Any Success with 15' USB Cable?

viggen

Any Success with 15' USB Cable?
« on: 25 Jan 2010, 06:04 pm »
Well, I just wanted to hear if anybody else has experience with this as, to my surprise, I am successfully connecting PC to DAC with a 15' USB cable. 

I've read that you shouldn't go over 2m. 

My previous cable was a 2m Belkin Gold, and I think I prefer the 15ft (gold plated) Monoprice USB cable.  Belkin sounds a bit thin in comparison.

Just wondering whether I am a myth buster or an outlier.

ebag4

Re: Any Success with 15' USB Cable?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2010, 06:08 pm »
I have only tried the one 5 meter USB (Belkin Gold) so I can't offer any cable comparisons, but I never had any issue with it working properly.

Best,
Ed

mshan

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2010, 06:10 pm »
I thought usb spec was maximum of about 15 ft. unless you have an active repeater added (?)

hi5harry

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2010, 06:16 pm »
I have been using a 15 foot usb cable for a couple years now and it works great!

viggen

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2010, 06:17 pm »
Yup, USB spec is 15ft (5m).  I did double check the stats before purchasing the cable.

Just read on forums here and there that you shouldn't use cable longer than 2m.  I believe the reason for this is because most DACs do not have data buffer unlike other USB device.

I guess I am neither an outlier nor a myth buster!

strider

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2010, 02:24 pm »
I'm using a 15 footer as well. No issues per se, but I've always wondered if its length was detrimental in any way. I'll check out the Monoprice cable.

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2010, 03:09 pm »
I've been using a 5m USB cable since the USB DACs/SPDIF converters hit the market. No issues whatsoever. That isn't to say that a shorter cable might not sound different but the 5m cable works like a champ (including my 5m DIY cable).

jrebman

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2010, 03:08 am »
I was using a 5m Wireworld Ultraviolet with no issues whatsoever BTW, they also make a 7 meter cable for audio use).  Now I'm using a Wireworld StarLight -- one level up from the UltraViolet, and it's even better -- better bass, better highs and detail, and better soundstage and imaging.

I just ordered a 20-incher to go between my headless linux box and the Cosecant, so we'll see what effect the shorter length has (of course with the linux box it's not really a comparison unless I also try the longer cable with it as well.)

I have heard rumors that somebody is coming out with a usb 2.0 cable that will work for audio at 75 feet, but I don't recall who the manufacturer will be, or if it was just a rumor.

-- Jim

DSD_Mastering

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2010, 12:14 am »
Another option are USB CAT5e extenders by NTI and Gefen. We use these without a single problem at hundreds of feet!

Regards,

PSP

Cat5e USB extenders... best choice for audio?
« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2010, 06:48 pm »
Hi Bruce,
These CAT5e USB extenders look very interesting.  There seems to be a lot of choices... are any particularly suited (or unsuitable) for an 75 foot run to a USB DAC? 

Thanks for posting,
Peter

hi5harry

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2010, 07:22 pm »
I am using a 15 foot usb in my system. I just changed  to the Wireworld Starlight ( from the Ultraviolet ) and am thrilled with the new cable. I noticed a LARGE difference in soundstage, bass and mid bass energy that really made it a " no brainer" purchase at that price.
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2010, 07:39 am by hi5harry »

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2010, 07:51 pm »
Hi Bruce,
These CAT5e USB extenders look very interesting.  There seems to be a lot of choices... are any particularly suited (or unsuitable) for an 75 foot run to a USB DAC? 

Thanks for posting,
Peter

I wouldn't be too concerned with the brand. Smart Technologies is another one that comes to mind in commercial A/V.

Extron also makes a transmitter/receiver pair, but those are likely to be harder to find used.

They do work very well :)

DSD_Mastering

« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2010, 08:36 pm »
I'd certainly look into the powered USB extenders by NTI. We have 6 or 7 and they haven't even had a hiccup in over 3 years!

http://www.networktechinc.com/usbc5.html

Regards,