Win7-how to get Slimserver to work when computer asleep

Thump553

Finally broke down and got a new computer, here's the setup:
Windows 7 Home 64 bit
classic Squeezebox3, firmware 130
slimserver 7.4.1
everything hooked up via wired ethernet (Squeezebox location in a black hole in our home network, got dropouts via wireless)
music library on an external hard drive (overflow part of it on C: drive with shortcut to it in the external hard drive music folder)
computer left on 24/7 but goes into sleep mode when inactive

-Here's my problem.  Ordinarily everything works fine, but I've noticed that I can't turn on my Squeezebox when the computer is asleep.  Looked at the computer the external hard drive light is off when the computer is asleep.  If I wake up the computer the external hard drive light comes on and the squeezebox then works fine.

How can I get my Squeezebox to wake up my computer?  I'd hate to lose the powersaving functions of the new sleep mode. 

kgturner

Re: Win7-how to get Slimserver to work when computer asleep
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2010, 11:21 pm »
maybe a third party plugin like "server power control". i use it to turn my computer on and off via my sb3 remote with this plugin. i'm pretty sure there are settings in there to wake as well.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48521

good luck. the creator/writer of the program is pretty receptive to questions if you get stuck.

kevin t

Thump553

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2010, 01:21 am »
Thanks, great find.

Was pretty intimidating at first-the thread you linked had 129 pages and nearly all the posts were written in pretty heavy tech speak but ulitimately the plug in and a related program (SCPowerTool) were very simple to install.  Now to see if it works for me.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2010, 01:58 am »
If I understand correctly, your Squeezebox remote turns on the Squeezebox, but you have no functionality because the computer (and it's external hard drive) is asleep?

While the recommended plug in and program may accomplish your goal, I wonder if simply going into your computer's BIOS and enabling "Wake on LAN" would accomplish the same thing without running an additional program?

Just a thought.

Steve

Thump553

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2010, 02:45 pm »
srb:  No, sorry I wasn't clearer.  When I press the remote "on" (red button) nothing happened at the Squeezebox at all-it remained totally black.  Interestingly enough, Squeezeserver is installed on the new computer so a faint display of date and time shows when the Squeezebox is off.  When the computer goes to sleep (or hibernates, I'm not sure which-it's a desktop) the Squeezebox display is totally blank.

I've only had a chance to test waking up the computer once via the Squeezebox since installing and configuring the add-in.  It said it was waking up the server, but when it attempted to connect it was looking for my old computer.  The old computer was completely off and the new (Win7 computer had not woken up).  I since removed Squeezeserver from the old computer completely and set my Squeezebox (again) to look to the new computer.  I'll try to BIOS settings tonight when I get home.

Thump553

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2010, 04:51 pm »
In case anyone else has a similar problem, the slimserver plugin linked above seems to have solved my problem.  Never did get around to changing the BIOS settings to see if that would work also.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2010, 06:21 pm »
This is great!  Thank you for posting this.

JEaton

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2010, 08:55 pm »
In case anyone else has a similar problem, the slimserver plugin linked above seems to have solved my problem.  Never did get around to changing the BIOS settings to see if that would work also.

Is it actually waking up the server or just never allowing it to sleep?  I believe there's another plugin that comes with the server software which doesn't allow Windows to sleep.

Thump553

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2010, 11:14 pm »
Looking at the slimserver display, it says (first) waking up server (then) connecting to server.  One little quirk-after it is connected to the server, you have to start (hit red button) on the slimserver remote in order to get the slimserver to scrolll, play, etc.

I greatly prefer this way over something that doesn't allow the server to sleep/hibernate, because of power savings.

JEaton

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2010, 11:24 pm »
Are you sure you didn't change anything on the server itself?  I know the players will attempt to wake the servers up using Wake-on-LAN (WOL), but WOL is a function of the server, not an application running on the server.

Thump553

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2010, 10:59 am »
The only thing I had changed on the server was adding in the plugin (and a related program it required).

Another update:  I disabled the plugin and then enabled the setting iin my computer's BIOS for "Onboard LAN Boot Rom."   I've successully woken up the server twice now from the Squeezebox, so that method works too.  I'll probably stay with that as it's simpiler.