Adding a Subwoofer???

chgolatin2

Adding a Subwoofer???
« on: 24 Jan 2010, 03:42 pm »
I have this following setup, MC4 with PSB B25 speakers.  The combo sounds very nice, however I'm lacking a lil bit of bass so I'm going to purchase this sub http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Compact-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B000P0528U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264347478&sr=8-3 now since I have the Roth Audio Music Cocoon MC4 I couldnt locate a sub out on this lil system so I'm  curious as to how can I add a sub to this two channel system?  :scratch: Any help will be greatly appreciated! 

mcgsxr

Re: Adding a Subwoofer???
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2010, 03:44 pm »
From the look of the connections avaiable on the sub, I would be running the speaker wires from amp to sub, then on to speakers.

This will allow you to trim out the bass from the 2 speakers, and let the sub do all the bass talking.

chgolatin2

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2010, 11:34 pm »
Thanks, do I need any special cables?

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2010, 02:31 am »
Well, if we briefly avoid audio nervosa - no.

Just regular speaker cables that will fit into the connectors on the back of the sub amp.

Back to the nervosa - some consider the Xover in the plate amp of a sub amp to be a poor Xover for your main signal to go through.  I have in the past, run a 2nd set of speaker cables from amp, to sub input.  That way the sub plays bass, but the mains run full range.

Your system, your call.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2010, 02:44 am »
I will also add that although the PSW111 seems to be a nice compact 8" subwoofer with attractive rounded corner cabinet, I am a little leery of the spring-loaded push-type speaker terminals compared to standard binding posts, as you would be routing your main speakers through two pairs of them.

Steve

Listens2tubes

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2010, 01:28 pm »
With the Polk's Frequency Response: 38Hz - 250Hz can we really consider this  sub-woofer. Your main PSB's have this Frequency Range
On Axis @ 0° ±1.5dB 59-20,000 Hz
On Axis @ 0° ±3dB 45-23,000 Hz
Off Axis @ 30° ±1.5dB 59-10,000 Hz
Lf Cutoff -10dB 40 Hz
Have you looked at any sub with a low freq range around 20Hz like the PSB sub?

turkey

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2010, 02:12 pm »
You might want to look at this sub:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=pd_cp_e_1

I didn't get mine at Amazon and I paid less, but even at $118 they're a good deal.

They're not powerhouses, and they don't go down to subterranean frequencies, but I would think one of them would match well with the rest of your system.

A single sub is kind of hard to integrate into most systems and most rooms, so this will allow you to try things out without spending a huge amount of money.

PartsExpress also has some inexpensive subs, but I think this one from Polk is better quality and will last longer than the ones from PE.

Also, a single small sub isn't going to really give you deep thunderous bass. What it can do though is take some of the load off of your PSB's, and that will improve your midbass and midrange.

chgolatin2

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2010, 05:35 am »
Thanks guys!  :eyebrows: I will look into PSB Subs, but on not a techie type of guy so....