Recommendations please: Good speakers that must sit flush against wall.

WilliamL

I need a good set of floor standing speakers that must be against the wall in a small room. Back-ported speakers will not work for me. I am wondering what is best--electrostats? Single Driver? Etc.

Suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you!

ncblue

Naim Allaes

mshan

Magnepan MMG W with sub in corner?:  http://magnepan.com/model_MMGW

They only extend to 100 hz, so really do need sub and electronics with a crossover in it.

cujobob

How much are you looking to spend?

Many designs can be built with front porting or you can go sealed (or just plug the port of a rear-ported speaker)

GerryD

Used Meadowlark Swifts or Kestral 2's might suit your needs.  Transmission line with lower front opening.

steve k

Allison One or Allison Two's. They're designed to be placed flush to the wall and reasonably priced nowadays. There's a pair on Agon now. No affiliation.
steve

macrojack

• Restricted
Zu Druids have a bottom port and play big in a small space.

rodge827

Omega XRS Series of speakers. Louis makes three types to fit all room size and budget concerns. I just had to sell my Super 8 XRS Alnico XRS for personal reasons. So I know first hand what the XRS can do.

Here is some thing from the Omega site.

Like all XRS models, these work well in a variety of room placements – even close to your back walls – making them a natural choice for smaller rooms or formal living areas, when you want great sound without having bulky speakers dominating your room decor.

This model shares design characteristics found in Omega’s other XRS speakers, including:

•Extended bass response
•Short cabinet heights, which virtually eliminates cabinet flex and resonance problems, translating into pure, uncluttered mids and highs
•Wide front baffles & built-in tilt, opening and broadening the soundstage
All XRS’s are floorstanders, so you don’t need special speaker stands. Making XRSs even more budget friendly.

Good luck,

Chris

http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cliffy

Check out carolinaaudio.com

All of his floorstanders are designed to go flat against the wall.

Scott F.

Steve, good call on the Allison's  :thumb:

I'll toss out Audio Note. They've got nice offerings from very affordable to stupid expensive.

K Shep

I need a good set of floor standing speakers that must be against the wall in a small room.

Budget?

stereocilia

These Guru loudspeakers are not floorstanders, but I thought they sounded good at RMAF last year.

http://www.sjofnhifi.com/products.html

from the website:

"...And unlike the vast majority of speakers, which are designed to be out in the middle of the room and away from boundaries (in a vain attempt to simulate an anechoic chamber), the GURUs use the acoustics of a typical listening environment to augment their performance. By placing them up against a wall, the QM10s are able to use the room as a kind of auxiliary enclosure. In other words, your room provides the kind of huge box necessary for the reproduction of low bass. Furthermore, Ingvar has discovered how to use wall reflections to create the immense sound stage (especially image height) previously only available from behemoth loudspeakers. ..."

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
These Guru loudspeakers are not floorstanders, but I thought they sounded good at RMAF last year.

http://www.sjofnhifi.com/products.html

from the website:

"...And unlike the vast majority of speakers, which are designed to be out in the middle of the room and away from boundaries (in a vain attempt to simulate an anechoic chamber), the GURUs use the acoustics of a typical listening environment to augment their performance. By placing them up against a wall, the QM10s are able to use the room as a kind of auxiliary enclosure. In other words, your room provides the kind of huge box necessary for the reproduction of low bass. Furthermore, Ingvar has discovered how to use wall reflections to create the immense sound stage (especially image height) previously only available from behemoth loudspeakers. ..."

I'll second this recco, took the words out of my mouth. These speakers will impress the hell out of you. Great bass dynamic as heck with great tonality .GIANT KILLERS IMO.
  Check out the review in Sterophile. They loved them.

charles

JoshK

Some ideas...

Got two good corners?  Try a corner horn, like Klipsch or Pi Speakers. 

Try going for narrow directivity to limit how much mid to HF is bouncing off the back wall and near side walls.   Its the early reflections that are most damaging to good sound.

Examples are Geddes speakers, Pi Speakers, any decent horn speaker where directivity matching through the crossover region has been considered.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Wasn't Wall-o-sound from Cain and Cain (now Lovecraft) designed to be flush against the wall?  I was looking at them at one point for my bedroom but they were too big for my application.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Wasn't Wall-o-sound from Cain and Cain (now Lovecraft) designed to be flush against the wall?  I was looking at them at one point for my bedroom but they were too big for my application.

Yes and no. They can be close to wall but sounded better about 3 to 4 ft away. Almost sold the Pipedreams for them, then came to my senses. Not for all types of music. If your a jazz fan WOW !. a rock fan look elsewhere. i heard at a dealers home with "FI" gear. very very nice.

charles

bunnyma357

Allison One or Allison Two's. They're designed to be placed flush to the wall and reasonably priced nowadays. There's a pair on Agon now. No affiliation.
steve

+1 on the Allison's - I've had a pair of CD-9's for over 25 years and they still sound very good today. Very natural, and they're designed to work with room boundaries.

Jim C

JackD201

The Unifield 3s were designed for use in space challenged rooms. If you go this route however tell your dealer that you want them with the dacron stuffing. AC member thebearded1 was in a similar situation and it worked out for him. You can read about his experience here...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76748.20

WilliamL

Wow. I am enjoying all these great suggestions. Budget is anywhere from 2,000 to 10,000. I know its a wide range, but target range is probably 2,500 -3,000. I will probably look for something used.

I used to sell audio gear, but I have been out of the game for so long...I need help getting back in.

:)

Thanks!

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Mileva & Demetri were both designed for placement in close proximity to or right against a wall.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/boxes-fostex.html#mileva

dave