Any good bacon recommendations?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Any good bacon recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jan 2010, 01:52 pm »
Applegate (and others) make Turkey bacon.

We buy the uncured stuff...it's quite tasty (and possibly better for you)

It smells a lot like pork bacon...much of the allure is still there, George :thumb:

John

In the name of Love, Life, and all that is sacred, please...just say no to the abomination called "turkey bacon."

ctviggen

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jan 2010, 01:52 pm »
You can pretty much eat anything by applying moderation and commonsense, so I am not too concerned.

Let's keep the thread on target please.

Thanks,

George

Personally, I think you can eat all the bacon you want to eat, with no harm whatsoever. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jan 2010, 01:57 pm »
In the name of Love, Life, and all that is sacred, please...just say no to the abomination called "turkey bacon."

I'm with you Rob.

While it might exist, I have yet to consume any turkey bacon that I wanted to eat again.

George

TheChairGuy

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jan 2010, 02:36 pm »

:lol:  :thumb:

I'm not sure I've convinced myself over the years that Turkey Bacon is as good as regular old (pork) bacon or if I genuinely enjoy it as much. I rather rarely eat much of either, tho.

As for genuine bacon, I prefer the Canadian slab stuff to be more pleasing to the pallet than the more typical American strip type.

John

ctviggen

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jan 2010, 02:51 pm »
A lot of the places we're discussing also sell Canadian slab type bacon.  No nitrites/nitrates, too.

MaxCast

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jan 2010, 03:19 pm »
I've had Nueske's before and it was good.  I really like another WI meat market, Helds
http://heldsmarket.com/
I see they don't sell bacon on line, maybe a call.  Thick and smoked  :thumb:

Has anyone tried bacon in the oven?  We did it for the first time over the Holidays and it turned out great.  It was not as messy and left room on the stove for eggs and whatnot.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #26 on: 19 Jan 2010, 03:20 pm »
If your in NYC. Empire Meat Market in college point smokes their own organic bacon. The get their meat from a small organic farm in Canada. Why Canada, because it is truley organic.
  The taste is beyond comparison IMO. If you like Pork this is where to go in NY.

charles

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #27 on: 19 Jan 2010, 03:24 pm »
I've had Nueske's before and it was good.  I really like another WI meat market, Helds
http://heldsmarket.com/
I see they don't sell bacon on line, maybe a call.  Thick and smoked  :thumb:

Has anyone tried bacon in the oven?  We did it for the first time over the Holidays and it turned out great.  It was not as messy and left room on the stove for eggs and whatnot.

I have been doing my bacon in the oven for years. 1 3/4 lb fills up my 2 cookie sheets perfectly, 365 degrees till perfection. My kids like it not so done, I like it more done. Less mess and EZ clean up! The only way I do my bacon.  :drool:

ctviggen

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jan 2010, 03:31 pm »
I usually cook mine at 400.  I start in a cold oven, put the bacon in, then turn to 400.  I line the top of a cookie sheet with heavy duty Al foil, then put a cooling/baking rack on top of the foil.  I put the bacon on top of the rack.  I save the drippings and put in the fridge.  It takes around 20 minutes or so to cook this way.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #29 on: 19 Jan 2010, 03:46 pm »
Next time for oven cooking try lining the baking sheet with a few layers of paper towels, then place Bacon on top and cook at 425. No grease and crispy. No the paper will not burn or catch on fire. many caterers use this method.
   if ya like the fat then in a cast iron pan over med low. worth a try.

charles

wje

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:18 pm »
For those who live in/around Buck's County Pennsylvania, this place has excellent meats.

http://www.illgsmeats.com/

While I live about 200 miles away, my mother-in-law lives close enough to them to pick up a few goodies from time-to-time to pack up for her trips to our house.

rahimlee54

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:24 pm »
When I a was up in Baltimore last year, my friends dad made some Duck Bacon.  Duck Bacon is GOOD!  Very rich, you will not be needing a lot of it.  I dont know if I prefer it to Center cut pork, but for something different give duck bacon a try.

turkey

« Reply #32 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:47 pm »

Also, has anybody tried the bacon of the month clubs?

While the bacon looks yummy, it is also quite pricey for a membership ($200-300 for a 6 month membership which only gets you one 16oz package per month).

I was just looking at the one from the Grateful Palate. It's kind of appealing. I think I'd rather have a lb. every other month though.

turkey

« Reply #33 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:51 pm »
I'm not sure I've convinced myself over the years that Turkey Bacon is as good as regular old (pork) bacon or if I genuinely enjoy it as much. I rather rarely eat much of either, tho.

Last summer I made club sandwiches on my new panini grill, and I used turkey bacon that I cooked in the microwave. (I wanted to try it and see what it was like.)

The turkey bacon wasn't as good as real bacon if you just ate it plain, but it worked quite well in the sandwiches.

some young guy

« Reply #34 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:42 pm »
On another note: bacon doesn't HAVE to be sliced and crisped. I buy it in slab form whenever possible, so I can do other things with it. After many years in French kitchens, I love lardons of bacon. I use them for salads, soups, beans etc. One of my favorite lunches in the classic warm frisee salad with roasted garlic, chevre (fresh goat cheese) bacon lardon and red wine vinaigrette.

werd

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jan 2010, 10:38 pm »
Use to cook my bacon on a George foreman grill... really nice for bacon but it became to much of  a chore to clean. ditched it. But it worked really nice for getting bacon the way you like, crisp or regular.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #36 on: 19 Jan 2010, 11:22 pm »
The other day I came home to the most wonderful scent...my wife was cooking bacon in the oven..bacon that had been basted with maple-syrup and seedy mustard.

I almost cried.  :drool:

jermmd

« Reply #37 on: 19 Jan 2010, 11:28 pm »
George,

Costco has a premium maple flavored Kirkland thick cut bacon which is the best we've had. It's usually not with the orher bacons in the dairy fridge and it's often not available. This is not the standard Kirkland bacon that's always available. Ask your wife about it. My family loves it.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 19 Jan 2010, 11:47 pm »
George,

Costco has a premium maple flavored Kirkland thick cut bacon which is the best we've had. It's usually not with the orher bacons in the dairy fridge and it's often not available. This is not the standard Kirkland bacon that's always available. Ask your wife about it. My family loves it.

Will ask my wife Joe, but I don't believe her store carries it.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 19 Jan 2010, 11:49 pm »
Keep those recommendations coming.   :thumb:

Lots of great choices and options.

I will pick one or two selections and place an order this week.

George