Stereo amp - safe to run just one channel?

mcgsxr

Stereo amp - safe to run just one channel?
« on: 4 Feb 2010, 07:01 pm »
I am in the hunt for a powerful, affordable amp to run my passive HT sub.

This had led me to consider pro amps.  Some can run 4ohm loads bridged, other cannot.

Can I run just one channel of an amp, and leave the other idle - will it damage anything?

Nuance

Re: Stereo amp - safe to run just one channel?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2010, 07:06 pm »
No it will not damage anything.  You just won't get the same power output as you would if you bridged both channels to mono.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2010, 07:06 pm »
In general it is safe to run just one channel of a big solid state amplifier.

I would suggest that, if you can, located and remove the main + and - internal power supply fuses for the unused channel.  This will allow the full power supply to drive just one channel.

However, be very sure you know the way your amplifier works.  Some have separate supply feeds for the audio boards and output transistors.  If this is the case, the fuses should remain in place.

Finally, the best thing to do is ask the manufacturer or dealer of your amplifier if leaving one channel disconnected is OK for that particular unit.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2010, 07:11 pm »
Thanks guys.

There is a QSC pro power amp locally that I might bite on - it can run 4ohm bridged too, so that is optimal for the short term for my application.

I was asking about running just one channel for those other options where the amp cannot run 4ohm bridged, so I knew I would only see the rated 4ohm power for the one channel.

Frank - thanks for the advice, I'm nowhere near comfortable poking around the innards of a power amp, but I can call and ask!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2010, 07:12 pm »
That Pyle I have for sale will drive 2 ohm loads and still nap thru it.

coke

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2010, 08:18 pm »
Buy another sub and run one off of each channel, or wire the subs in series and bridge the amp.

problem solved  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2010, 08:31 pm »
Coke you are describing the flexibility I referenced earlier - at present, I am putting the finishing touches on a sub project that started 9 years ago ( :oops:), but in time (down in the man cave area, where madness such as multiple 15's will be an option) I will want to run several subs off whatever amp I decide on.

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2010, 05:59 am »
Several?  What is the power rating of the QSC?  I suppose the impedance and sensitivity of the driver will determine if you'll actually be "able" to run multiple subs to their xmax without clipping the amps.  I could run two 15" AV15X's in stereo off one of my Behringer EP2500's, but if I tried pushing two TC2000's to xmax it just wouldn't happen. 

Anyway, I believe the QSC's are designed to be used in single, dual or mono/bridged config, so you shouldn't have issues running one sub for the time being. 

mjosef

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2010, 06:25 am »
I ran one channel on an Adcom 535 for my sub way back in the late 80's to early 90's. My speakers then were the Wharfedale Diamonds (powered by a second 535)which I had electronically crossed over @ 70Hz, with a summed sub output feeding a VMPS original sub. Never had a problem. I would periodically swap channels just to "balance" out the usage.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2010, 10:07 am »
There is a QSC pro power amp locally that I might bite on - it can run 4ohm bridged too, so that is optimal for the short term for my application.

Hard to go far wrong with that choice, I would think. The power, flexibility and reliability of their amps is well known. Just be aware though that as with any fan-cooled amp you will want to be able to hide the amp away. I have a QSC PLX powering my dipole woofers at present and the fan noise can be a bit bothersome with it situated with the rest of the gear.