System suggestions...

ROB968323

System suggestions...
« on: 23 Jan 2004, 02:19 pm »
Please can I get some help?  I'm looking to buy speakers and a new integrated amp.  I'm mostly going to use my new setup for movies and some music.  I want to keep it strictly to 2 channel.  The room is about 20X15.  The only problem is that the way I have my RPTV setup there is very limited room for floorstanding speakers unless they have a really small footprint.  I was leaning towards the 626R.  I do not need blow your head off volume or earth shaking bass.  I just want something that sounds extremely clear and detailed that sounds great with movie soundtracks.  Again...I don't need extreme sound levels.  I was wondering if the 626Rs could just be mounted on top of my RPTV or if that is a real no no.  Like I mentioned before space is at a real premium.  Also could anyone recommend a good amp for this setup?  I'd prefer to go integrated tube or integrated hybrid and my price range is about $1,500 for the amp.  Also, is there any issues with the 626R in a smoking environment?

Thanks,

Rob

Q

System suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2004, 08:12 pm »
If it is the right kind of smoke, any speaker will sound awesome!!!!

Make sure you have plenty of Pringles and peanuts on hand!!!
 :lol:  :roll:  :smoke:

RickRichardson

RPTV top is a no-no
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2004, 08:59 pm »
You do not want to put your monitors, 626R's or otherwise, on top of your RPTV.  The two main reasons are:  1.  you will not have them separated far enough apart to get a good stereo image, and 2.  you want to have the midrange/tweeter drivers at about ear level to get proper tone and detail.  

So putting them on top of you RPTV will only work if you are standing and really close to the set.  For normal seated position you will probably need about 24" speaker stands for the 626R's.  The footprint for these speakers is 10" wide by 13" deep.  I have a pair on either side of my HT system in a 14 X 24 room and they work very well.  Mine are part of a 7.1 HT system, but even just using them in stereo mode they work well.  
You might want to consider a pair of the new RM-30C's, which have a footprint of 9" wide X 19" deep, not including the base.  These have three ribbon midrange panels and better bass.  

I cannot comment on the amp, since my experience is only with multiple channel amps.

Woodsea

System suggestions...
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2004, 09:43 pm »
I second the rm30's.  You need them apart and the greater sweet spot works better for HT, esp if you share your smoke