VMPS RM2 Neo in need of repair in Chicago

JP78

VMPS RM2 Neo in need of repair in Chicago
« on: 25 Jan 2010, 04:12 am »
Hey guys, a friend's RM2 Neo got damaged in shipping...a binding post cracked off and the tweeter on one of the speakers no longer works...I'm not sure if the tweeter is damaged (looks fine) or if a wire came loose. DIY is not an option; is there a reputable repair shop or an experienced owner in the area that's willing to do the repair work for a reasonable fee? If there's going to be a lot of labor he's also willing to consider upgrades while the speakers are open.  He has no problems dropping off and picking up in a +75 mile radius of the city.

Thanks,

John Casler

Re: VMPS RM2 Neo in need of repair in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2010, 08:44 pm »
Hey guys, a friend's RM2 Neo got damaged in shipping...a binding post cracked off and the tweeter on one of the speakers no longer works...I'm not sure if the tweeter is damaged (looks fine) or if a wire came loose. DIY is not an option; is there a reputable repair shop or an experienced owner in the area that's willing to do the repair work for a reasonable fee? If there's going to be a lot of labor he's also willing to consider upgrades while the speakers are open.  He has no problems dropping off and picking up in a +75 mile radius of the city.

Thanks,

Hi JP,

Doesn't look like there are too many DIY type VMPS'ers out there in your area.

From your description it sounds like a rather easy "fix" of the binding posts.

Likely the lower posts (which run the tweeter and Neopanels) were mechanically impacted and one of them broke.  This is easy to fix and requires the following:

Philips Screwdriver to remove the screws holding the woofer.

A small pair of pliars to unscrew the nut on the broken binding post.

A soldering iron and a bit of solder to "re-solder" whatever wire has broken loose.

So you would simply:

1) Uscrew all the screws holding the woofer in

2) Gently remove the Woofer and either "unclip" or unsolder it (MAKE NOTE OF THE CONNECTIONS AND MARK THEM!!!)

3) Remove the FiberFill until you can clearly see the BOTTOM (damaged) binding posts (the top posts are to the woofer)

4) unsolder the wires to the posts (again NOTE which wire connects where)

5) remove the nut holding the binding post in place and remove the post.

6) Insert the NEW posts through the same hole, and tighten the nut securely

7) resolder the wiring and BEFORE reconnecting the woofer, check the tweeter see if it is operating.

If so, replace the Fiberfill, resolder or reclip the woofer leads, screw the woofer back into place and enjoy.

While this can be a bit daunting initally, it is not difficult if you have the tools and are not in a hurry.

You should actually replace the binding post PAIR.

Maybe there are some other Audio Hobbiests in the area who can assist.  You don't have to do anything "specific" that involves a VMPS tech or owner.

This job is FAR EASIER if you can put the speaker up on a work bench that has LOTS of lighting that can be moved.  The 12" woofer when removed makes a large enough hole to allow you to work easily (the RM30's are a bear)

I would also suggest you try a couple other things before attempting said repair.

Firstly it would be unusual that the binding post damage would affect the tweeter and NOT the neopanels, so you might even want to ask B, what might be the best way to handle such a case.

He may suggest removing the tweeter and sending it in also.

JP78

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2010, 04:30 am »
Hi JP,

Doesn't look like there are too many DIY type VMPS'ers out there in your area.

From your description it sounds like a rather easy "fix" of the binding posts.

Likely the lower posts (which run the tweeter and Neopanels) were mechanically impacted and one of them broke.  This is easy to fix and requires the following:

Philips Screwdriver to remove the screws holding the woofer.

A small pair of pliars to unscrew the nut on the broken binding post.

A soldering iron and a bit of solder to "re-solder" whatever wire has broken loose.

So you would simply:

1) Uscrew all the screws holding the woofer in

2) Gently remove the Woofer and either "unclip" or unsolder it (MAKE NOTE OF THE CONNECTIONS AND MARK THEM!!!)

3) Remove the FiberFill until you can clearly see the BOTTOM (damaged) binding posts (the top posts are to the woofer)

4) unsolder the wires to the posts (again NOTE which wire connects where)

5) remove the nut holding the binding post in place and remove the post.

6) Insert the NEW posts through the same hole, and tighten the nut securely

7) resolder the wiring and BEFORE reconnecting the woofer, check the tweeter see if it is operating.

If so, replace the Fiberfill, resolder or reclip the woofer leads, screw the woofer back into place and enjoy.

While this can be a bit daunting initally, it is not difficult if you have the tools and are not in a hurry.

You should actually replace the binding post PAIR.

Maybe there are some other Audio Hobbiests in the area who can assist.  You don't have to do anything "specific" that involves a VMPS tech or owner.

This job is FAR EASIER if you can put the speaker up on a work bench that has LOTS of lighting that can be moved.  The 12" woofer when removed makes a large enough hole to allow you to work easily (the RM30's are a bear)

I would also suggest you try a couple other things before attempting said repair.

Firstly it would be unusual that the binding post damage would affect the tweeter and NOT the neopanels, so you might even want to ask B, what might be the best way to handle such a case.

He may suggest removing the tweeter and sending it in also.

John, I appreciate the very detailed reply, but unfortunately DIY is not an option. I suppose I'll try posting this in more general forums looking for a general speaker repair shop in the Chicago area, and include your very complete instructions as guidance..thanks again.

Brax

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2010, 11:01 pm »
JP,

If you can't find a shop to help you out, maybe I can help. I live in Kenosha so it would be a bit of a drive. I'm not tech, but have worked on my RM40s and LRC. Replacing the binding posts is pretty easy because they are not glued in from what John has said.

mosawdust

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2010, 11:55 pm »
Again, not within 75 miles, I'm just outside Springfield, Mo. Not a tech, but it's an easy enough job.

Brian

JP78

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2010, 02:01 am »
Brax - Sounds great. I will forward this information over and we can figure out a game plan. They're not my speakers but I recommended VMPS to my friend so I'm obligated to help him find a solution. :)

mosawdust - If I can't workout things with Brax I'll let you know. Thanks very much for the offer.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2010, 05:59 pm »
You have to love the VMPS community.

Thanks guys for making the offers. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2010, 06:03 pm »
Hey Brax,

Many years ago, I helped build and run some Health Clubs in Racine, and have many "fond" memories of Racine/Kenosha.

Brax

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2010, 10:42 pm »

John,

It is a small world. I lived here my whole life. I like the area but the winters are a bit of a downer, 9 degrees for a high today

Can JP get the binding post from Brian or should he order one from PE? Would 1-1/2" posts be long enough?

Who knows, maybe this will lead to a career change as a VMPS dealer. Must be fun to be able to play with all of Brian's toys.

Brax

« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2010, 11:18 am »
This set of RM2s has the older B&G mid range Neo panels. Would a crossover change be required to upgrade these to the new panels? It looks like it would almost be a direct swap size wise.

John, what would the cost be for 4 new Neo panels?

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2010, 10:45 pm »
This set of RM2s has the older B&G mid range Neo panels. Would a crossover change be required to upgrade these to the new panels? It looks like it would almost be a direct swap size wise.

John, what would the cost be for 4 new Neo panels?

According to Brian The neo panel is about 1/8" wider than the old BG panels.  If he can rabbit out the mid cutout to fit the Neos he can use them with a crossover change, since their impedance is quite different.

If he has that capability then I can send you the pricing on the panels and the XO parts.

Brax

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2010, 11:40 pm »
John,

I am doing the work for him. I just replaced all the terminal posts on both speakers and gave them a once over. One PR has a couple of holes in the surround, I will recommend he install new PRs because those surrounds don't last long once they tear. It wouldn't be a problem for the rubber surrounds but the PRs need a very soft surround to work properly. Other than that, they are in good condition considering they have see a few moves. I just wanted to give the owner all the options for upgrades, while I had the speakers.

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:39 am »
John,

I am doing the work for him. I just replaced all the terminal posts on both speakers and gave them a once over. One PR has a couple of holes in the surround, I will recommend he install new PRs because those surrounds don't last long once they tear. It wouldn't be a problem for the rubber surrounds but the PRs need a very soft surround to work properly. Other than that, they are in good condition considering they have see a few moves. I just wanted to give the owner all the options for upgrades, while I had the speakers.

Yes and the PR's will not work properly unless the system is sealed.  New PR's are like $54 each and come with the new putty and are vitrified.  For a little over $100 plus shipping he can make a "MAJOR" improvement to the bass.

Brax

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2010, 02:56 pm »
I vitrified the PRs and returned the speakers to the owner. I suggested he replace them but he sounds like he is just going to sell the speakers. He would like to downsize his speakers because he lives in a small apartment.