Did I almost cook my speaker?

Mathew_M

Did I almost cook my speaker?
« on: 24 Jan 2004, 08:07 pm »
As a mad experiment with my newly acquired panasonic xr25 digital amp I decided to run my turntable through my Audible Illusions pre's phono section through the tape out into my Art DiO analogue section and sending it digitally out into the xr25.  In other words I wanted to compare the DiO's A/D section to the panny's.  Sounded good but I started messing with the volume on the 25 and the input section on the DiO trying to get a decent sound level.

This is when I noticed the bass getting flabby.  Must be the DiO's tube section getting in the way I thought.  Then I took a whiff of that 'shit my speakers are on fire' smell and saw the woofer quivering like jello.  Yikes, I quickly shut down my system.  I waited a minute.   Switched back to the CDP.  Sounds ok.  I checked the woofer and there is indeed sound eminating from it.  I've fried my woofer before.  I didn't see any smoke this time though so I'm hoping I saved it.  

So does anyone know exactly the culprit here besides my stupidity?  I'm guessing that the DiO had nothing to do with it and it was my increasing the volume too high.

Speakers are VMPS 626R.