Headphone specs for use with Icon

ndurantz

Headphone specs for use with Icon
« on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:20 pm »
Once again, tried to search but came up empty. Looking for some specs regarding headphones to use with the Icon. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to headphones. I looked at these (http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=78) but was told that the Icon didn't have sufficient power to run them. What exactly am I looking for (spec-wise) to maximize my headphone listening with the Icon? Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!!

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
Re: Headphone specs for use with Icon
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2010, 03:35 am »
I don't see why any of the Nuforce product will have problem driving these - they are 25-ohm input impedance.  All Nuforce device can drive headphone from 12 up to 300 Ohm.

ndurantz

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2010, 07:48 pm »
I may be wrong, but I think the concern is over the amperage? There is a loooong discussion of it over at Head-Fi (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f87/hifiman-he-5-orthodynamic-headphones-449090/) but I didn't find any reference to the Icon? Keep in mind that I did upgrade to the higher wattage power supply. Let me know what you think and thanks for the quick reply?

saisunil

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2010, 08:05 pm »
no offense to the portable amp ... the problem is that the He5 headphones are very demanding ... they need serious home amp with gobs of power to shine through ...

I have Xin-Ref portable amp - can they drive the He-5s? Yes, but the HE-5s start singing only with a high powered home headphone amp like their EF5 home amp ...

Cheers

ndurantz

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2010, 08:27 pm »
So it is the amperage, then? Ok. Thanks for that info. I am open to suggestions for some nice headphones that can be driven by the Icon (not mobile) if anyone has any. Thanks!