Need ideas in quest for new speakers .....

turkey

Re: Need ideas in quest for new speakers .....
« Reply #20 on: 2 Feb 2010, 01:51 pm »
You could get a pair of GedLee Summas, some subs, and still have money left over.

The only thing that would come close to that is the Linkwitz Orions, and they don't play loud enough for a large room.

cujobob

« Reply #21 on: 2 Feb 2010, 06:45 pm »
I think the Gedlee Summas with upgraded crossover parts would be what I'd do, then use multiple subs to get the bass right.  Most speakers will sound pretty awful next to these.

The Vandersteen 5As and Salk HT4s (when they're finally complete) would also be worthy options.

Nuance

« Reply #22 on: 3 Feb 2010, 05:24 pm »
I am complete agreement with cujobob.  I hear nothing but praise for the Gedlee and HT4 speakers.  I've also had the pleasure of hearing a properly setup pair of Vandersteen Model 5A's, and they are the nicest speaker I've ever heard (better than the Wilson Alexandria's, Sophia's and WattPuppy's).  They certainly need breathing room, though. 

Also, how well treated is your room?  The speakers and room make up 95% of the sound or more IMO, so the room needs to be in good shape for a speaker such as the 802D's, Model 5A's or HT4's.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have been reading about the Salks but dont fancy the idea of buying a speaker that I cant listen to first. It looks great and the AC feedback is great but where can you listen to them???

Audio Karma this year.  They were also at RMAF last year.  For a price range that large, a trip to Michigan (to Jim Salk's home) would be well worth it, for audition purposes.  Also, Dennis Murphy (in the DC area I think) will have you over for an audition if you'd like.  I don't know where you live, but those are the three places you'll be able to hear the speakers.  Also remember that Salk offers a 30-day trail period, so you can audition them in your own home, and if you don't like them you send them back for a refund.  It doesn't get much better than auditioning in your own home (this goes for any speaker, of course).  Some dealers will also allow this over a weekend if you are persistent.  They'll "hold" your credit card number in case you don't bring them back or decide to purchase. 

Happy hunting. 

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #23 on: 3 Feb 2010, 06:04 pm »
Thank you to all for the recomendations. I have been in contact with Jim Salk and will arrange an audition when I am back in the US next and have the Wilson Sophia2 the Vandersteen 5a and the Veracity HT3s on my list. I also plan to listen to the Revel Salon2. My wife ruled out the Maggies. I can hear the Harbeth line in the UK and will give them a listen

Again thank you for the adivse and I will revert with my findings

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 3 Feb 2010, 06:40 pm »
The Harbeth is going to sound absolutely nothing like your current B&W speakers.  If you considered the Usher poor quality because they didn't recess the mounting screws on the Be-10, I'm not sure what you're going to say when you see the look of the Harbeth in person.  Of course, they actually sound their best with the grill cloth on them so you don't see the drivers.  But Harbeth, while fit and finish has been top rate on all the boxes I've opened up, is definitely polarizing in its looks and isn't exotic looking.  Every Harbeth model, for the most part, excels at being listened to nearfield.  They will definitely work otherwise, but I've found the models I have on display, including the Monitor 40.1s are at their best when listened nearfield.  It seems amazing that a huge box like the Monitor 40.1s could so completely disappear even when that close to your listening position.  But they do.  Definitely take a listen.  You'll know pretty quickly whether they are your cup of tea or not. 

I'm really surprised by your comment about quality lacking on the Usher.  While they certainly can have a "love it or hate it" reaction with folks because of it's rake and curved cabinet, I've never had a single person complain about quality of the product.  In fact, that's been a hallmark of the Usher line from the cheapest model in the line on up to the top end stuff.  Veneering is absolutely perfect, cutouts are within microns of perfection, the best gloss black and paint finishes I've seen regardless of price, etc.  I've sold more Usher based on looks and fit and finish than I have sound, I think.  What, besides the way they screw down the drivers, was objectionable?

I was a Nuforce dealer for a while.  The 9SEs are fast fast fast and love complex musical passages as they don't get confused easily.  Great bottom end pitch and definition.  But definitely on the leaner side.  Are you trying to stay with this kind of sound?

turkey

« Reply #25 on: 3 Feb 2010, 07:05 pm »
British speakers are often very competitive when purchased in the UK, but they tend to be over-priced when you buy them in the US.

mshan

« Reply #26 on: 3 Feb 2010, 07:08 pm »
These guys made Vandersteen speakers sound really good a the Stereophile Hi-Fi Show in NYC years ago:  http://www.audioconnect.com/html/loudspeakers.html

Innovative Audio seems to display Wilson at shows a lot, and they were very nice people when I was in the store many, many years ago (and now have a second store on Upper East Side of NYC):  http://www.innovativeaudiovideo.com/

Lyric Hi-Fi, also in Manhattan, apparently carries Revel, though I haven't been there since early 90's, so I don't know if they might be snooty (at your price range for speakers, I doubt it):  http://www.lyricusa.com/index.php?option=com_weblinks&view=category&id=37&Itemid=56

Sound By Singer may be worth at least dropping in on to see what the supposed "best" available is:  http://www.soundbysinger.com/

And don't know how Rhapsody treats potential customers, but also in Manhattan:  http://www.rhapsodynyc.com/

Forgot about Stereo Exchange:  http://www.stereoexchange.com/

(Sonus Faber speakers look gorgeous to me)

David C

« Reply #27 on: 4 Feb 2010, 04:43 pm »
Hometheaterdoc
I do like the very fast sound of the Nuforce and the V3s are a bit less lean than the V2 amp and I want to find a speaker that takes advantage of the quickness but not necessarily lean. On the Ushers ..... the shape and veneer were in good order but the front looked and possibly was plastic, the mid range screw issue aside, when you combine the front, the horrible looking brand plate at the bottom, no grill it all starts to add up to not in the $16k range. Perhaps the metal of the mid  and tweeter drive up the costs but not in the same league as others in the fit and finish catagory. For $10 to $12K yes but not $16 to $17K. I have owned Dalquist DQ10's Maggies and even Klipsh La Scalas (real box look). but the BE10s just seemed over priced. They were very good sounding I must say

David C

« Reply #28 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:11 pm »
Hometheaterdoc one more comment/question if I may
I just looked at the www site for you store and am very curious about the Von Schweikert speakers in the $15K range. I have not had a chance to listen to them but many articles rave at the sound. How do they compare to the Ushers? synergy with the Nuforce? I have listend to Avalon and have heard they have similar sounds. I would value your opinion. Also have you heard the Revel Salon2s, bit more expensive but grand reviews. Difficult to find a dealer and lots of used ones for sale

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #29 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:13 pm »
They will definitely work otherwise, but I've found the models I have on display, including the Monitor 40.1s are at their best when listened nearfield.

I really liked these  :thumb:

They're not much to look at, yes...but who cares :)

K Shep

« Reply #30 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:29 pm »
I also plan to listen to the Revel Salon2.

The Revel Salon2 is the best speaker I have heard, IMO. 

I sat in front of Wilson Sophia2 and Wilson Sasha last week and at their price point tough to beat.  You may want to look at Revel Studio2's too.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #31 on: 4 Feb 2010, 06:46 pm »
VMPS are probably the most overlooked and under-valued speakers around.  Big B is a no B.S. kind of guy and has been around for decades.  Has won note worthy awards in the last few years with his latest/biggest speakers without buying advertizing.  His speakers all use a extended range yet small midrange ribbon driver that helps with coherency and imaging (where the number of units are minimized).

My 2nd vote would be for the Vandy's. 

Are you set on spending "X" amount?  Or just thinking you'll need to to get "Y"?  Please define exactly what you want out of these speakers.

Nuance

« Reply #32 on: 4 Feb 2010, 07:07 pm »
Oh yeah, forgot about Revel guys.  They are definitely in my top 5.  Harman really knows their stuff.

David C

« Reply #33 on: 4 Feb 2010, 08:41 pm »
JLM
not spending x amount but looking for full range dynamic speakers that lend themselves to my Nufoce gear and that have some speed (dynamics) and most of all lend themselves to WOW doesnt that sound really good. Sorry for the lack of adjectives used by others but I would like a really dynamic full range sound. I listen to all kinds of music except for classical and jazz. I need to go round and find vendors that I can listen to the variety. Difficult these days as few shops carry mutilple brands. I also need to have a high Wife acceptance factor which has ruled out the maggies

Nuance

« Reply #34 on: 5 Feb 2010, 06:06 am »
I need to go round and find vendors that I can listen to the variety. Difficult these days as few shops carry mutilple brands. I also need to have a high Wife acceptance factor which has ruled out the maggies

Good for you.  Getting out and hearing some candidates is the best thing you can do.  It may be a pain, but its worth it. 

I hope it all works out for you.  Enjoy!

Rocket

« Reply #35 on: 5 Feb 2010, 12:37 pm »
Hi,

David lives in the UK.  Getting to hear some of the recommendations is near on impossible for him.

I imported a pair of salk sound ht2's in 2008 to Australia and they are a wonderful sounding speaker.  They sound much better than my nuforce s9's that I had at home and in were better in every respect.  Perhaps Jim has imported a pair of speakers to the UK?  I know that there are several pair in Australia.

As an alternative he does have the ht3 speaker that would be superlative if you wanted to take a risk.  The UK pound is stronger than the aussie dollar.

Best wishes

Rod

David C

« Reply #36 on: 5 Feb 2010, 03:44 pm »
Down under Rod
thanks for the post. Jim said he did not know of any speakers in the UK but I will arrange a listen next time in the US. I am from the US and will being going back next spring. Do you have Nuforce amps as well?

JLM

« Reply #37 on: 5 Feb 2010, 05:58 pm »
I normally equate highly dynamic with high efficiency, so...

A year or so ago (check ecoustics.com) someone came out with a 3 way design that used Lowthers.  As I recall it was well within your budget and not too big.  If the woofer(s) can keep up with the speed of the Lowthers you'd be set.

Somehow in case you don't know, Lowthers are British extended-range, high-efficiency, highly detailed drivers, normally used without woofer/super tweeter.  Without bass help they sound thin.  The review I read indicated that having the help on both ends provided a major benefit.

Another option would be DIY Lowthers  in sealed cabinets with infinite baffle woofers.  The Hawthorne Augies are highly efficiency professional 15 inch woofers at a great price.  Google "the infinitely baffled" to find a website for infinite baffle ideas.

Dipole/bipole designs (like Maggies) require the speakers to be positioned well out into the room and produce a "wall of sound" versus a more traditional defined stereo image, so definitely check that out before jumping in that direction.

*Scotty*

« Reply #38 on: 6 Feb 2010, 01:23 am »
You might want to take a look at Reference 3a Grand Veena. Its cost is about half the amount you have budgeted. The crossover technology is completely different than the other brands of speakers you have under consideration. Here are some links to more information. http://www.tweekgeek.com/_e/Reference_3A/product/GrandVeena/Grand_Veena.htm
http://www.reference3a.com/grandveena.htm
The loudspeakers I listen to employ the same crossover topology. This approach to crossover design results in better transient response and better preservation and delivery of the dynamic life in the recording. The speakers also sound more efficient than conventionally designed loudspeakers. Fried loudspeakers also use series crossovers of a more complex nature than Reference3a.See links below.
http://www.friedproducts.com/reference.html
These loudspeaker designs represent another way of engineering a crossover and you may like this alternative approach to music reproduction.
Scotty

JLM

« Reply #39 on: 6 Feb 2010, 12:14 pm »
I've owned Frieds since the 70's.  Bud (Irving Fried) was a character (his traveling "dog and pony" shows are the stuff of legend) and involved in the industry from the 30's.  His family's realestate business allowed him to pursue his passion for music and it's reproduction.

He promoted expanding sound source (vertical tweeter, midrange, woofer layout) and first order/series crossovers to promote imaging and phase coherence.  He was also a huge advocate of transmission line loading of woofers (and even midranges in his more elaborate designs) to increase dynamics, redirect the back wave away from reflecting back out through the driver cone, extend the frequency response and match room gain, and keep the venting wave form in phase with the woofer.  Unfortunately I don't believe he lived long enough to witness the MathCad design tool developed by Martin King for transmission lines.

At the 2008 AKFest Fred presented.  They, another smaller transmission line based design, and Hawthrone open baffle speakers were the only ones there that could go deep and not produce booming bass in those crummy little rooms.  But Frieds can fill a room.  My old Fried transmission line loaded woofers were rated to 114 dB at 17 Hz and frankly were too much for any room I could afford.  But they sounded marvelous in a 20,000 cu. ft. chapel (so much so that I donated them to the church).