Who can figure this one out?

droht

Who can figure this one out?
« on: 20 Jan 2010, 03:09 pm »
In my office I have a PC which is my source for music.  I run USB out for music, from the back panel of the PC.  I have a printer connected to the PC via USB port on front panel.  I also have a laptop.  Occasionally I move the printer over to the laptop. 

So I'm listening to music and working on the laptop.  I move the USB cable from PC to laptop to print something.  I get immediate screeching and static through my speakers.  I unplug the USB and it goes away.  If I just touch the USB connector to the port I get the same noise.

This only happens when the laptop is plugged in.  Running off battery I get no sound whatsoever when inserting the USB cable.  The laptop is plugged in to a different outlet than the amp.  Tried it with and without a Belkin SurgeMaster - no difference.  Amp is a Decco integrated.  It is the new part of the system.  I've had many other pieces in it's place and never had the issue.

Very strange.  Not really something I need to solve, but more of a curiosity at this point.  Any ideas?  Should I be concerned about the Decco?  (it sounds great otherwise)

turkey

Re: Who can figure this one out?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2010, 04:02 pm »
Sounds like it may be a ground loop of some sort.

Can you try plugging the laptop into the same outlet as the PC and see if that eliminates the problem?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2010, 04:16 pm »
Buy a nice wireless laser printer for + or - $100. It'll disqualify you from edifying cable discussions but everything else is positive. I have a Brother 2170W that is never a problem.

droht

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2010, 04:24 pm »
Buy a nice wireless laser printer for + or - $100. It'll disqualify you from edifying cable discussions but everything else is positive. I have a Brother 2170W that is never a problem.

I can network my current printer, just need to figure out how through security on company laptop.  But like I said, the issue is not serious, more of a curiosity.

I've heard of ground loops issues; never experienced one I supppose.  This just seems odd as it is not an issue until USB connection is made.  Just having the laptop plugged in is fine. 

turkey

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2010, 02:06 pm »
I can network my current printer, just need to figure out how through security on company laptop.  But like I said, the issue is not serious, more of a curiosity.

I've heard of ground loops issues; never experienced one I supppose.  This just seems odd as it is not an issue until USB connection is made.  Just having the laptop plugged in is fine.

The ground loop is possibly being made when you connect the USB cable with its shield that links the grounds of the printer and laptop - which are plugged into different AC outlets if I'm reading things correctly.

lcrim

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2010, 11:39 am »
Do you have enough authorization to share the printer as connected to the desktop PC?  How is the laptop connected to this network?  Is this network at home or at work?