Anyone notice the new Epik Empire Sub (2x15" subwoofer) for $799?

jackman

I just noticed the new subwoofer Epik is introducing for $799.  It is a sealed subwoofer with two 15" woofers and a built-in 600 watt amplifier.  The sub weighs 120 lbs and looks to be a great value.  I'm not in the market for a sub at the moment, but if I was, this would be at the top of my list. 

It would be hard to DIY a sub of this quality (at least on paper because I haven't seen it) for the intro price of $799.  One of these days, I may have to take a ride to Crystal Lake to check these guys out. 

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/blog/

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Do you research before buying...I know a few people who purchased Epik subs and they had QC issues.

George

Big Red Machine

I think this model has some serious quality issues IIRC from reading over on AV123???

ajzepp

I'm not intending to hack on Epik, but I will tell you that I think it's a real risk buying from them. Before I pulled the trigger on an SVS Ultra 13, I attempted on several occasions to contact Epik with a couple questions about their subs. I was interested in two of them at the time and wanted to inquire further in-depth than what I could from what was written on their website. Do you know that I never once got hold of ANYONE from this company and never rec'd a single return call? I know it's not just me, too, cause the AVS Epik forum was full of similar experiences.

I have no idea whether their products are any good cause I"ve never heard them. But I refuse to buy from a company that I can't even get hold of, and especially one who will not even take the time to return a call. All I kept thinking about was what if I dropped big money on one of their subwoofers and had an issue? I'm happy to pay a premium for excellent customer service, but this was the exact opposite.

jackman

Thanks guys!  I was not in the market but the deal looked very good. I've never seen one of these and the fact that they are local (in IL) always put them on my "audition someday" list. 

I haven't looked at the AV123 forums lately, at least since they went through all of their issues.  The only review I read regarding Epik was the old one on the monster thread at avsforums.com.  The review was very positive, although Epik has since changed driver suppliers.  I've read lots of negative comments about AV123 subs, and the other sub manufacturer (it's two letters but I can't remember, I belive it's - ED- or Elemental Designs).  Either way, I'll never buy from a company that doesn't answer emails.  SVS is a great company with a solid reputation.  I have listened to their subs and was very impressed with the performance and value.

Anyone with first-hand experience with Epik, please feel free to comment.  I don't know these guys.

Thanks,

J

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
J

I own an Epik Vanquish, solely for LFE - don't use it at all for music.  I've had several phone conversations with the folks at Epik and have never had any problems.  Good information over the phone, but I'll agree they don't respond well to e-mails.  They also just changed facilities and have not answered the phone for the last few weeks, but are answering the phone again.

Overall, nice sub with decent output. very small form factor (which I needed).  Extremely well built, no hum from the sub amp.  It does not have any form of EQ, nor does it have a manual.  Extremely well packed for shipping.

The Epiks do not have any form of veneer options, they are all black pebbled finish, no satin or piano black.

The Empire is just now shipping so don't see anything on the Empire's QC on any forum.  The Empire discussion on AV123 was discussing the new 15" driver for the upcoming MFW HR? and it's possible QC problems, not the driver in the Epik. (I believe from my reading).

I've been impressed with this sub (for movies only) and would purchase again from Epik.

Mark

jackman

Thanks!  I believe the new Epik sub has a glossy finish (at least in the picture).  That pebble finish was not attractive but subs are usually hidden so it never bothered me in pictures at least.

Zybar and Big Red, I have not read anything negative about Epik.  Can you please direct me to a thread or website?  The AV123 thread had some speculative comments regarding the new AV123 driver supplier and I know the AV123 subs had some issues with amps when they were first launched.  Where did you see anything negative about Epik? 

batmanslc2

I went through the av123 sub mfw15 challenges for a few months.  amp is now fixed and this unit has performed FLAWLESSLY ever since i put in new amp they sent me.  IT was frustrating, but I LOVE this sub now. Blends very well with my quad 12L active  I use for music and movies, dont even touch it auto on and off  I would buy this sub again