Differences between Stratos Mono's SE's and Glass Ceiling Amps

machinehead

I have a pair of Stratos Mono Extreme SE's what is up graded to get it to the "Glass Ceiling" level? 

How about to Kismet?

What are the differences in the Lorelei and Kismet speakers?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
HI, This is my first post on the Odyssey Board, just today I aware of this fine amps. :drool:
Do the Glass Ceiling amps have a different look from the Stratos Extreme monos?
Anyone have Glass Ceiling and Kismet monos amps images to post here??
In the Odyssey Site there is no images from this both amps.
Thanks in advance, Gustavo

srb

I have a pair of Stratos Mono Extreme SE's what is up graded to get it to the "Glass Ceiling" level? 

How about to Kismet?

What are the differences in the Lorelei and Kismet speakers?

Many have asked these questions before, grasshopper.

Steve

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013

Many have asked these questions before, grasshopper.

Steve

Yep, none of the specs on the Kismet line have ever been released since being offered close to a year ago. It's still a big mystery and there's no reason to think it won't continue to be a mystery considering the nonactivity of this Circle.

Cheers,
Robin

honesthoff

Gustavo,

The Glass Ceiling version and all Stratos models are in the same case and have the same appearance.  It looks like you have already found a picture of the Kismets, which are different.  The absolute best way to get any of your questions answered is to call Klaus himself at (317) 299-5578 in the evening.  Remember he is in Indiana, three hours behind you in Brazil (assuming you are in RJ or GO).

machinehead

I have gathered a bit of info on the differences between the Kismets and Lorelei's, Alpha Core inductors, Sonicaps and some TS Series 3 cabling inside, as well as the wood bases.  My Lorelei's are a bit of a hybrid it turns out, 2 of the 3 inductors are Alpha Core, with the largest being the standard round wire inductor, but the caps are Sonicaps, and the cabling going to the tweeter is TS Series 3, while the cable going from the cross over to the woofer is Groneberg Quatrro, so a little of both.

No info on the Glass Ceiling amps.  Next time on of yall get Klaus on the phone, please ask him, I would be interested in planning the future, although, after he set me straight on dialing these speakers in, I am in love!!! :drool:  Best bargain in the audio industry, the amps and speakers...

So you start with the speakers 2.5 feet from the back wall to prevent bass overhang or booming.   Speakers facing straight forward, then you draw an equilateral triangle from the tweeters to your ears.  From that measurement, you want the speakers to be .5 to 1 foot "nearfield".  So the leg of the triangle from you to the speaker, should .5 to 1 foot shorter than the distance between the speakers.  This takes out most of the interaction of the reflections of the room.  From that point start playing with toe in.  If you can't move the speakers far enough from the back wall, use some plants or other objects to help absorb the bass.

Just moving them into the nearfield, did the trick for me, they sound amazing, best I have had!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
I'm glad to hear you got them loudspeakers setup so you're happy with them.  :beer:

Cheers,
Robin

machinehead

Thanks Robin, yeah, they are a bit tricky, :scratch: but once Klaus clued me in, now they are
simply the most musical speakers I have had, and certainly rival any speakers I have heard.
I live in Denver, so went to the RMAF show, Klaus's room was one of my favorites regardless of price, sounding better than rooms costing in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, I am sold....

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Gustavo,

The Glass Ceiling version and all Stratos models are in the same case and have the same appearance.  It looks like you have already found a picture of the Kismets, which are different.  The absolute best way to get any of your questions answered is to call Klaus himself at (317) 299-5578 in the evening.  Remember he is in Indiana, three hours behind you in Brazil (assuming you are in RJ or GO).
Hi Honesthoff,
Thankyou for the Glass Ceiling info, :thumb: I was curious because with this name, I think it could have a glass top cover to see inside.
I afraid my english not so good to talk on the phone, aside Mr.Klaus is a very busy person for sure.
I found a Kismet image in the page two of this board, it have a very nice chassis, looks a strong case.
Regards,  Gustavo

talk2me

Did I miss something? I missed the explanation of the glass ceiling and kismet. I do not wish to call anyone, thak-you.

AnalogDog

Re: Differences between Stratos Mono's SE's and Glass Ceiling Amps
« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2010, 05:46 am »
OK...I'll take a shot. If you've got the SE's, you've still got the red circuit boards. The Glass Ceilings, in addition to having even more trick passive components, have the black circuit boards, which are supposed to be the...glass ceiling for the Stratos.
   The Kismets may LOOK similar but everything is specced to a higher level than anything in the Stratos, acc. to Klaus. Totally different animal, despite the similarity in appearance.

Wolfman

Re: Differences between Stratos Mono's SE's and Glass Ceiling Amps
« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2010, 12:49 am »
As stated,the main difference is the substitution of the single thickness board(first green,then red) to the double thickness one(red,then blue,now black apparently). The other change is using more of the TS Premium wire internally than the standard Quattro(blue) wire.

Depending on the age of your SE's,there can be other,smaller changes such as caps,etc.
My SE's were some of the early ones,I had more internal changes to bring them up to G.C. level than you can probably expect from the later ones.
I suppose the bias could possibly change a little too,not sure.

Talk2me this is as good an explanation as you're likely to get if you don't want to call. I would rather doubt anyone on the outside knows the complete story as these upgrades can vary slightly from one amp to the next,depending on where in the timeline they're done and what the exact circumstances of the owners are at the time of upgrade.
I can say the single biggest jump in performance by far was from S.E. to Glass Ceiling. But,my S.E.'s had internal parts that Klaus was not happy with in the slightest,so YMMV.......

Hope this helps.      :)