the price is closer to $100 than fifty.

The days that get to me are ones like Simon & Garfunkel, CSNY, etc. where you will drop $300-500 per couple.  That's obsence  to me.

mgalusha

Any B.B. King fans here?
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2004, 04:37 am »
I saw B.B a couple of years ago with Buddy Guy and Susan Tedeschi and it was a great show. It seems these days almost everything is over $50, at least with B.B. King you are virtually assured of an excellent show.

Enjoy the show Rob!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Any B.B. King fans here?
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2004, 05:01 am »
Well, in SD the concerts are a bit cheaper than in other parts of the country.  Jackson brown was $45, I think about that for David Sanborn.  I guess I'm just a cheapskate.

mojoman

Any B.B. King fans here?
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2004, 02:01 pm »
I saw BB last summer with Jeff Beck and Galactic.  I was an excellent show.  I saw BB the very first time in 1969. I was 13 and was dragged kicking and screaming by my parents this show.  I came away a big fan and that was really the beginning of a life long love of the blues.  Over the years I've had the chance to see BB in large venues,  auditoriums, even a couple of times in bars.  I'm still waiting to catch the first mediocre show.  BB's getting old and has severe diabetes. Most of his concerts are played seated.  I see him whenever I can because it might be my last chance.

As for ticket prices,  prices have been going up steadily since the Eagles figured out they could get away with C note priced tickets.  My wife and I really wanted to see the last Paul McCartney tour but two tickets, good but not great seats, were going to cost $495.  That's nuts.   Anyway, ticket prices will start to come down when people stop buying them at the current prices.  The best deals for live music these days are local venues with regional or smaller national acts.  I much prefer live music so I'll keep paying the prices for the bands I want to hear.  

Rob, spend the 55 bucks and go see BB.  At least you can say you've seen him and I don't  think you'll be disappointed.  I guarentee that BB and his band will work hard to entertain you.

Donman

Any B.B. King fans here?
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2004, 02:26 pm »
Saw BB Sunday night outside of Philly in a small theatre.  Absolutely first class all the way.  To be able to do 200 shows a year in his declining medical condition is amazing itself, but his ability to do so 110% makes it even better. He loves what he does and does it all for you.  Should not be missed!

Daniel

Any B.B. King fans here?
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2004, 10:41 pm »
See him while you can, Rob.  I caught him playing at the Apollo with Ray Charles in 1991.  It wasn't the ideal setting for him (they both played with the Phillip Morris Superband led by Gene Harris on piano) but he's an extraordinary entertainer.  He's been playing the same set since, oh, 1963 or so.  It never bores me.  Pick up one of his live albums, (at the Regal or at Cook County Jail).  Check out the photo on the cover of the Cook County Jail album and ask yourself, what kind of music does this man play?

Mrdi

Any B.B. King fans here?
« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2004, 01:16 am »
Don't miss the oopotunity!!
You'll agonize $100  if you miss him and he passes.

Woodsea

Any B.B. King fans here?
« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2004, 02:38 am »
Saw him at a small venue in NY city 17 yrs ago.  Great show, been a fan ever since.

rontaylor

better go when you have a chance
« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2004, 11:59 pm »
BB is in frail health.  :(  Better go if you  like him.

orthobiz

Any B.B. King fans here?
« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2004, 03:47 am »
Never saw him live but this thread is a reminder to listen to his Live in London LP, got it for 1.99 as a cutout thirty years ago. "Caldonia" is the wonderful opening track Side 1 Song 1.

biz