SongTowers and equivilant speakers thread

ralfale

SongTowers and equivilant speakers thread
« on: 18 Jan 2010, 09:48 am »
Hi guys

I am thinking if we should start a thread describing the sound signature of ST and the closest sounding speakers that you'e come across.
Due to the nature of ST online business, it might be hard for potential buyers to find someone close and willing to offer a proper audition.

For someone like me who doesn't stay in the states, this makes the situation worse. So a thread like this will be highly appreciated to aid in the route to choosing SongTowers as THE ultimate choice to make!

For eg, i have read someone posted ST is almost very close to Paradigm S2, though it may not necessarily sound better than that.

Art_Chicago

Re: SongTowers and equivilant speakers thread
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2010, 07:31 pm »
well, there is a sticky "What speakers did you replace" that may be useful.
Speaking of paradigm, I have auditioned the ST and S6 at my home, these two were pretty comparable. The S6's have larger woofers  and can move more air. They did not go deeper, though. But, providing that they cost 4.5K or more, it would be an easy choice.
I doubt that the S2 and the ST are in the same league.

bryede

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2010, 02:00 pm »
I own a pair of ST's and I am amazed.

Not only are they the most neutral and engaging speakers I've owned, indeed approaching the best I've heard, but they're designed by a guy (Mr. Murphy) who does this for a hobby without a six-plus-figure R&D budget. I understand that Jim keeps the margin low on his speakers so you're getting better components than you might from the big names, but it shows the potential of the DIY community and that there's ultimately no replacement for a good set of ears.

ralfale

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2010, 02:26 am »
well, there is a sticky "What speakers did you replace" that may be useful.
Speaking of paradigm, I have auditioned the ST and S6 at my home, these two were pretty comparable. The S6's have larger woofers  and can move more air. They did not go deeper, though. But, providing that they cost 4.5K or more, it would be an easy choice.
I doubt that the S2 and the ST are in the same league.

Yeah i've read that thread you've mentioned.
One thing i noticed in the thread, it does not contain many mainstream brands which is more commonly found.
Also, it throws the idea of what ST is better than, rather than what ST performs like.

ralfale

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2010, 02:29 am »
I own a pair of ST's and I am amazed.

Not only are they the most neutral and engaging speakers I've owned, indeed approaching the best I've heard, but they're designed by a guy (Mr. Murphy) who does this for a hobby without a six-plus-figure R&D budget. I understand that Jim keeps the margin low on his speakers so you're getting better components than you might from the big names, but it shows the potential of the DIY community and that there's ultimately no replacement for a good set of ears.

Yes, i have received call that my speaker has landed , pending delivery to my house.
The purpose of this thread, is to help potential buyers to be more informed of what they might be buying, rather than buying on the blind like me   :icon_lol:

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2010, 03:14 am »
The closest B&M speaker that I've heard (in comparison to the SongTower's) are the Paradigm Signature 2 v.2's.  I've yet to compare them side-by-side, though.

Hope that helps.

rahimlee54

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2010, 04:31 am »
I cant think of the guys name or the site he reviewed for, but one guy liked the Totem Sttaf just as much as the STs.  Both for various reasons.  Maybe he will chime in, he had a picture with 6 speakers or so surrounding the Songtowers and ended up buying a pair he licked them so much.  Maybe someone can come up with more detailed info.

Mudslide

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2010, 05:10 am »
Songtowers and ended up buying a pair he licked them so much.

Licking SongTowers?  That IS true love.   :lol:

rahimlee54

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2010, 05:18 am »
I'll leave it  :thumb:.

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2010, 05:26 am »
It was Zero, and he writes publications for a magazine (online I believe). 

bryede

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2010, 11:55 am »
Licking SongTowers?  That IS true love.   :lol:
Maybe Jim is offering candy coating now.

rahimlee54

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2010, 02:10 pm »
You guys didn't the newsletter including the taffy veneer?