most important concert

adol290

Re: most important concert
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jan 2010, 12:51 am »

Elton John Sept 19/2008 MTS Centre

Row 3 on the floor. He was right in front of me.

On the last 2 songs before the encore the first three rows on the floor(me and my wife) were allowed to go right up to the stage and even take pictures.

When he came back for the encore he went walked along the whole stage, signing autographs for all the people there. He then did the encore, and we were still allowed to stay at the stage.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 23 Jan 2010, 12:54 am »
Elton John Sept 19/2008 MTS Centre

Row 3 on the floor. He was right in front of me.

On the last 2 songs before the encore the first three rows on the floor(me and my wife) were allowed to go right up to the stage and even take pictures.

When he came back for the encore he went walked along the whole stage, signing autographs for all the people there. He then did the encore, and we were still allowed to stay at the stage.

Post a picture.

james

adol290

« Reply #22 on: 23 Jan 2010, 01:17 am »

The sad part is that I only had a crappy 1mp cell phone.

The pictures were all blurry.   :oops:

YoungDave

« Reply #23 on: 23 Jan 2010, 02:39 am »
New Riders of the Purple Sage
Hot Tuna w/Papa John Creech (headlining)
Waterbury CT Palace Theater, 1974

Changed my life!

wrathchild

• Bryston Ballistics
« Reply #24 on: 23 Jan 2010, 02:53 am »
Metallica.. Master of Puppets - small venue, very loud, got to meet the band             backstage and autographed LP cover..Awesome

Iron Maiden x3, Particularly the last 'Somewhere Back in Time' tour as they hadn't toured in 10 yrs. The Coliseum was packed and the ambiance incredible.

Garth Brooks.. great seats 1st row sidestage, and he rocked the place.

martyc

« Reply #25 on: 23 Jan 2010, 04:00 am »
growing up in cleveland ohio i got to see all the great bands.ive got most of the ticket stubs stored in a box some where in my closet . as i sit here drinking my beer the ones that come to mind would be rolling stones steel wheels tour i think 88/89 .my roomate camped out at ticket office . told me when he got there the line was like forever. he met some cool people did some acid and by morning when ticket office opened he was about 10th in line. long story short when i got up the next morning and went to the kitchen on the table were 2nd row center stage tickets and the show was amazing . other shows the who 81/82, stones 81, zztop at music hall a small venue for there cheap sunglasses tour, wow. after that tour they were doing stadium tours. world series of rock show in 1979 i think was acdc,scorpions ,aerosmith,ted nugent,thin lizzy, journey. all day show at cleveland stadium .10.50 cents.i have the ticket stub. acdc played let there be rock album .after this tour they headlined there own shows .. saw foghat,robin trower, blue oyster cult.. any body ever see j.geils band ...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #26 on: 23 Jan 2010, 04:03 am »
Summer of 69. Laurel "Pop" Festival right outside of DC.

Jethro Tull
Led Zeppelin
Edgar Winter
Edwin Hawkins Singers.
Steve Miller (I think), all in one night.

Standing at the snow fence (those were the days!), maybe 30 ft from the stage.

Second place? 
Chicago Concert, 1970 @ Baltimore Civic Center.  I had the cheapest tickets, wore a coat and tie, short hair, and carried two cameras.  Got there as the doors opened and asked the guard if I could go down to the stage to take light meter readings, and he said "sure!"
I stayed at the edge of the stage all night long, and when I went to a my GRADE SCHOOL reunion two months ago, some woman remembered that she bought some of the photographs from me and still has 'em.

I must not have changed a BIT in all these years.

droht

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jan 2010, 04:36 am »
Mid to late 90s I talked my wife into going to the Jam on the River music festival (or some such name) in Philadelphia.  I wanted to see Cracker, the headliners that day.  Yeah, I know.  There was an opening act, I think, whom I don't remember, then Gov't Mule, who is pretty cool in concert.  Then some Bluesman named Buddy Guy whom I had heard of but didn't know much about.  Buddy took the stage and just tore a hole in my musical universe.  I was a big fan of SRV and Hendrix.  This cat sounded like the missing third part of that triumvirate.  I'd only find out later that he had much to do with both of their careers and sounds.

We sat there in pretty much stunned silence, not really believing what we were hearing.  Cracker eventually took the stage.  We left half way through their set.  I can't describe how bad they sounded after listening to Buddy bend strings and whisper soulful lyrics for an hour. 

We became regulars at Buddy's club in Chicago for his live January shows for quite a few years, where you can sit front row center 3 ft away from the man if you are willing to brave the harsh weather in line on the street for 6 or 7 hours.  Buddy always plays snippets of stuff from Hendrix, Stevie, Muddy, etc, but my highlights out of 20+ concerts were full length versions of Red House and Voodoo Child.

martyc

« Reply #28 on: 23 Jan 2010, 04:48 am »
thunderbrick, i get chills just thinking about that show (laurel pop).. it made me remember that i saw steve miller at the summit, in houston texas when i was visiting my uncle.. i was around 15 ,,it was the fly like an eagle tour..... i was going to the led zeppelin show ,i think it was 1979/1980, but bonham died and they cancelled the tour....

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #29 on: 23 Jan 2010, 09:00 am »
Where? :drool:

hi, Predrag!

sorry for answering late.

Lynyrd Skynyrd are in Europe from february 22nd till march 10th. including Norway, Germany, England, Ireland. for further information just check out their official website.

al.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #30 on: 23 Jan 2010, 09:07 am »
Don't remember the dates nor the place.  But then I can't remember where I parked the car most days either. :)

Moody Blues
The Doors
Janis Joplin

wow! The Doors and Janis Joplin. cool.

al.

Jeff Ward

« Reply #31 on: 23 Jan 2010, 10:55 pm »
"Most important" is a pretty broad net. That, for me at least, has as much to do with where your head was at at the time as it does the performer/performance. Top of the list for me would probably be Pink Floyd's The Wall concert at the LA Sports arena in 1980, both because of my state of mind and the impressive sound and staging. A decade or so later, Neil Young and Crazy Horse in the same venue (one of the dates on the Weld album) was pretty damn awesome as well.

Watching Buddy Guy at the King Biscuit Blues festival in Helena Arkansas was fun, but not nearly as mind blowing as those. In the blues category, most of my favorite moments were small club dates with folks like Gatemouth Brown, Sue Foley, Debbie Davies, etc. Most of those I was a few feet away taking pictures with an SLR, not a cell phone-- and sometimes getting paid as well.

Within the last five or so years, I'd say PJ Harvey at First Avenue in Minneapolis was pretty fine, as was Patti Smith at the State Theater. As a parting shot for my time in Minnesota, I really enjoyed the Prairie Home Companion show in St Paul with the Derailers.  "Important" is slippery, I would just mostly file these shows under "fun" instead of life or mind altering.

Oh, and I almost forgot-- Tom Waits in Tulsa last year-- a song or two ended up on his latest album. Oh, and one I forgot to mention in the blues concerts was the Fabulous Thunderbirds with Duke Robillard in Bakersfield, California at the fairgrounds. They had to step up at the last minute because SRV and Double Trouble cancelled when SRV died. Jimmy and Duke made for a great wake for that horrible loss.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #32 on: 24 Jan 2010, 01:49 am »
There's so many, I can't just pick one. lol.

4WR

« Reply #33 on: 25 Jan 2010, 04:42 pm »
June 25, 1975 @  Massey Hall in Toronto.
Rush, with Max Webster opening.
Started it all for me.

Take Care     

arthurs

« Reply #34 on: 25 Jan 2010, 04:51 pm »
Genesis
The Lamb Lies Down Tour (original lineup with Gabriel and Hackett)
1974 (I am pretty sure, could have been 75 though) - consecutive nights at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago

Raised the bar on what I thought was possible in a concert 

ken

« Reply #35 on: 25 Jan 2010, 05:05 pm »
It was probably my first one:  Yes at MSG in "79"  Going to see BB King and Buddy Guy at the United Palace Theater on Feb 12th  can't wait for that one :drool:

95Dyna

« Reply #36 on: 25 Jan 2010, 05:09 pm »
James, you lucky dog.  Miles Davis in a small venue is too much to imagine.

The Allman Brothers Band:  February 1971 at Penn State University one month prior to the famous Filmore concerts (with Duane Allman and Berry Oakley).  May of 1999 at the Tower Theatre in Philadelphia.

The Cleveland Orchestra and Chorus at Hershey Theatre March 1993 featuring Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

Yo Yo Ma (solo) 1996 Founders Hall of the Milton S. Hershey School.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #37 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:11 am »
Sadly none, I never really got out all that much back then...

:bawl:

Hmmm... come to think about it, I still don't :duh:

95Dyna

« Reply #38 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:24 am »
Sadly none, I never really got out all that much back then...

Hmmm... come to think about it, I still don't :duh:

I think I'll call my local oldies station an request Gershwin's "Don't Get Out Much Anymore".  Dedicated, of course, to our socially challenged buddy, Laundrew :thumb:.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #39 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:33 am »
I think I'll call my local oldies station an request Gershwin's "Don't Get Out Much Anymore".  Dedicated, of course, to our socially challenged buddy, Laundrew :thumb:.

I would stand up and take a bow, alas I have grown weary of hitting my head on the bottom of the basement steps :oops:

:wink: