Noob's impressions of 1st symphony - Beethoven's 5th

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
 So last Tuesday night I saw the following in Philadelphia:
Beethoven's Fifth
Rafael Fruhbeck de Burgos Conductor
Elizabeth Hainen Harp
Hai-Ye Ni Cello

The first half was an interesting mishmash of music, that featured the two soloists listed above on harp and then cello.

After the intermission, was the fifth. As a noob, let me just say I was very pleased, but felt a little disappointment in that I wasn't transported to a rapturous state as I anticipated. I may guess that's partly because I had built the experience up to much in my mind.

On the other hand, this was the third night the orchestra had played these pieces, and on the drive home the word that came to mind for describing the playing was the word 'businesslike'.

Everything sounded correct versus the Beethoven's fifth I've been listening to with Otto Klemperer as conductor, but it just didn't have the dynamic tension or the verve or outright emotion of what I've been listening to.

Still, it was an extremely worthwhile experience. I do now differentiate between the sound of violins versus cellos, which is something that I was troubled with before. And the deeper notes of the cello versus the high notes of the bass was also a problem for me, but I think I can tell that now when I'm listening to a CD.

Next, I'd like to go in to hear some classical piano work, as some of the CDs I have that feature piano I find to be very appealing.

blackzarg

Re: Noob's impressions of 1st symphony - Beethoven's 5th
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2010, 08:26 pm »
Glad you were able to make it out to a symphony! Sorry for your disappointment, though. However, the great thing about classical music is that there's so much to delve into that the more you listen to it, the more you are familiar with its nuances. Have you heard a recording of the 5th before?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2010, 12:00 am »
"The first notes are all we came for, the rest is just filler" - Chief Wiggam on Beethoven's Fifth

jazzcourier

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2010, 12:18 am »
Next time you venture out into the world of music,whatever genre it may be,but for the purposes of my comment here i would ask you to seek out pieces being performed you have no familiarity or expectation of.The best moments i have had listening to the L.A. Phil were all performances i was totally "in the dark" on.It was ear opening to hear Mahler,Hayden,Messiaen and others completely Tabula rasa.The thrill of discovery is so much a part of the lust and passion of the musical experience.Take a chance and you will be rewarded! As one not so famous Jazz musician said....the audience would be shocked to read the minds of professional musicians during performances........did i pick up the cleaning ....did i feed the cat...who is that woman in the second row..c sharp f sharp minor slight retard...oh my god my wife's brother...that last one was a joke.

etcarroll

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2010, 08:42 pm »
Glad you were able to make it out to a symphony! Sorry for your disappointment, though. However, the great thing about classical music is that there's so much to delve into that the more you listen to it, the more you are familiar with its nuances. Have you heard a recording of the 5th before?

Hmmmmm - I don't think 'disappointment' was the feeling I meant to convey, but on re-reading my post, I guess that's what 'seeps through'.

Overall, I did enjoy the experience, and will do it again. One issue, being a noob at classical, I just don't have the needed vocab. to express what I experienced.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2010, 09:31 pm »
One of the problems with the standard repertoire is that there are so many great recorded performances, that the bar is set rather high.  Live performances don't always meet or exceed these standards, that is probably what happened here. 

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2010, 09:49 pm »
I haven't been this year yet.  I try to go a few times a year just to get reminded on what live should be like.
On the experience, don't get too discouraged.  Personaly I have always been pleasntly surprised at how good the local symphony was.

myview

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2010, 04:27 am »
Ronm,

I have a recording of Beethoven's 5th symphony to recommend to you if you are looking for one: Carlos Kleiber conducting the Vienna Philharmonic under DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON.  It is coupled with Beethoven's 7th Symphony, another one of his most popular symphonies.  The recording was, if I recall correctly, made in the early 70s and while not considered superb by modern standard, it is very good.  It is certainly my favourite recording of these 2 works.

fastbike

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2010, 05:36 pm »
If you run a Squeezbox / music server / etc or like to burn your own, it's worth noting that virtually the entire Deutsche Grammophon catalog is available for download. Download at 320kbps MP3 is standard, but a large number of titles offer flac as well.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2010, 07:04 pm »
Beethoven's 5th is one of the most widely recognized and recorded Classical works of all time.

It is a great piece of music.  That being said, the conductor of an Orchestra has tremendous influence on how the piece is performed.  He sets the tempo and the mood interpretation that he wants.  Essentially, the Orchestra is the conductor's instrument.

Being that you attended the 3rd performance, that could account for the businesslike approach.

Every concert that I perform on is different.  No two are ever exactly alike. That's one of the great things about live performances.

Even though I'm an Orchestra musician, there are many works that we play that I'm not a terrific fan of.  Do I still try to play my best?  Absolutely.   But playing a composition that I really enjoy makes it just that much more fun.

etcarroll

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2010, 08:04 pm »
Thanks for the musician's perspective.

It's not in this thread, but I announced in a different thread this would be my 1st concert, and someone, maybe Tyson, mentioned it might be worth my while to sit close to the stage to get the 'dynamics' of the individual instrument(s) I would be close to. I'm thinking I need to do that next time.

As it was, I was in the middle of the 1st row of the orchestra tier, a great seat for getting the 'overall effect', but not so good for picking up many specifics.

Dang - during recent past, very bad weather/snow, I got an email from the orchestra group announcing 'bad weather special' ticket pricing for that day's violin concerto, just $10. But it began in 50 mins. from the time I saw the email, and it was a 1.5 hour drive to get there. Rats! But I'll get in for a few more.

blackzarg

« Reply #11 on: 5 Apr 2010, 07:54 pm »
Thanks for the musician's perspective.

It's not in this thread, but I announced in a different thread this would be my 1st concert, and someone, maybe Tyson, mentioned it might be worth my while to sit close to the stage to get the 'dynamics' of the individual instrument(s) I would be close to. I'm thinking I need to do that next time.

As it was, I was in the middle of the 1st row of the orchestra tier, a great seat for getting the 'overall effect', but not so good for picking up many specifics.

Dang - during recent past, very bad weather/snow, I got an email from the orchestra group announcing 'bad weather special' ticket pricing for that day's violin concerto, just $10. But it began in 50 mins. from the time I saw the email, and it was a 1.5 hour drive to get there. Rats! But I'll get in for a few more.

How close are you to Boston? the BSO is an excellent orchestra, and is led by a very charismatic and communicative director (Benjamin Zander) who is very interested in helping those that do not understand/listen to classical music to enjoy it.

Getting a little off topic now, but here is a video of Zander at the TED conference, on music.
http://www.ted.com/talks/benjamin_zander_on_music_and_passion.html

CORRECTION: Zander is with the Boston Philharmonic. James Levine is with the BSO. Both are great conductors of superb orchestras.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2010, 07:56 pm by blackzarg »

etcarroll

« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2010, 08:38 pm »
Look at my icon - spiritually I'm very close to Boston, having been born and raised there.

Physically, not so close, as I'm stuck in SE PA.

etcarroll

« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2010, 09:59 pm »
Time to try again, the Philly Orchestra is presenting;

Program:

MOZART - Symphony No. 39

SHENG - The Phoenix

RACHMANINOFF - Piano Concerto No. 3

I like the Rachmaninoff piece very much.

Thebiker

« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2010, 10:52 pm »
Just a small, late correction:  Benjamin Zander is the conductor of the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra.  James Levine is the conductor of the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

Personally, I prefer Zander over Levine, but YMMV.

Obviously since etcarroll lives in SE Pa, it doesn't really matter, but accuracy matters 8).

Walt

blackzarg

« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2010, 07:54 pm »
Just a small, late correction:  Benjamin Zander is the conductor of the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra.  James Levine is the conductor of the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

Personally, I prefer Zander over Levine, but YMMV.

Obviously since etcarroll lives in SE Pa, it doesn't really matter, but accuracy matters 8).

Walt

Oops, my mistake! I meant to say Boston Phil (I prefer Zander over Levine as well). Just wondering...any updates to Levine's health situation? I've heard there have been numerous cancellations with the Met and the BSO because of it...hope he sticks it through!

rpf

« Reply #16 on: 30 Apr 2010, 10:22 pm »
Levine is going for more back surgery. The Met has hired a new guest conductor to fill in.