HT3 owners ... a couple of questions if I may...

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
HT3 owners ... a couple of questions if I may...
« on: 7 Feb 2010, 03:41 pm »
I am in the search phase for new speakers. I have 2 Nuforce V3SE mono amps and the Nuforce P9 pre amp. I run FLAC files thru a Transporter. I currently have B&W CM7 speakers. I live in the UK (Jim says he doesnt know about any Salks in the UK). I recently posted a quest for new speakers post under General Audio circle and several of the recommnedations were for Salk HT3s. I recently listened to B&W 802Ds and Usher BE10s at a shop in London and with the Naim electronics they did not sound very good. My wife said she like my much smaller and cheaper B&W CM7s which are about the 8th of the price of the others. Much of the disatisfaction was down to the elctronics. The Nuforce gear is very fast and has a lot of clarity/transparity which made the Naim sound like there was a veil over the sound. I will be moving back to the US soon and would like your comments on:

Have you heard the HT3s with Nuforce gear?
What other speakers would you compare the Ht3s to?
The Nuforce V3s have a very crisp high end .... good match for the ribbon tweeter or not?
I have a budget of $15K to $$20K and plan to listen to the Sophia and the Revels Salon2 but I dont think price means quality and great sound. This circle raves about the Salks, the quality and the maker  and there has got to be a hugh bit of truth to the sounds that everyone likes. My new home has a relatively large room with high cielings and wood floor.
Interested in your views and opinions

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: HT3 owners ... a couple of questions if I may...
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2010, 04:21 pm »
Hi   Just one question about your budget.  Your range appears to be per speaker?  because both the Wilson and Revel are considerably over 10k per pair.  But even if it's per pair, the new HT4 10" would be feasible (or a few bucks more), and certainly worth consideration relative to the HT3.  By the time you get back to the U.S. the designed should be finalized, and quite a few people have heard the prototype. 

R Swerdlow

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2010, 04:27 pm »
David

When you return to the US, where will you be living?  If you will be located near existing HT3 owners, you might be able to pay a visit and hear them yourself.

I am familiar with B&W CDM 7NT speakers, and am familiar with (but do not own) HT3s.  In my opinion, the CDM 7NTs do not come close to the sound quality of the HT3s.  I am not certain if your CM7s are similar to the CDM 7NTs I heard.

I can't comment about your amp and preamp, I've never encountered them.  How powerful are those amps?  The HT3, at 85 dB, is rather insensitive and does well with lots of power, apparently the more the better.

The only other higher priced speakers I've heard that might compare to the HT3s are the Vandersteen 3a signature.  I prefer the HT3 over them.

I expect that others will chime in.

David C

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2010, 04:35 pm »
Hi
My budget is for a pair and I know I may have to stretch it a bit for the Wilson or Revel. I will be living in Seneca SC. It is about 2 hrs north of Atlanta. The Nuforce mono amps are 175 watts at 8 ohms and 335 at 4 so should have plenty of power.
http://www.nuforce.com/hi/products/Monoamp/ref9v3se/index.php

I have owned maggies, Dalquist DQ10s and La Scalas before the CM7s. Space on the UK is limited and wanted a full range monitor and one that is dynamic and would love not to spend my budget

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2010, 04:56 pm »
Dave, I firmly believe you would be satisfied with a pair of 10" woofer HT4's in the $15k area.  You could get a finish you want and the air and smooth extension across the frequency spectrum is excellent.  Remember, this is a cost no object design from the Salk team.  That doesn't mean it must be $30,000 a pair, but that Jim and Dennis cannot say they shoulda, woulda, coulda, after it is done from a sonics perspective.

Rethink the electronics once you get settled.

David C

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2010, 05:37 pm »
Thanks Big Red
I have seen a pic of the Ht4s and they look great. I think you put it best with the description of "air" and freq spectrum. I have been really impressed with the Salk owners opinions ..... must be real quality over hype.

Do you not like my electronics???? I have owned Mac, Ampzilla and PS Audio and find the Nuforce stunning. You should have a listen some time. What are your electronic perferences. It will also be good to be back in the US, we have lived in London for 12 yrs and I am ready for some Mexican food and a big porterhouse steak :D

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2010, 06:28 pm »
Dave, I firmly believe you would be satisfied with a pair of 10" woofer HT4's in the $15k area.  You could get a finish you want and the air and smooth extension across the frequency spectrum is excellent.  Remember, this is a cost no object design from the Salk team.  That doesn't mean it must be $30,000 a pair, but that Jim and Dennis cannot say they shoulda, woulda, coulda, after it is done from a sonics perspective.

Rethink the electronics once you get settled.

I agree with the approach of trying the HT4's over the HT3's.  While the HT3's are an excellent speaker (I owned a pair for a few years before upgrading to Vandersteen 5A's), you can purchase a better performing speaker for the budget you have allocated.

If you like your NuForce amps, there is no reason to change.   I am sure they will continue to do a good job on the speakers you are considering.

George

rahimlee54

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2010, 07:02 pm »
It's funny how opinions work, I was at a GTG with nuforce gear and one guy refused to sit in the room with them driving the speakers.  The Ushers aren't bad I'd go back for another listen with my own stuff if possible.  The HT4s are great like everyone has said, if you have that kind of coin I'd wait til I was back in the states and go to a few vendors here and listen in.  I would also make a trip to Jim's or Dennis's place and hear the HT4s, they are worth the time and effort.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2010, 10:05 pm »
I will be moving back to the US soon...

If you can wait there is always the Rocky Mountain Audiofest Oct. 15, 16, 17, 2010.
http://audiofest.net/2010/index.php

More speakers than you can shake a stick at.

Wayne

jbtrio

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2010, 05:11 am »
I have a Spectron  Musician III SE which is class d like your Nuforce. The amp drives the HT-3s effortlessly. IMHO, you would need a tube pre-amp to make them sound their best. It gives the midrange a more fleshed out presentation, especially one that uses 6sn7 tubes (big tone). Then you can tube roll the sound that you like.

Class D are very fast, clean, revealing, dynamic, but are neutral (maybe to a fault) with no warmth of their own. You have to choose your up stream components wisely. Through synergy with cables and gear you will be rewarded with wonderful sound.

Joe

fsimms

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2010, 02:34 pm »
Since you seem to have the budget.  I agree with going to Jim's place and hearing the HT4's.  It sounds like they will have the "state of the art" type of sound with quite a bit less than the $15k price mentioned.  Jim says, that with good material, that you can shut your eyes and not tell you were not at a live performance.

Bob