Peachtree Audio Nova

Danny Richie

Peachtree Audio Nova
« on: 19 Jan 2010, 08:36 pm »
I wanted to see if the AC members here had any interest in this unit.

http://signalpathint.com/index.php/Nova/Introducing-Nova.html

I demo-ed one of them about a month and a half ago and was really impressed with it. It is really outstanding for what it sells for. And I know that it would be a good consideration for anyone wanting to put together a high end system on a budget.

I am still on the fence about becoming a dealer for them and stocking them. I think my customers would appreciate them but am unsure as to just how many of them I can move for them.

I can't discount them in any way, but could bundle them with GR Research kits and discount our kits to make a sweet package deal.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mike Nomad

Re: Peachtree Audio Nova
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:56 pm »
I've owned one for a couple of months. I absolutely love it. It is exactly what I need: a two-channel integrated with an outstanding DAC. The Nova has a wonderful combination of analog & digital inputs, pre-outs, and being able to take the tube in & out of the pre-amp path with the push of a button on the remote is great.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2010, 11:05 am »
I definitely would have bought one if I'd known I'd still be waiting for my amp to be built. This is half the price and has way more features.

The perfect one box solution for anyone that only needs 2 channel IMO.

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2010, 01:37 pm »
I have been wanting to demo one of these units, I am particularly interested in how the DAC would stand up against my MHDT Havana.

I have also been looking at the Decco2, it appears to be basically the same unit with less power and fewer digital inputs, although I haven't been able to verify that.  If anyone is clear on the differences between the Decco2 and the Nova I would appreciate clarification.

Danny, what speakers did you hear the Nova with.  If it was the V-1 or Super V what did you think of the pairing?  Was there too much gain to make the volume control useful?

Best,
Ed

pjchappy

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2010, 01:54 pm »
Just want to chime in to say I love my Nova!   :thumb:

Paul

Mike Nomad

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2010, 02:16 pm »
I have been wanting to demo one of these units, I am particularly interested in how the DAC would stand up against my MHDT Havana.

I have also been looking at the Decco2, it appears to be basically the same unit with less power and fewer digital inputs, although I haven't been able to verify that.  If anyone is clear on the differences between the Decco2 and the Nova I would appreciate clarification.

Danny, what speakers did you hear the Nova with.  If it was the V-1 or Super V what did you think of the pairing?  Was there too much gain to make the volume control useful?

Best,
Ed

With the Decco, you are giving up (1) each: Analog In, S/PDIF, Optical In. On the amp side, you are going from 80 to 40 a channel. Line/Pre-Outs, Pre-amp & Headphone bits are the same across both units.

The _possible_ upside on going to the Decco might be the DAC. They both use the same chip, but I think the Decco has an additional jitter reduction circuit (or something) in the signal path.

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2010, 02:33 pm »
With the Decco, you are giving up (1) each: Analog In, S/PDIF, Optical In. On the amp side, you are going from 80 to 40 a channel. Line/Pre-Outs, Pre-amp & Headphone bits are the same across both units.

The _possible_ upside on going to the Decco might be the DAC. They both use the same chip, but I think the Decco has an additional jitter reduction circuit (or something) in the signal path.
Thanks for the info Mike.  I also just found this:

The iDecco and Decco 2 are available now. The DAC and preamp in the Decco 2 and iDecco are exactly the same as the Nova. They both have about half the inputs and about 1/2 the power of the Nova.

David Solomon
Peachtree Audio

Best,
Ed

Sorry Danny, it appears we have gotten a bit OT. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2010, 03:21 pm »
That's okay. Discussion of the product is completely welcome.

And I did play it with the Super-V's, and I couldn't believe just how good it sounded.

ebag4

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2010, 03:34 pm »
That's okay. Discussion of the product is completely welcome.

And I did play it with the Super-V's, and I couldn't believe just how good it sounded.

Were you using the Nova's DAC fed by your MAC?  (didn't intend to sound like Dr. Suess :wink:)
Did you feel like there was too little volume adjustment with the 97dB speakers?

Thanks,
Ed

Mike Nomad

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2010, 03:35 pm »
While jabbering on about the feature set, I never really said anything about context or sound quality. My Nova replaced a Parasound 2-channel amp & Channel Islands passive pre-amp.

Not that there was anything wrong with the setup. There were a number of considerations behind the need to Move To Something Else.

The Nova gives me better depth, soundstage, and clarity. Bass is better defined, and there is an overall better sense of... sonic cohesiveness. Being able to selectively take the edge off of dicey recordings with the tube stage is a huge plus I had not anticipated. That feature will really grow on you.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2010, 03:39 pm »
Yep, I was feeding the fiber optic out from my Mac Mini.

The high sensitivity speakers were no problem. There is nothing like having plenty of head room. There was also RCA outs controlled by the internal pre-amp (pre-amp outs) that allowed for easy RCA connections to the powered subs.

face

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2010, 04:16 pm »
I have a Nova paired up with a pair of large Tannoys and it sounds fantastic.  I wouldn't attempt to drive anything with low impedances though.

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2010, 04:31 pm »
Fortunately, I design all of my kits to be fairly easy impedance loads to drive.

andrewinsb

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2010, 05:20 pm »
Hello all,

I recently purchased, but have not yet received, my Peachtree Nova.  I'll be using the Wadia 170i to listen to ALAC files through my iPod, as well as using my CD player (Marantz CD5001) and a digital tuner (Sony XDRF1HD).  I may one day patch directly to the computer, but not at the moment.

I listen to a wide variety of music and the space is a living room/dining room combination, with hardwood floors and 2 large rugs, in a 17' X 35' space.

I'm considering pairing the Nova with the SongTower QWTs -- is anyone using this combination?  Any thoughts on this match?

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

roscoeiii

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2010, 08:40 pm »
I like all the things I hear about the Peachtree, and since I'm not in need of amplification or a preamp, I look forward to their standalone DAC (coming in a few months according to Peachtree rep I talked to regarding the Decco2/Nova differences).

srb

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jan 2010, 08:45 pm »
I like all the things I hear about the Peachtree, and since I'm not in need of amplification or a preamp, I look forward to their standalone DAC (coming in a few months according to Peachtree rep I talked to regarding the Decco2/Nova differences).

Did the rep mention if the standalone DAC will use a higher performance ESS chip like the 9018 versus the 9006 in the Decco2/iDecco/Nova?

Steve

genjamon

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:38 pm »
I've had a Nova since August, replacing the economical KingRex preamp and testing against my Channel Islands VDA-2 DAC and RWA 30.2 and Wyred SX-500 monoblocks on the amp side. 

I needed more power than the 30.2 could provide for my Tyler Acoustics speakers.  The Nova amp was a great improvement in its ability to handle those drivers.  However, the amp wasn't in the same league as the Wyred mono's. 

I also still prefer the Channel Islands DAC to the Nova DAC.  Nova has more air and space, but less overall resolution and "texture" to instruments.  I made this full realization playing Barfly and Three More Days (tracks 3 & 4) of Ray Lamontagne's Till the Sun Turns Black album.  The guitar, tom toms and bass drums just had much fuller textures to them with the CI DAC.  I think a little better PRAT, or musicality, or wholeness, or whatever the right term is for that rhythm stuff that involves you and taps your feet.

I'm currently using the Nova as preamp/selection and DAC for movies from my DVD player, CI DAC for critical listening from my computer source rig to one of the Aux inputs on the Nova.

Just thought I'd give a little perspective compared to some other units.  I agree the Nova is good for the money if you use many of its capacities.  Since I'm really only using it for preamp duties, I'm kind of shopping around.  It's good as a preamp, and very nice in terms of convenience of switching, tube on/off, volume control, aesthetics, etc., but I'm looking toward one of the new high quality DAC's and a really good quality preamp separate to go to the next level.  Maybe a battery powered Dodd buffer preamp and a Tranquility.  What do you guys think?

If I do move up, I don't think I'll sell the Nova unless absolutely financially necessary.  It will make a great second system/room all in one device.

Just my two cents,
Ben

roscoeiii

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:42 pm »
Not able to get any details out of the rep. Though I did mention how nice a iPod dock with digital output like on the iDecco would be on their standalone DAC...

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jan 2010, 10:21 pm »
Maybe a battery powered Dodd buffer preamp and a Tranquility.  What do you guys think?

I think some of those products (which I did have for comparison) was at another level. But those are over achieving giant killers too. However, they are also at higher price points. The Nova got so close to the upper level stuff for so little, that it really sparked my interest.

genjamon

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jan 2010, 10:26 pm »
It does a lot of good to read around and scout out equipment people view as great value for money.  Having done a lot of that to get where I am, it seems that sometimes you do need to pay more to get more performance.  I'm ready for some of that in order to go to the next level, but it's always stressful wondering if I'll mess too much with system synergy, upset the apple cart so to speak.