Interesting System Build under $1000.00

Raulduke69

Interesting System Build under $1000.00
« on: 26 Jan 2010, 10:41 pm »
Ok so I want to build a interesting sub $1k audio system for my living room.

A few things about my living room. Unlike most peoples living room it does not have a Home Theater system in it already...actually it does not have a television. It is primarly filled with conversation, reading or kids playing with toys. Also amazingly considering how much nice audio equiptment I have; currently it's only musical source is a Vers 2X that I got for Christmas sourced with an ipod touch (this sounds like poo...anybody wanna buy a Vers 2X?)

So here is my current idea. I build a nice low watt DIY integrated tube amp (got any ideas which one I should build?) source it with one of many existing CD players I already own (probably a older Rega) and use it to power a set of Fritz single driver speakers http://www.fritzspeakers.com/FullRangeSpecs.htm

Speaker placement...will be bad, on bookshelves with maybe 6 inches rear clearance. Speaker cabinets will be either sealed or front ported (he'll build them custom so my choice). I am aware they will not "image" in this placement, I've got other systems for that. Room will be un-treated, has rough wood paneling, carpet and not too many reflective surfaces.

Questions are:

1. Why is this a bad idea?
2. What's your better idea with in my existing budget?

Thanks,

Chris

cujobob

Re: Interesting System Build under $1000.00
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2010, 11:34 pm »
For a grand you can find some tremendous used speakers that would be a huge upgrade.  You can use cheap electronics to make up for the difference in price.

The GR-Research N2X built by www.skiingninja.com would be a better idea...they are sealed and sound absolutely incredible.  You could pair them with a cheap T-amp or receiver and get better sound quality than out of a flawed single driver speaker.  Danny has demos out there right now if you want to hear them before purchasing.

nodiak

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2010, 12:02 am »
it sounds like a nice room to be in with conversation and kids.
Amp - tubes might be out of place with kids? Even a nerf ball hitting tubes would be a drag. I'd consider one of the many Class D amps - like the 120 watt one in current thread (I'm going with the 250 watt model for $189). Or a gainclone.
Speakers - I came across some crazy cheap high quality Eminence 12" drivers in the Swap Meet forum at diyaudio. Require a 2.5 - 3ft3 sealed box or twice that vented. $35/each plus shipping. Maybe you could make cabs for these as end tables (use metal grilles for protection) and a 4" single driver for the mids up. I'm doing that tho going ob for the 4" single driver. Am doing simple xo of 6.5mH on the 12, and 40-70uF on the single. About $200 for a pair of full range speakers. 12's play without much strain at low to loud levels, small single drivers don't do that.
Save $500 for the family.
My 2 cents.
Don

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2010, 01:22 am »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the idea.

I'll toss in my ideas. As for speakers, I'd look towards a used (or new if you feel the need) pair of B&W bookshelf speakers. There are tons to choose from and most are relatively nice sounding. You'll even find that some are front ported.

Now for the front end. Personally, I'd go for a vintage tubed integrated/receiver like an HH Scott 299 or Fisher 400/500. Either of these units will smooth out the warts of the inexpensive B&W speakers and the even worse placement problems you will encounter.

Stating the obvious, both of those receivers have tone controls. Since you aren't concerned about soundstaging and all the audiophile stuff and you want great tone, these tone controls will become your best friend in your room.

Then to top the system off I'd go for a plain old stock Sqeezebox. It will be a welcome addition to a very relaxed listening system.

All in including zip cord for speaker cables and cheap AR interconnects, you'll have enough left over to buy some new music.

B&W speakers used (DM series) - $200
HH Scott 299 (rebuilt) - $400
Squeezebox (used) - $200
Cabling - $50
Total - $850
Sound - Priceless  :thumb:

Raulduke69

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2010, 02:38 am »
I have a pair of B&W CDM1's I could use but I find them really fatiguing and overly bright, also they are a little big for my application. 

I really want something warm and easy to listen to in this system since it will not be used for critical listening (it'll see alot of "background music" use)

also considering a t-amp (virtue audio used?) but I haven't heard one so???  As well as other less expensive single driver speakers...fritz builds great stuff though.

I am not married to the full range single driver concept but I'm intrigued by the novelty of it and not too scared of it in this application or at this price point.

Mariusz

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2010, 02:59 am »
To bad you ruled out  floor-standers.  :(

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2010, 09:09 pm »
I probably should have explained my reasoning for the choices I made a little better.

First the speakers. When you place speakers against a wall, you get a significant boost in the bass due to boundary reinforcement. There are a number of speakers specifically designed to take advantage of this. The first that comes to mind are some of the Audio Note Speakers. Putting those aside, you say the CM B&W's are a bit bright. I realize that, that is why I suggested the bookshelf B&W's. Placed against the wall, the boundary effects will (hopefully) offset those B&W's inherent brightness, lifting the bass to a point where the sound 'evens out'.

Next, to combat some of that same 'brightness of the inexpensive B&W's I suggested a vintage tube integrated. They (unless somebody goes overboard in the rebuild) tend to have that 'tubey' sound. Read=rolled, less defined highs, but a great and lush sounding midrange. Again, taming the highs even further.

Next I suggested a stock Squeezebox. The stock SB is rather pedestrian sounding. Read = a bit rolled and less defined highs. Again, helping to tame the highs.

The other item I mentioned is the benefit of tone controls. You are setting up a listening system that doesn't conform to traditional audiophile rules (ie; pulling speakers out from the wall, specific spacing between, trying to image, etc,). It is going to be extremely difficult to get an even sound top to bottom with the listening system configured as you plan. Even with the suggestions I've made, the sound could be a little lumpy in places. The tone controls will help smooth out some of those lumps. I would have suggested an EQ but that is going a bit far for the system you are assembling. The trick to the system is balance. Forward sounding speakers and relaxed sounding front end......balance.

One thing I can say with reasonable surety is that an integrated without tone controls, especially a T amp, is only going to sound reasonably well on certain types of music with the system set up in your configuration. The rest of the music will [likely] sound thin and anemic. If it were me, I'd pick something that has some sort of tone shaping ability...but that's just me.

cujobob

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2010, 09:14 pm »
What you propose basically erases the midrange.

Get the best sealed monitor you can accord and just use a high quality chipamp or something.  Compromising your setup with crappy speakers seems foolish.

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2010, 11:09 pm »
If you don't care for the B&Ws sell 'em and add that money to the kitty.

:eyebrows:

JeffBrown

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2010, 07:03 pm »
I think Fritz makes a solid speaker and a killer price.  I'm personally not into that single driver sound, but I've heard the 6" model and it is very nice, great tone with almost any amp.

I personally dont see a problem with buying a solid hand-made in the USA speaker, with a well finished real wood veneer for $475.  If you're not intentionally going for that single driver SET sound, look at some other options, but if you are, I think you're on the right track price and sound wise.

Well that's my 2 cents...

Jeff Brown