N2X in the house! And some questions...

starkiller

N2X in the house! And some questions...
« on: 7 Feb 2010, 01:35 am »
Got the N2X's, they look mighty purdy :) Not fired up yet but soon.  Question I have is this:

Some custom stands are being made for me for these speakers.  Until then i was looking for some cheap ones.  Couldn't find any in as 36" height that were less than $50 and did not want to spend that kind of coin on temp stands.  I have some old speakerlab das 4's that are 33" tall, was going to use those as stands with a couple pieces of wood to boost the height to 36". Should I put the speakers on top of those pieces of wood or shall I use some of those Isol-Pads(two pieces of rubber with cork inbetween) or use some blu-tac between speakers and wood pieces?

thanks!

Danny Richie

Re: N2X in the house! And some questions...
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2010, 10:43 pm »
Typically about a 28" to 29" stand is best. That will keep the tweeter near ear level when seated.

If you don't want to spend much on stands, you can always DIY build some.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2010, 01:27 am »
Starkiller,

:thumb: for what Danny said about keeping the tweeters at ear level +/- an inch or two.

I would also recommend a stand that you can mass load with lead shot or sand.  Also, I de-coupled my standmount speakers.  Using Iso-pads or something similar would be okay.  Do not use the blu-tac stuff because it will damage the speaker's finish.  If you have a Lowe's near you, pick a piece of their anti-fatigue material in their carpet area for it works very well.  If you would like a plan for a DIY stand to use while you wait for the custom ones, send me your email address via PM.

Lou

starkiller

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2010, 05:14 am »
Laserman

the custom stands being made for me will be out of wood with a hollow center for sand filling.  spikes on the bottom.  i will try those isol-pads on the current set-up and see how everything sounds.