MINI DSP

avionic

MINI DSP
« on: 27 Jan 2010, 06:25 am »
I am sure that many of you here also visit diy audio forum as well,but thought I would post this here as I have not seen it on this forum. Interesting and cheap. http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/details/40/7/minidsp

mgalusha

Re: MINI DSP
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2010, 02:23 pm »
That is very cool, thanks for posting this.

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2010, 02:37 pm »
I wish they had the PEQ blocks available like the DCX has.  I'm thinking 2 in (mono/stereo) summed to 4 mono out to drive 4 subs independently would be really nice  :thumb:

avionic

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2010, 03:23 pm »
I wish they had the PEQ blocks available like the DCX has.  I'm thinking 2 in (mono/stereo) summed to 4 mono out to drive 4 subs independently would be really nice  :thumb:

There is a small forum on the dsp site and there is talk of a PEQ option in the future. An amplified version of the mini dsp is also in the works. I have no affiliation with them this is just what I have gathered from information on the site.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2010, 09:05 am »
Anyone tried this yet? Parametric EQs are now available, as well as Mac support. Looks like a DIYer dream come true.

dwk

« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2010, 01:03 pm »
This does look like an interesting platform, but being limited to 48kHz has kept me from picking up a unit.  If they had the same features in an 88/96kHz capable unit, I'd be seriously looking at it.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2010, 02:36 pm »
Well, but, it's a hundred dollars. Double the sampling rate would require twice the processing power and would make it cost more.

dwk

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2010, 03:39 pm »
Sure - it would be more expensive. But IMHO it's so cheap as it is that absorbing a bit of an increase for the expanded capability would be OK.
As it is though, for 16/44 source material this seems to give close to the capabilities of a DCX2496 but with I2S in/out, which is a pretty nice setup.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2010, 06:10 pm »
I think being able to drive it over USB is a plus though - ? I'm curious to see what the UI is like. Anyway, I ordered one in the case and the stereo crossover plugin, with postage the total was USD160.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2010, 01:28 pm »
I've been listening to the miniDSP 2x4 (the one in a box for another $25) for a couple of days now, with the "2-way crossover with parametric EQ" "plugin". For the price, this thing is killer! For DIYers, I reckon it's worth getting one just to play with, you'll think of loads of interesting projects shortly thereafter I expect.

I ordered the no-cost external DC power option, for now mine is being powered by a cellphone charger I had lying around.

For the less technically-inclined, I think I'd like to write an article/tutorial or two for hifizine on how to use it.

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2010, 09:26 am »
My first tutorial on how to use the miniDSP is now published on hifizine -

http://www.hifizine.com/2010/09/subwoofer-equalization-and-integration-with-the-minidsp-2x4/

There are a couple of tweaks that I'd like to make to the article still. But any comments, either here or there, would be appreciated :)

In short - I think it's a great little unit, once you have one you'll be thinking of all kinds of projects you could use it for (I am anyway).

TomS

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2010, 10:58 am »
John - Thanks for the nice writeup.  Does it have the ability to sum L/R and then apply the summed signal to each of the 4 outputs, with individual PEQ tuning for a 4 sub setup?  I asked them awhile back and they weren't quite ready for prime time.  Tom

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2010, 11:57 am »
Hi Tom - if I understand what you're wanting to do, you'd be looking to use the 4-way PEQ crossover plugin, but with summing of the two inputs instead of selection between them. I don't have that plugin but do need to get it soon. I suspect that it won't sum the two inputs, but will report back for sure.

TomS

« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2010, 02:07 pm »
Hi Tom - if I understand what you're wanting to do, you'd be looking to use the 4-way PEQ crossover plugin, but with summing of the two inputs instead of selection between them. I don't have that plugin but do need to get it soon. I suspect that it won't sum the two inputs, but will report back for sure.
Yes, the DCX2496 allows any of the 6 outputs to accept A, B, or A+B inputs, then apply PEQ individually to the outputs.

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2010, 02:33 pm »
Oh OK. I don't have a DCX so can't comment on what it does... Maybe that's your solution then - ?

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2010, 02:54 pm »
To followup on this one, I now have the 4-way PEQ plugin and it only allows you to select either input channel 1 or 2, not to mix them. I would think it wouldn't be too much of a software enhancement to sum or mix them, so you might want to post in the request forum on the miniDSP site so they can consider it for a future revision.

In the meantime, a straightforward solution would be to use a cheap mixer in front of the miniDSP e.g. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MX400.aspx.