Bryston preamps

colhogan

Bryston preamps
« on: 16 Jan 2010, 02:38 pm »
James:
 I recently picked up a second-hand BP-20. It sounds VERY DIFFERENT from the .5B I had been using in my system.VERY SMOOTH. :eyebrows:
I do have a technical question,though:
I have noticed that the .5B seems to have more gain than the BP-20 when using my 2B LP Amplifier.
However, the 2B seems to run out of steam quicker when I run the BP-20 with XLR cables.
If I use my .5B with RCA Cables, it seems the 2B takes longer to run out of gas.
I have read that the BP-20 puts out 15 volts via the RCA outs,& 30 volts for the XLR outs.
 Is this increase in voltage what I am hearing when the 2B is driven almost to clipping?
If I run the BP-20 with RCA cables,I don't seem to notice this issue nearly as much.
Regards,
Patrick

Mad Mr H

Re: Bryston preamps
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2010, 05:45 pm »
Maybe 1.5v or 3.0v is more what you mean

15 or 30  :nono:

colhogan

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2010, 12:19 am »
Nope. I'm reading it right here in front of me..
The manual for the BP-20 specifies the output voltages are 15 & 30 VOLTS,depending on if you use the RCA or XLR outputs.

1ZIP

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2010, 12:58 am »
FWIW - Both the BP20 & B26 manuals do say the Maximum out is 15 and 30 volts.

rob80b

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2010, 01:25 am »
James:
 I recently picked up a second-hand BP-20. It sounds VERY DIFFERENT from the .5B I had been using in my system.VERY SMOOTH. :eyebrows:
I do have a technical question,though:
I have noticed that the .5B seems to have more gain than the BP-20 when using my 2B LP Amplifier.
However, the 2B seems to run out of steam quicker when I run the BP-20 with XLR cables.
If I use my .5B with RCA Cables, it seems the 2B takes longer to run out of gas.
I have read that the BP-20 puts out 15 volts via the RCA outs,& 30 volts for the XLR outs.
 Is this increase in voltage what I am hearing when the 2B is driven almost to clipping?
If I run the BP-20 with RCA cables,I don't seem to notice this issue nearly as much.
Regards,
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I had the exact same experience when I upgraded from my .5 to BP25 a few years ago, Bryston probably gave the newer pre-amps less initial gain so that the ideal gain would allow the volume control to be me open and therefore more linear while reducing the noise level.
The newer preamps are smoother; although I have to admit I sometimes miss the more forward presentation of the .5.

Robert