New copy of library in MP3

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
New copy of library in MP3
« on: 29 Jan 2010, 06:38 pm »
Greetings:

I'd like to convert the contents of my library to MP3 while keeping the original content unchanged. I've tried reading up on the procedure but can't seem to find a way to convert tracks without creating duplicates in my current library.

My preference is to keep MP3 (for the iPod) and higher rez separate. Any suggestions?

baldrick

Re: New copy of library in MP3
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2010, 07:36 pm »
My only suggestion is to forget MP3.
Either use Apple Lossless or some other codec like AAC that doesn't mangle the sound as badly as MP3.
Drive space is so cheap nowadays that it makes sense to store everything uncompressed (or the very least in a lossless format).

Mike Nomad

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2010, 07:52 pm »
My only suggestion is to forget MP3.
Either use Apple Lossless or some other codec like AAC that doesn't mangle the sound as badly as MP3.
Drive space is so cheap nowadays that it makes sense to store everything uncompresses (or the very least in a lossless format).

+1.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2010, 08:08 pm »
Thanks for the replies, but let me clarify. I plan to put the MP3s on an iPod nano. Since I'll be listening through earbuds, I'm willing to give up some resolution to have more music on the nano.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2010, 08:17 pm »
~
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2014, 08:45 pm by Mike Nomad »

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2010, 08:36 pm »
I agree with Mike & baldrick. With time you might find other uses for your Ipod. I use mine for our outdoor deck system, in our cars and lately some of the hotels we've stayed at have had nice Ipod clock radio systems in the room.

As to your original question, one way to solve your problem if your using Windows, is to take your duplicates and put them in a separate folder, create another user on the system and have iTunes for the new user point to the new folder you created.

Len

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2010, 09:09 pm »
I'm on a mac, but I don't think that's an issue. So the consensus is that AAC is the preferred format.

So I should make a new library and then import everything in AAC, correct? Then I can sync this library with the nono.

I would need to log into my computer under a new account to make this work, correct?

Thanks for your patience on this one.

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2010, 09:19 pm »
I would suggest you only need one library with all the files converted to apple lossless and then you wouldn't need the additional user and the headaches of maintaining two libraries.

Len

Crimson

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2010, 09:26 pm »
You have two options:

1. Retain all the AAC files in the same library and separate them via Smart Playlists.

2. Create a separate library by holding down the Option key while starting iTunes. This way you can switch between libraries without having to log in as a different user.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2010, 09:29 pm »
I've had some issues with Apple Lossless and now typically import using AIFF. So my library is a mix of both.

For the nano, I want more content even if its lower resolution. It looks like AAC will be the way to go.

I wouldn't maintain two libraries of course. Just convert one and then move it to the trash.

Just saw Crimson's suggestion on the option key. Sounds like a winner.

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2010, 09:43 pm »
Hey Crimson  :thumb:

Do you know if your second option works with Windows too?

Len

Crimson

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2010, 09:47 pm »
Hey Crimson  :thumb:

Do you know if your second option works with Windows too?

Len

Ask and ye shall receive.

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2010, 09:54 pm »
Thanks much.

In the past, I used the second user account, when I had my music spread across two hard drives.

Len