OK..Whats a DAC??

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
OK..Whats a DAC??
« on: 26 Jan 2010, 02:07 am »
I'm thinking its a Digital Audio Converter? Like something I would put between my laptop and my AV receiver that converts digital audio from like itunes and makes the signal or file a better quality is that correct?? I currently have all my music in itunes format on my VAIO laptop and can output it via HDMI to my SONY STR-DH800 AV Receiver and play it, I could also use the headphone output from the laptop and take that into my receiver...whats the best way of those 2 choices?? Should I invest in a Sounblaster X-FI sound card for my express card slot?? I'm new to all this and need some direction. Thanks in advance!!!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: OK..Whats a DAC??
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2010, 03:17 am »
A DAC (digital-to-analog converter) is:
 a) the part of the cd player that converts digital signals on the disc to analog signals that come out the rca plugs on the back
 b) an essential audio part of any DVD player, surround processor or av receiver
 c) a stand-alone box that has digital inputs and analog (and sometimes digital) outputs.
 d) all of the above

D is the correct answer.  A DAC is known in the modern computer audiophile world as "c" more often than not....in that it is now thought of as the stand alone box that contains a power supply, a DAC chipset, an analog stage, a set of output connectors (RCA and/or XLR) and a set of input connectors (some combination of coax, optical, USB, firewire, I2S, etc).  But in reality "DAC' has been used as the description for just the chipset (inside cd players, DVD players, surround processors.....anything that needs to turn digital audio signals  into analog).  So, you see, your cd player is really two main things...a transport (the thing that spins) and a DAC (with its analog stage).  So when stand alone DAC units became available people used their cd players as transports only and hooked a digital cable out of the cd player and into a (logically better sounding) DAC processor.  The thinking is that each box can be upgraded or replaced, and can be designed to do very specific things, not unlike having a preamp, a tuner and an amp (rather than an all-in-one receiver).. 

DAC chipsets are evolving constantly, so you'll hear people say "what DAC is in that player".  They mean the chipset maker (i.e Wolfson, Burr Brown, Sabre, etc) and the model number (7162, ESS801, etc).  Also, what sample rate does the DAC support?  This tells us what types of files the DAC can convert (16/44 for cds, 24/48 for DVD soundtracks, 24/96 and higher for high resolution music, etc).  But only final thing......being that a modern standalone DAC box is NOT just a chipset, but instead a regulated power supply, a well-tuned analog stage, a set of connectors, etc..it's not important to just know the specs of the chipset, it's important to know the build quality and musical nature of the whole box.  I can make a cheap DAC chipset sound wayyyy more musical (using good analog parts after the conversion, and before the output connectors) than you can using a 24/96 chipset and a bunch of $.10 analog opamps.  It's all about execution.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2010, 01:40 pm »
Thank you for the great response....I get the picture now. So my AV Receiver does the conversion now, or should I say my SONY BDP-S360 Blu-ray player converts it then sends it to the receiver where it is processed again and then output, right? So if I use my latop as the source and output it through my receiver the signal gets processed twice? So is it better to use the HDMI output from my blu-ray player or the digital audio output??

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2010, 02:04 pm »
Thank you for the great response....I get the picture now. So my AV Receiver does the conversion now, or should I say my SONY BDP-S360 Blu-ray player converts it then sends it to the receiver where it is processed again and then output, right? So if I use my latop as the source and output it through my receiver the signal gets processed twice? So is it better to use the HDMI output from my blu-ray player or the digital audio output??

It's only being "processed" where the analog signal exits.  if you send digital (coax or HDMI) to the receiver it's only being processed in the receiver.  For Blu-Ray you must choose HDMi otherwise certain audio codecs like TRueHD or DTS HD MA won't get processed.

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2010, 02:15 pm »
It's only being "processed" where the analog signal exits.  if you send digital (coax or HDMI) to the receiver it's only being processed in the receiver.  For Blu-Ray you must choose HDMi otherwise certain audio codecs like TRueHD or DTS HD MA won't get processed.

I believe these will get downsampled.  So, you'll get information, but it won't be at the same sample rate and bit depth as the original. 

Also, if the Bluray player can process these signals and output to analog, the player can process the HD formats and output analog.

Yes, it's stupid, but that's the way Hollywood wants it to be.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2010, 02:34 pm »
I believe these will get downsampled.  So, you'll get information, but it won't be at the same sample rate and bit depth as the original. 

Also, if the Bluray player can process these signals and output to analog, the player can process the HD formats and output analog.

Yes, it's stupid, but that's the way Hollywood wants it to be.

Not true.  As I said HDMI is the correct choice for him; HDMI will NOT downsample his Blu Ray audio; his Sony 800 AVR has Blu Ray decoders for TrueHD, DTS HD, etc..  But since he mentioned that his receiver will process the analog signal (i.e no bypass) he wouldn't want to have his player decode them and send them analog.  Too much processing.

This is not a good thread for this forum.  It's become Home theater 101.  It should prolly go to that Circle.  Once there, we can discuss his specific receiver's functionality or lack thereof,. and decide which is a better signal path.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2010, 02:42 pm »
I was finally able to hook my laptop up to my AV Receiver via HDMI and spent the day yesterday listening to my itunes library...I pulled out "Stanley Clarke's:Journey to Love"...what a great album...anyway can anyone offer up any tweaks I can make to itunes for better output? Is there a better media player for playback...Foobar? or Media Monkey? What is considered the best quality playback software for
MPEG and AAC audio files?? Thanks in advance. Ed