HTS Speakers In-Ceiling?

tmacec

HTS Speakers In-Ceiling?
« on: 31 Jan 2010, 04:17 am »
I'm thinking about replacing my old in-ceiling surrounds and rears with the HTS MTM speakers. I currently have Magneplanar 1.6's for L/R/C and Magnepan doesn't have anything I can use. I thought it might be good to stay with ribbons.

I've been emailing back and forth with Jim Salk and he suggested the HTS were my best bet, for my budget. My question is though, has anyone here mounted these in-ceiling, how did you do it and how do they sound for movies and music?

I have a couple ideas on how I would mount them but I figured I would check for better ideas.

On a side note, Jim has been great and very responsive. I sometimes worry about buying ID but my amps came from Odyssey and the owner was the same way. I've had those amps six years and never had a problem with them.

Thanks
Tom

TomW16

Re: HTS Speakers In-Ceiling?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2010, 04:25 am »
I am not sure if you have access to the joists in the ceiling but if you do, you might want to consider building a MDF box for the in-ceiling speakers.  This will allow the speaker to perform better and would reduce the sound escaping to the room above.

I am sure that Jim would do this but in-ceiling speakers would also need some baffle step adjustment.

Cheers,
Tom

tmacec

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2010, 04:48 am »
I do have full access to the attic and there is plenty of room.  The HTS are enclosed and Jim can adjust the Bafflle Step.  However, normally in-walls/ceilings have some kind of mounting system like dog-legs, but this would essentially be placing a bookshelf speaker flush into a ceiling.  Unless I am missing something, it looks like the HTS has no mounting system.

I thought I could frame arouund the opening (in the attic) and then screw into the sides of the speaker but I'd hate to do that in case I ever wanted to pull them out and use them in-room.

Thanks,
Tom

Srgtfury

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2010, 06:43 pm »
I do have full access to the attic and there is plenty of room.  The HTS are enclosed and Jim can adjust the Bafflle Step.  However, normally in-walls/ceilings have some kind of mounting system like dog-legs, but this would essentially be placing a bookshelf speaker flush into a ceiling.  Unless I am missing something, it looks like the HTS has no mounting system.

I thought I could frame arouund the opening (in the attic) and then screw into the sides of the speaker but I'd hate to do that in case I ever wanted to pull them out and use them in-room.

Thanks,
Tom
I would think that being able to access the joists/attic space and install the speakers with great attention to their installed position, as they relate to the listening position(s) is essential.  I have used Sonance's in ceilings , with pivotable tweeters in similar situations, where in ceiling were the only option.  I have no idea how a fixed, downward firing in ceiling would work, especially if there is a non carpeted flooring material in place, but clearly an inferior design.

Maybe Jim can construct a pivotable tweeter or an angled, recessed in cabinet speaker face plate with "usual, ," say 9 foot ceiling and 7 foot from installed position angles to seating...would have to be very custom and a lot of redesign-sounds $$$$.  As detailed as many are, with half an inch of toein for floor standers, the $/benefit has to be clearly thought out.  I wonder if anyone has tried the install you are contemplating?  This may be the one case where, even Jim would accept ARC/Audyssey.

Thank you very much

Fury

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2010, 07:18 pm »

Thanks,
Tom

The attic is a poor place for speakers of that quality.  My attic's temperature ranges from near zero to 120+, and the humidity nears 100 percent on certain days.  Even if you cover well with insulation, that's still a wide range of temperatures and humidities.  I'd be surprised if the speakers lasted much longer than a year, and the veneer would be shot way before then.

tmacec

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2010, 12:23 am »
Interesting points.  First, my ceiling is vaulted and angled into the listening area pretty evenly on both sides.  The ceiling angle is around 30 degrees so the speakers are aimed at the listening area.  The current direct fire surrounds and rears are mounted at 10'6" from the floor.  It's not the best situation, but they sound pretty good for where they are.  I don't have much of a choice because it is part of a larger area and I have no walls on either side.

Second, you got me a little worried about the whole heat/cold thing but I'm not sure if it will be that bad.  I live in Florida so the cold won't be an issue, but we sure get the hot temperatures and humidity.  I see your point about the veneer but I don't know how it will affect the drivers.  I mean other speaker manufacturers (Triad, Niles, RBH, etc.) design in-ceiling speakers for a reason, so they must be a viable option.  I also thought enclosed would be a better option. My current ceiling speakers are 17 year old Boston Acoustics and except for replacing a dried out woofer 6 years ago, they still function.

The more I think about it I wouldn't be able to use them outside of the ceiling because the Baffle Step Compensation is adjusted for in-wall only.  Like I said this is my only option, so I am making the best of it.

Thanks for the help,
Tom

Srgtfury

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2010, 04:30 am »
I have also done an instal with Meridian 5500's as Center, sides and rears, mounted in a soffit and angled to the listening spot of choice.  With the boundary correction software thru the Meridian 861, it sounded amazingly good, BUT the center higher than the floor 6000's, was a bit odd in L-R pans, for example. So, if you are thinking at all about using floor  placed L&R's with that height differential-be very careful.  The soffit,in that case was contiguous with the attic space and in So. Cal., and no problem with temp changes-YMMV.  Without doubt, the all floor Meridian suite I did with 8000's all around was superior., in most regards, but I did not prefer the floor placed rears. 

Now, the Sonance product I mentioned, with pivotable tweeter, made the sound stage psycho-acoustically drop, albeit with a totally different net effect.  Sounds like your room is an acoustic nightmare, rife for all sorts of acoustic treatments that you can't employ.  If there ever was a case to listen to the ceiling application of some of these options, this is it.  Has Jim ever created a speaker with a pivotable tweeter, etc..  Could you build a soffit and house the speakers in it?

Thank you very much

Fury