Who here has compared ICE based amps with Extreme Stratos mono in their systems?

AnalogDog

I am referring specifically to Wyred4Sound's rendition of the ICE module. Huge amounts of power for the bux; probably the only amps that give the Extreme monos serious competition, IF they sound good. I hear from some the sound tends to be very detailed, but over time too dry and sterile (which my Stratos monoblocs definitely are not); I hear from others they don't sound that way at all; indeed they use the phrase 'tube like'!
   Guess it's horses for courses. Who has tried these amps in their system, and what was your take?

shep

:eyebrows: For a change something I actually know about! I have just the ticket: an Ice amp integrated, heavily modified by Cullens. It is the smallest Ice module, 2X75 W. I assume all modules sound pretty much the same, regardless of power, but I'm willing to be wrong. In any case Culllen's work addresses any and all the issues (negative) that have been raised regarding the sound of this technology. Mind you, this assumes the use of the right pre.; Namely a resistor-based pot followed by their buffer stage, or something equally transparent. I have no experience of any other kind of pre. The sound is in no way dry or clinical or sterile. As for tube-like...no, not in the least, if by that you mean euphonic. Personally I absolutely adore my Ice amp and both by experience and reputation, Wyred offer stellar products, excellent sevice and feed-back and at prices that are very hard to match. Just my take... They offer a return policy so you have nothing to lose. They run cool, use little current, never run out of steam and make music. I wish I had bonus point from them for every time I get to to say this! Alas. What else? They start and stop on a dime, handle dynamic swings with ease (I've never heard mine clip even though it's driving very inefficient speakers). I've had several Tripath amps and while I liked them, they were not in the same league.