Bryston BDA-1..............10 hours old..............

Mad Mr H

My Bryston BCD-1, and BDA-1 arrived the other day.

I already had a BP25 that had been waiting to see the light for the last month.

Bit wierd but PRIOR to even opening the BP25 box, I bought a BP26MM/MC & MPS2 that caught my eye on flea bay.........on route to me.

I was not looking for a BP26/MPS2 but culd not resist.......I have had three BP20's sold them to try other items and come back three times now! So I do like the BP25.

Anyway, BCD-1 & BDA-1 taken out of boxes, left 24hrs to adjust to room temp, and then very quickly put into my system..........

I was running a Lexicon MC12B v5 room eq pre amp, I have to say that for two ch the BP25 wins, I had never run a side by side of these as the lex was always in the cinema room. So that was a nice result for the Bryston.

MOST of my PMC BB5i time is spent as my TV speakers, This has been mentioned as overkill by one forum member but I think the point is missed, More of my time with girlfriend is spent with the TV on, so the sound is amazing and the system well used.

This also means you hear adverts very frequently so I was amazed when the BDA-1 connected via BP25 played much wider stereo image than I am used to, I really did not expect that. This is also using a "free" optical cable, I really ought to replace that!

This is a "FREE" issue TV box that gets its signal over the aerial (UK: BT Vision box)

What is really funny and I had to stop and think about is that this morning someone came to collect my old REL subs that I sold.

The guy was very much into his audio, So I played him my 2ch system. I apologised that the BCD/BDA-1 had only just arrived so i only had spdif cable and not AES/EBU link cable so the quality would no be as good as it could be.

After a couple of minutes my heart sank as he said "Yes, you are right, thats just terrible sound, How can you live with that?"

He then started to laugh, He got me !!! He went on to say that he would never leave the room and felt that when he got my old subs home he was only going to think of what he had heard.

I sometimes forget that this system is "petty good".

There is also an increase in depth to the sound as well as the increased seperation.

I was using a Logitech Transporter as DAC, That eemed to struggle at times with a very obvious miss time in HF harmonics, almost an echo at times, The Lexicon did much better but on rare occasion this issue was still heard with the Lex (Which I love by the way), So far the Bryston BDA-1 has been faultless, I have yet to watch a hi def film through it (2ch) maybe tonight?

So 10 hours into my new toy and I love every second of it, Cant wait to get my AES/EBU cable but that might need to wait as I have my eye on a Kimber KS2120 that the system deserves but I need to justify......

I missed my Levinson DAC, this new Bryston has made my system  :D

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Bryston BDA-1..............10 hours old..............
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2010, 08:37 pm »
Cool review. Thanks.

werd

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2010, 09:42 pm »
You are going to have to eat pie once you get that Bryston bp26. And don't expect anything less than a "i told you so" from me.

Gratz on the bda and bcd they sound great with the Bryston pre's.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2010, 10:50 pm »
Hi,

I knew that was coming.............

First im gonna fit the MPS2 to the BP25 - and post if I hear a change.......

Im open minded.

THEN and only then im gonna lift the lid on the MPS2.

The 26 is a 25 in a new case so I hope no change between the 25/26 - Only the MPS2 might  :scratch: change things......

werd

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2010, 11:47 pm »
Hi,

I knew that was coming.............

First im gonna fit the MPS2 to the BP25 - and post if I hear a change.......

Im open minded.

THEN and only then im gonna lift the lid on the MPS2.

The 26 is a 25 in a new case so I hope no change between the 25/26 - Only the MPS2 might  :scratch: change things......

The mps2 might not fit your bp25. It is a good way to listen to the upgrade from a to b.

vegasdave

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2010, 01:43 am »

Are you sure about that? I thought there were some internal changes.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2010, 09:02 pm »
I was of the understandig that changes were cosmetic.

But today I could not get the BR2 remote to run the 25 with the 26 codes - So that appears to be one change, But not of audio change.

I can tell you soon  :D

vegasdave

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2010, 01:17 am »
I'm almost positive James said there's some internal changes.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2010, 08:28 am »
I'm almost positive

The GF thinks its a definite maybe as well  :lol:

gtaphile

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2010, 03:13 am »
From my recollection the 20 and 25 are similar with the exception of the motor driven volume and the 26 is a new design altogether.

I was of the understandig that changes were cosmetic.

But today I could not get the BR2 remote to run the 25 with the 26 codes - So that appears to be one change, But not of audio change.

I can tell you soon  :D

vegasdave

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2010, 03:15 am »
That's what I thought as well.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2010, 05:42 pm »
I agree the 50 to 25 has the addition of the IR eye and remote control, with that comes the motoerised volume co, ntrol.

The BP-PSR power supply was also changed to an MPS-1 at one point in the 20/25 range. There may also have been another PSU during the time of the 20/25.

The BP26 has the newest MPS-2 power supply, designed to run additional items (10B-EPS external power supply, phono stage)

The BP26 has the "C" series front panel, as does the MPS-2.

From a BP20/25/26 review in 2005

"The newest and just released iteration of the BP-20 series is the BP-26,
which Bryston’s James Tanner assures me, differs significantly from the BP-25 only in terms of
power supply."

If you look at the front panel layout of the 25 & 26 everything sits in the same place (MY opinion).

It would be nice if I was wrong and the 26 was a total new design, but I currently dont think that is he case. Of course to match the rest of the C series and get the newest PSU then the 26 is the way to go, I only bought the 26 as it came up at what I consider to be an amazing price and had MM/MC option fitted as a bonus!

Dave , get the pie ready if I am wrong  :eyebrows:

vegasdave

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2010, 08:26 pm »
No problem! Haha. I'm just waiting for James to chime in. Or we could ask him via email or pm him here.

gerald porzio

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2010, 09:54 pm »
Offer vanity faceplates. Vegas would seem a great place to launch these. This shouldn't be put on the back burner til next year's CES. By then, there will be too much pent up demand in the foreign & domestic mkts.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2010, 10:04 pm »
Hi Folks,

Yes the high level section (sans power supply) of the BP26 has changed very little from the BP25.  The main difference is a slightly different internal grounding scheme.  So the BP25 with an MPS-2 power supply should come very close to a BP26/MPS-2 package sonically.

I guess on the preamp side we could be accused of not enough changes aye :D

james

mr_bill

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2010, 10:31 pm »
James,
How much is the MPS 2 power supply for a BP25?
How much is the remote control for the BP25?
Is their a remote with the new Bryston BDA 1 Dac that controls the volume on the BP 25?
Thanks.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2010, 10:52 pm »
Hi,

(Not James but think I can help......)

If you have a BP25 it should come with the remote.

The BP20 did not have remote control and is not possible to add.

The BR2 remote that comes with the BCD-1 (Or as an extra) controls the BP26 and BP25.

I think the BDA-1 (DAC) can be ordered with BR2 remote.

MY BP25 is a very old one and the BR2 does not (yet) control it, I am waiting for Bryston Technical to help with that.

Im in the UK, But I think the USA MPS2 is about $1400 RRP.

Hope that helps,

Andy.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2010, 10:58 pm »
Hi,

(Not James but think I can help......)

If you have a BP25 it should come with the remote.

The BP20 did not have remote control and is not possible to add.

The BR2 remote that comes with the BCD-1 (Or as an extra) controls the BP26 and BP25.

I think the BDA-1 (DAC) can be ordered with BR2 remote.

MY BP25 is a very old one and the BR2 does not (yet) control it, I am waiting for Bryston Technical to help with that.

Im in the UK, But I think the USA MPS2 is about $1400 RRP.

Hope that helps,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Correct on all counts except $1495 US on the MPS-2.  Also if you use the MPS 2 with a BP25 you need a special power cable from the MPS-2 to the BP25.

james

werd

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2010, 11:08 pm »
Hi Folks,

Yes the high level section (sans power supply) of the BP26 has changed very little from the BP25.  The main difference is a slightly different internal grounding scheme.  So the BP25 with an MPS-2 power supply should come very close to a BP26/MPS-2 package sonically.

I guess on the preamp side we could be accused of not enough changes aye :D

james

the bp26 has the midpoint felt on the balance control, where the bp25 doesnt. You have to ear it or visual it.
I like that on the bp26.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2010, 11:46 pm »
My BP25 has the indent on the Balance Control,

I just checked it.