Another Gem on STL Craigslist?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Another Gem on STL Craigslist?
« on: 24 Jan 2010, 03:24 am »
Some guy in Webster Groves has a Revolver TT with Linn Basik arm for a hundred bucks.  Helluva cheap way to get into decent vinyl..........

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/1567275202.html

Scott F.

Re: Another Gem on STL Craigslist?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2010, 02:39 pm »
I saw that last night and thought about getting it just for the arm.

Hey Bob, I got the 299 up and running. It looks like the rectifier tube shorted and took out the first dropping resistor. While I was under the hood, the anode resistors on the phase splitters were getting pretty crispy (literally) so I swapped those out too.

I plugged some fresh tubes in and brought it up on the variac and she's now making music  :thumb: I think I'm going to pick up some new output tubes and play with it for a while. I love these old integrateds. They sound great.  :green:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2010, 02:53 pm »
Scott, I'm glad it found a good home.  I am slowly completing the audio room.  The crown molding went up last night, so it won't be long before the massive LP cabinet comes up from the basement.  When the room is done I'll post the photos of the project.

Yeah, I considered it for the arm, but I have to find someone who can help me set up my ET II on my SOTA that hasn't been used for a number of years.  Any AC set-up types traveling down I-44 will earn themselves the best pie in Missouri from Slice of Pie.
 :thumb:

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2010, 04:14 pm »
Hey Bob,

I'm not sure how often you make it into the city but I'd be happy to help you set up your TT. I've got the Dr Feickert TT setup disk and several test records to dial in anti-skate. It doesn't take more than about 30 minutes or so to do it which means we could do it any evening you happen to be cruising through.

I'd like to commit that I could make it out to Rolla but my weekends are pretty much taken as we are doing some 'fixing up' around the house before the Zu In St Lou event the first of May. I can definitely squeeze enough time to set up your table though.

Lemme know.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2010, 06:20 pm »
You got a DEAL!!!  What kind of pie is your favorite?  You know this is an air-bearing tangential arm, don't you?

I'll throw in a Heathkit mono tube amp (kit, I think), with original manual and assembly instructions.

You da man!

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2010, 07:56 pm »
Hi Bob,

Shouldn't be an issue. Just be sure to bring the stylus reference gauge (if you don't have that, we can make due), your air pump, the counterweights and the silicone damping fluid. Setup on the ET will take a bit longer than the half hour I mentioned but shouldn't take too long. Are you going to take care of thoroughly cleaning it before you come by?

If you don't have a copy of the manual, let me know. I can email one to you.

As for the Heatkit, is it the WM5? If so, I've got the mating pre sitting on my shelf. We can put them together and let Blackmore have them for his mono/78 system  :thumb:

You got a DEAL!!!  What kind of pie is your favorite?  You know this is an air-bearing tangential arm, don't you?

I'll throw in a Heathkit mono tube amp (kit, I think), with original manual and assembly instructions.

You da man!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2010, 08:16 pm »
It is either a WM 4 or 5.  I'll check tonight at home.  Good shape except for one end of the cover.  Pretty bad, that.

I have all the gear for the ETII, but there is no damping system AFAIK

Blackmore

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2010, 08:58 pm »
Hey!
I'm not even sure what we're talking about, but I do like the idea of something for my mono/78 system.  Thanks!!!!!!!

sturgus

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2010, 09:47 pm »
This looks good too, but may be gone now.
Sturgus

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/1548207269.html

Scott F.

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2010, 10:43 pm »
Sturg, Nice catch on the 400. That would make a nice rig to base a system on.

Mark, remember I mentioned I had a Heathkit mono preamp that you could have that has all of the EQing over the years? The WM4 and 5 are the mate to that pre. The WM5 is a little KT66 PP mono amp (the WM4 is a PP 5881). Should be a great match for your EV corner cabinet  :thumb:

Bob, the damping fluid is nothing more than silicone. I'll email you the manual on installing the damping fluid for the arm. Its actually pretty simple. I'm not sure what viscosity (weight) the silicone needs to be but you can pick up the fluid at a hobby shop. Mike Galusha let me know that the hobby shops carry multiple weights of silicone oil that are used in RC car shock absorbers. They should have what you need if you can figure out what weight it is. I can turn you onto a couple of hobby shops here in town, I may even be able to make it by the one near my office during lunch providing they have it in stock. That should be cheaper than going to Eminent for the fluid. I'll do a search later this evening and see what I come up with.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2010, 11:41 pm »
For what it's worth, I've ordered R/C car shock fluid from "traxxas.com", but it's been many years. Good company though.

Bob