Bi-amp Mirage M3

quietdragon

Bi-amp Mirage M3
« on: 31 Jan 2010, 08:49 pm »
I'm looking for recommendations for a pair of (older) Bryston power amplifiers that would match a pair of older Mirage M3s that I was fortunate enough to come across for a bi-amp configuration.

I'm considering a 4Be or later, and wondering what would make sense to mate it with.

Mad Mr H

Re: Bi-amp Mirage M3
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2010, 11:52 pm »
4B Bass / 3B Mid HF is good.

4B Mid HF / 2x 7B Bass is more power.

Those are the usual routes.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2010, 02:07 am »
So, no need for a 4B on the HF/mids when using a 4B for bass?

Mad Mr H

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2010, 10:39 pm »
So, no need for a 4B on the HF/mids when using a 4B for bass?

Hi, you could BUT in the ST series the clip lights appear to come on early and I think in a 2 way sytem 4+4 is a workable option but the two I mention above I feel better options, I have run those systems.

The 4B + 4B would allow vertical bi amp - But any voice changes between amps then becomes an issue, If they were close serial number pair and much newer I would be more happy with that route.

So many things to consider.......

As always these are my opinions and not rules! But are based on testing done in my own little world.

vegasdave

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2010, 10:14 pm »
No, I would put a 4BSST2 on the HF/mids and my current 4BSST on the bass.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2010, 01:18 am »
But this question is about the 4B or 4B ST if I read post one correctly.

SST SST2 are not options in this system.

vegasdave

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2010, 03:55 am »
Forget that, I'm talkin' about me here! lol.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2010, 04:43 am »
I had Mirages, the 2.5 way bipolar floorstander, couldn't afford the M3 at the time (~1992). The more power, the better. Buy the biggest amps you can afford.  :thumb: Mine reacted really well to bi-amping.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2010, 10:45 pm »
Forget that, I'm talkin' about me here! lol.

Oh, Thats real easy.........

Then for your system without question, and I checked it is written in your manual

The very best thing you could do it wrap the 4B SST2 up and ship it to me so it can runs the Mids on my BB5 rig, That would I am sure you agree give you the best pleasure.

I am happy to help you in this venture  :wink:

vegasdave

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2010, 01:03 am »
I don't have a 4B SST2 to give you!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2010, 07:02 pm »
 Not to be a party pooper here but we owned M3si's for a long time. The older brystons 4B are OK. The best synergy we had was with a Classe DR250 and yes a Krell KSA 100.
  there was never a need to bi-amp but if ypu must use the same amp and try vertical biamping or conventional. The key IMO is using the same amps.
 The use of a crossove is reccomended when doing it conventionaly. Vertically none required. The crossover to have is the Bryston 10B period. Still a classic.
  The combo we preferred was the Classe DR25 and a tubed preamp. An older VAC or CJ PV10. It took the Pipedreams for us to forget about selling that combo.  Have fun trying we hope our exprience offers some options.

charles

95Dyna

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2010, 07:42 pm »
I'm looking for recommendations for a pair of (older) Bryston power amplifiers that would match a pair of older Mirage M3s that I was fortunate enough to come across for a bi-amp configuration.

I'm considering a 4Be or later, and wondering what would make sense to mate it with.

Hi quietdragon,

What are you using for SC's?  One alternative would be to forget bi-amping and deploy a pair of 7B ST or SST's and spend the money you would have on the two pairs of SC's and buy one higher quality pair.  In my experience bi-amping doesn't make as much difference as high quality SC's.  It's even less likely to make a difference if you're comparing amps of the same bloodline.  I never could figure out how pidgeonholing power into two separate 300 WPS sources could trump 600 WPS that is dynamically available to the entire frequency range (power ratings are from the current SST2s as I don't recall what they were on the ST and SST).  Maybe I'm missing something, I'm not an engineer/audiophile just a music lover and go by what I hear.

Best wishes with your decision and search for the right configuration.

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2010, 07:47 pm »
Not to be a party pooper here but we owned M3si's for a long time. The older brystons 4B are OK. The best synergy we had was with a Classe DR250 and yes a Krell KSA 100.
  there was never a need to bi-amp but if ypu must use the same amp and try vertical biamping or conventional. The key IMO is using the same amps.
 The use of a crossove is reccomended when doing it conventionaly. Vertically none required. The crossover to have is the Bryston 10B period. Still a classic.
  The combo we preferred was the Classe DR25 and a tubed preamp. An older VAC or CJ PV10. It took the Pipedreams for us to forget about selling that combo.  Have fun trying we hope our exprience offers some options.

charles

"The use of a crossove is reccomended when doing it conventionaly".

Hi Charles - how do you bypass the passive crossover in order to use the 10B?

james

quietdragon

« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2010, 04:40 am »
Best wishes with your decision and search for the right configuration.

I appreciate you folks taking the time to provide advice.

Many thanks.

quietdragon

« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2010, 04:42 am »
How do you bypass the passive crossover in order to use the 10B?

That's a question that's been on my mind after reading a few articles promoting the use of active crossovers. I had (naively?) assumed that folks simply left the passive (in-speaker enclosure) crossovers intact!

gtaphile

« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2010, 04:23 pm »
I had a pair of M3's with a 4B and I agree 4B Bass / 3B Mid HF will work well.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2010, 04:32 pm »
That's a question that's been on my mind after reading a few articles promoting the use of active crossovers. I had (naively?) assumed that folks simply left the passive (in-speaker enclosure) crossovers intact!

Hi quietdragon,

You normally do not use an electronic crossover in front of a passive crossover because it negates all the advantages of the electronic crossover. The electronic crossover has many advantages and one of them is to allow the amplifier to connect directly to the ‘loudspeaker driver’ as opposed to going through all the passive components in the speaker’s passive crossover.

The other major issue is that the passive network will have a specific roll-off characteristic (6,12,16,24,dB etc.) and if you insert an electronic crossover it’s specific crossover roll-off will add to the passive and you end up with a big hole in the frequency response in and around the crossover point.

james

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 7 Feb 2010, 04:39 pm »
"The use of a crossove is reccomended when doing it conventionaly".

Hi Charles - how do you bypass the passive crossover in order to use the 10B?

james

You cannot as you well know, unless you remove the internal one. That was part 2 of the story. Only got to part one. we don't want to confuse him all at once. :thumb:

If it were me forget the biamping and go straight for the 28B.

charles

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 7 Feb 2010, 04:49 pm »
  You cannot as you well know, unless you remove the internal one. That was part 2 of the story. Only got to part one. we don't want to confuse him all at once. :thumb:

If it were me forget the biamping and go straight for the 28B.

charles

Hi Charles,

That's my vote as well or a 7B/14B if budget does not permit.

james

quietdragon

« Reply #19 on: 7 Feb 2010, 05:01 pm »
  You cannot as you well know, unless you remove the internal one. That was part 2 of the story. Only got to part one. we don't want to confuse him all at once.

:D    It took me five minutes to figure out that "SC" meant "speaker cable".

For reference I found an article which speaks about accessing the M3 crossover.

Presumably once accessible, it's straightforward to disable it by re-wiring appropriately.