Interest in new modified 40 watt EL34 mono blocs?? updated

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
We have come across some more exclusive products. As mentioned in another topic here, we have availability to a very limited number of what started out life as Antique Sound Labs 40 watt mono blocs using 4x EL34 power tubes per channel in parallel with 6SN7 drivers.

These will be brand new units that will have upgrade modifications performed prior to releasing them. They originally sold for about $1,400 in stock form. Below is a short list of some of the upgrades that will be performed:

** Grade 1 (the best)  transformers and power supply choke are utilized in this product.

** Coupling capacitors upgraded to higher voltage Theta  AudioCap pieces - 8 pieces per pair

** Grid Capacitor to #2 6SN7 replaced with one AuriCap high voltage capacitor - 2 piece per pair

** Power supply filter capacitors bypassed with high voltage Theta AudioCap.- 4 pieces per pair

** All coupling capacitors will now be rewired direct to grid stopper resistors and ground plain.

** All internal wiring, including ground plain will be rewired eliminating as much copper trace as possible..

** "Ultra Fast - Soft Recovery" diodes installed in the rectifying bridge - 8 total pieces

** Input signal wire replaced with 22 awg copper.

** Bybee Quantum Purifiers installed in the B+ voltage after the mains transformer - optional 4 total pieces

** Critical signal path resistors replaced with Dale/Vishay 1 watt, 1%, non-magnetic pieces. We have taken all original 1/2 watt pieces and used 1 watt pieces in their place for quieter operation. - 44 pieces

** Heavy damping material applied to the interior of the chassis to eliminate vibration

** Solid 3/8" thick Cherry or Black Walnut Face plates - optional (pentode/triode switch moved from front plate)

** Labor 5+ hours

** Burn in 12 hours

$1,900 - 1 pair as listed above with Bybee Quantum Purifiers in B+ voltage and solid Silver internal wiring.
$1,700 - 1 pair with w/o Bybee Quantum Purifiers
$130 additional for 8 matched SED EL34 power tubes

Warranty: 1 year - 6 months on tubes
(Warranty is through Response Audio)

I had originally wanted to release them for about $1k per pair but do to a misunderstanding on my part, they will be closer to $1k each or just under $2k for the pair. We had originally expected a larger number of these units but will only be receiving enough to build 3 or 4 pair. I will have one single amp available. Maybe an HT setup?

Personal evaluations will be performed with both with and without preamps. I wil be using my RAM CD25 with variable out as well as an Audio Note M-One remote tube preamp while also considering purchasing one of Dan Wright's new tube linestage units to have around for testing of the many new products we will be bring forward. This could be my new reference pre.

Ayway, just checking in here at the circle to get impressions. Warranty on these units will be 1 year through Response Audio.

Also.....look for more exclusive modified tube amplifiers due out in the forthcoming weeks. SOme a bit more pricey while other much less. I will have "short list" of new products and release dates soon.

As always, Circle feedback is greatly appreciated.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2004, 02:00 am »
Just wanted to add something here. With all the newly modified exclusive products we have in preperation, we have come up with a name for this series.

All of our new series will be the "Musica Bella" series. The mono blocs will be:

Musica Bella
    RAM40M

RAM40M = Response Audio Modified- 40 watt - Mono
  We also have a new RA30i which is = Response Audio - 30 watt - integrated (due out in April)

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2004, 02:17 pm »
Below we have a few pics of these amps prior to the Cherry Face plate and repositioning of the Pentode/Triode switch.

I will also post before and after PICs of the internal son.

Most have commented that the black face plates must go. Personal taste is obviously the deciding factor here.