motherboard battery change keeps resetting screen resolution

BobM

I changed the battery on my Dell Dimension 8300 motherboard, which basically resets the bias setting. So I log back in and of course the display is set to 800 x 600, so I reset it to the highest setting and reboot. The reboot looks OK and Windows begins loading, at the higher resolution. But then it switches back to 800 x 600 automatically.

I've reloaded the graphics card drivers and the bios. I;ve gone into setup on bootup and tried the VGA settings on auto and for a separate graphics card. No luck, it still keeps resetting my display back to 800 x 600.

I do get a message that it has detected new hardware, but I've loaded all the drivers for all the peripherals. It doesn't say what the hardware component is that has been detected though (weird).

Anyone have any ideas what else I can try? All this from a stupid battery change.

Thanks,
Bob

srb

When you go into Device Manager, under Display Adapter does it list the make and model of the video card?  It sounds like it thinks the device is a "Standard VGA Display Adapter".

Steve

BobM

Yes, it did once I reinstalled the drivers for my video card. I thought I had it licked at that point, but it is still reverting to 800 x 600. I believe you have it fundamentally corrct, because it is still detecting new hardware on boot up and prompting me for the VGA driver.

WGH

Whenever a driver or program gives me problems I do four things:

1.) Download current driver from manufacturer's website
2.) Uninstall driver
3.) Run a registry cleaner - JV16, http://www.macecraft.com/, is one of the best and has never caused a problem for me.
4.) Install new driver

Video drivers usually have their own uninstall/install program that you must run. If the "Detecting new hardware" program runs - cancel it and run the video driver .exe.

Good luck,

Wayne

p.s. Actually I do 6 things, the first is a full system backup using BootIt NG in case I really screw up. And a System Restore save so I can roll back if I need to.