Best recordings for "Imaging"..

Artemis

Best recordings for "Imaging"..
« on: 24 Jan 2010, 01:02 am »
i'm on a quest to get more recordings that excell at "Imaging".Some recordings do this much better then others..Some examples are
Blood Sweat & tears-(Self titled)
Roger Waters-Amused to death
Maddona-Imaculate conception(Q sound)
Willie & loobo-Fandango nights
Steely Dan-kattie lied
These recordings like a lot in my collection give me the sense that I'm wearing headphones.I love recordings when they a super transparent and give you a great sense of the hall or studio.Whats your favorite

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Best recordings for "Imaging"..
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2010, 01:07 am »

I'll start you off with this, Laurie Anderson - Life On A String

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2010, 02:01 am »
Lyle Lovett's  "Joshua Judges Ruth", second cut "Church".  The individual singers spread out across the stage, and as they clap in rhythm each person stands out. 

kenreau

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2010, 02:09 am »
Joni Mitchell on the "Hits" compilation, singing "Woodstock"  Incredible, in the room like performance.

Another is Casandra Wilson on the "New Moon Daughter" singing "Strange Fruit".  Huge sound stage with Terrance Blanchard walking around with his horn and Chris Whitley on his national steel guitar sitting to the side.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2010, 02:21 am »
I was just cranking Zero 7, The Garden last night, and that's a nicely done album. I've also heard some nice stuff from Boards of Canada. There's a lot of electronic stuff that's really good as far as intricate, detailed soundstaging. Any good recording should make a good image though, and a lot depends on equipment and set up.

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2010, 04:01 am »
Cassandra Wilson: New Moon Daughter +1 :thumb:, Blue Light Till Dawn is another good one. Take some time and listen to all the tracks, both are very hard to walk away from. 8)

Tommy Emmanuel: Center Stage, A live recording of some GREAT finger picking guitar. :drool:

Enjoy

*Scotty*

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2010, 04:27 am »
Here a few of my favorites.
Acoustic Planet, Craig Chaquico
Spirit of the Forest, Arkenstone
Heart of the Forest-The music of the Baka Forest People of Southeast Cameroon
Down to the Moon>
White Winds>         Andreas Vollenweider
Caverna Magica>
Crime of the Century -Supertramp
Killer Bees-Airto Moreira and The Gods of Jazz
Dance of the Infidel -Meshell Ndegeocello 
Mino Cinelu-Mino Cinelu
The Cosmic Game The Theivery Corporation.
Pink Floyd
Inside Canyon de Chelly -Paul Horn and R. Carlos Nakai
Scotty

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2010, 05:49 am »
"Stereo imaging is the audio jargon term used for that aspect of sound recording and reproduction concerning spatial locations of the performers, both laterally and in depth. An image is 'good' if the performers can be effortlessly located; 'bad' if there is no hope of doing so. A well-made stereo recording, properly reproduced, can provide good imaging within the front quadrant; a well-made Ambisonic recording, properly reproduced, can offer good imaging all around the listener and even including height information.

For many listeners, good imaging adds markedly to the pleasure of reproduced music. One may speculate that this is due to the evolutionary importance to humans of knowing where sounds are coming from, and that imaging may therefore be more important than some purely esthetic considerations in satisfying the listener. Listeners do exist who have difficulty paying attention to the musical content of a recording if the imaging is not good."

Try....

Manu Katche...

Miles_Gurtu...

The Bad Plus...

Bruce Katz Band...

Eva Cassidy...

Sara K. ...

And as mentioned above...

Mino Cinelu...
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2010, 10:18 am by lonewolfny42 »

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2010, 12:31 pm »
Roger Waters: Pros and Cons of Hitchhicking.

Any Andreas Vollenweider

Supertramp - Brother, where you bound?

Any Depesche Mode

Wayner  :D

BobM

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2010, 05:47 pm »
Aside from several others already mentioned I can add:

David Benoit - most anything
Cat Stevens - most anything
Patricia Barber - most anything
James Taylor - Hourglass
Acoustic Alchemy - Arcanum
Lee Ritenour - Harlequin
Dave Gruisin - most anything
Earl Klugh - most anything
Al DiMeola - The Infinite Desire
Yellowjackets - most anything
Rick Braun - (the early stuff)
Fourplay - (the early stuff)

In a nutshell, jazz seems to pay more attention to soundstaging than rock, and smooth/soft jazz moreso that more upbeat or rockin' stuff. Simple folk music does this well too, maybe because there's less instruments to deal with for the most part. At shows it always seems that the presenters love to play simple stuff like guitar and voice. Hard to get that wrong spacially.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2010, 06:44 pm »
Reference Recordings Testament and Requim CD or  LP. Gladiator soundtrack. Dave Brubeck at Carnegie Hall. The Weavers at Carnegie hall. Chesky all but especially Johnny Frigo with bucky and John Pizzarelli. Super Bass if you can hear all three during busy play your system got it big time.

charles

charles

underdog64

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2010, 08:38 pm »
Zero 7-Simple Things and When It Falls are fantastic for imaging especially on a tube amplified system

Jack Johnson-Curious George Soundtrack (and probably his other albums)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2010, 09:19 pm »
A new referencce for me:   http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3957    No compressers, no equalizers, No Limiters, No huge mix desk...

thebearded1

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2010, 01:10 am »
van morrison moondance  WB LP
Rickie Lee Jones-pop pop ORG LP
ray brown-soular energy-(pure audiophile LP)
Ben Andrews (mapleshade cd)
Redwine trio- mapleshade cd
Nick Drake- Bryter Layter

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2010, 05:24 am »
Try Billy McLaughlin - Candleman. If you listen to it, you'll know why I said it.  :thumb:

Have fun,
Jerry

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:46 pm »
Mapleshade recordings are great for imaging--try Celebration by Brother Ah.
Chris H.

Artemis

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jan 2010, 04:10 am »
Maybe I should have worded it more like "holographic" imaging..I'm looking for the recording's that really make your speakers disapear..

Scottdazzle

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jan 2010, 03:01 pm »

One blues master, one guitar, one voice rendered in an amazingly real acoustic space.  Similar in sound, but not music, to Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions.

Top notch post-bop modern jazz live in Pierre Sprey's living room.  Close your eyes and you're there.

BobM

« Reply #18 on: 28 Jan 2010, 04:31 pm »
There is a huge difference in close-miked, multi channel recordings and simple crossed cartoid miked recordings like Mapleshade uses. For impact and dynamics I like the close miked stuff, but then you inevitably get the drumset spread across the soundstage. With the simple solution you get the room and players in actual space, but the impact and image are simple and natural. Certainly not something most casual listeners are used to. So they do make an impression on us audiophiles, but sound very different from most recordings you will be exposed to. And the performances on these simple recordings are not generally up to the standard of the bigger more expensively produced stuff. I said "not generally", not always though.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #19 on: 28 Jan 2010, 05:30 pm »
BobM,

I love music more than audio.  The imaging that matters to me is how closely the recording captures the performance of musicians playing in real time in real space.  Close-mic'd recordings are often impressive and exciting but the imaging is not real... it's created electronically to recreate someone's idea of imaging.  To my ears it's gimmicky -- sort of like costume jewelry or breast implants.  It looks/sounds good but it ain't real. 

Scott